PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney pick forces Indy to reach for Addai

Status
Not open for further replies.
workhorse said:
I'm not the only one that feels that way...

Fox Sports says...
What a really good day 1 for Bill Polian and the Colts. We chatted with Polian during the radio broadcast, and he raved about Joseph Addai's hard-nosed style. He is a skilled pass protector, a tough runner, and has good hands, all of which are very important in the Colts scheme.

On Maroney..
Negatives: Bit undersized and does not have the lower body power to break tackles when running into traffic...Lacks the push needed to move the pile, but is too undersized to gain too much positive yardage between the tackles...Lacks a feel for route running and is not fluid trying to adjust to the off-target throws...Lets the ball absorb into his body rather than pluck and extend to catch the ball...Non-factor as a blocker, as he does not show aggression stepping up vs. the blitz and just seems to go through the motions when asked to locate and neutralize the linebackers in the second level.

Sportsline...
Addai is a very quick and agile runner with the feet to make sharp cuts and can bounce inside runs outside when the middle is clogged up. Has very good vision and instincts, and really shows patience following his blockers and cutting sharply off their blocks. Has good hands catching passes out of the backfield and can make sharp cuts in the open field, which makes him a good open-field runner. Has the strength and balance to keep his feet when taking hard hits. Does a good job of pass blocking -- can cut block or block upright, and is effective doing both.

Maroney does not run aggressively on every snap, which limits his production. When there is no hole he tends to slow up, turns back and goes down easily. Too often he runs upright, does not attack the small hole and does not run aggressively on every carry. When he does not run aggressively, he does not break tackles and struggles to consistently gain yards after contact. He is not an elusive make-you-miss runner. He has a quick burst through the hole, but lacks the explosiveness through the hole and does not have the elite speed to run away from defenses. He is not a consistently productive pass blocker because he does not always step up and pick up blitzers aggressively.

I've seen several other places mentioning the same type of things, but I figured these two made the point.

Bottom line: Given a choice between Addai(who I think is a nice back), Maroney and Williams no way the Colts pick Addai. They pick Maroney or Williams. So while I don't think taking Addai at 30 was a reach in any way, he wouldn't have been their first choice.

workhorse said:
Actually, you just proved my point. Addai fits into the Colts system better right now. BTW, the Colts picked 30th, that's just 2 picks away from the second round. And as far as mock draft sites go, they are fun to at look and really don't mean much and nearly every one of them have Reggie Bush going number one.

Actually, I didn't prove your point. I proved the point that you weren't entirely correct in your assessment of Maroney.

Now, If draft sites don't mean much, why are you using them to support your claims that Addai is a better receiver than Maroney(which I don't think he is)? I would think that if Addai was that much better of a receiver than Maroney, that Addai would have had significantly more receptions with the LSU offense designed the way it is. Especially since Addai was the primary back this year. LSU is a much more pass oriented offense when it comes to including their RBs, yet Addai only had 3 more receptions and 10 more yards than Maroney. As a 5th year receiver, I would expect Addai to be much more polished in the blitz pick-up than Maroney, but I would also expect him to be better in the passing game. Yet, the numbers don't support that.

Now, I only see Addai, if he is successful, as being a short term solution. I don't see Addai as having the ability to be a full time back. I seem him in the same mold as Kevin Faulk. A 3rd down / Change of pace back. He is closer to a clone of Domenic Rhodes from what I have seen. And that isn't a knock against Rhodes. He did well back in 2001 (?) when James went down to injury.

Can someone please tell me that how picking Addai at 30 was a reach when he was according to Gosselin's Top 100 list Addai was the 32nd highest rated player in the draft??

Gosselin's "Top 100 is compiled based on conversations with general managers, personnel directors, pro and college coaches and scouts." Gosselin's Top 100 has consistently been the best Top 100 list.

Would the Colts have loved to have selected Maroney (#22) or Williams (#25) at 30?? Yes!! Because those would have been tremendous value picks. But that does not mean that selecting Addai (#32) at 30 was a reach.

Miguel said:
Can someone please tell me that how picking Addai at 30 was a reach when he was according to Gosselin's Top 100 list Addai was the 32nd highest rated player in the draft??

Gosselin's "Top 100 is compiled based on conversations with general managers, personnel directors, pro and college coaches and scouts." Gosselin's Top 100 has consistently been the best Top 100 list.

Would the Colts have loved to have selected Maroney (#22) or Williams (#25) at 30?? Yes!! Because those would have been tremendous value picks. But that does not mean that selecting Addai (#32) at 30 was a reach.

Thank you.

I think Addai will give the Colts 80% of Edge's pass-catching ability, but far less of his running ability. Addai was not a reach... that said, I'd rather have Maroney.

Miguel said:

I don't know about Williams, but Maroney was obviously rated higher by both the Pats and the Colts. The Colts would have been a better team with Maroney no matter what the Colts' fans say. And while I'm sure that's not the reason BB selected Maroney, you have to believe BB knew the Colts wanted Maroney, knew they would have been a better team with him, and was quite happy that he's a Patriot instead of being a Colt.

bucky said:
I don't know about Williams, but Maroney was obviously rated higher by both the Pats and the Colts. The Colts would have been a better team with Maroney no matter what the Colts' fans say. And while I'm sure that's not the reason BB selected Maroney, you have to believe BB knew the Colts wanted Maroney, knew they would have been a better team with him, and was quite happy that he's a Patriot instead of being a Colt.

I never said that Maroney wasn't a good back, I just stated that right now Addai is more prepared to fit into the Colts system. I think both are going to be good backs and I think the Colts would have been happy to select Maroney if he were there, but for where the Colts were picking Addai is a good grab. But, like I have said before, I seriously doubt the Pats picked Maroney just so the Colts couldn't get him. Three thing make me say that. One, Super Bowl teams don't get there by using their #1 pick to draft players away from other teams. Two, the Colts aren't even in the same division as the Pats. I think that the Pats are much more concerned about teams in their own division. Three, even though many posters on this board think that Addai was a reach, the Pats' front office knew that Maroney was not the last RB out there.

Miguel said:

Not only that, for each of the past four years, he has gotten at least 87 of the top 100 correct. NOBODY ELSE has gotten 87 even ONE time.

Also, Gosselin (whose mock drafts also have been the most accurate for years) had Addai going to the Colts in all three of his mock drafts -- April 15, April 22 and draft day.

In other words, the Colts drafting Addai was neither a reach nor a surprise.

Here's a great quote from Dr Z's latest column:

"Tony Dungy very honestly said before the draft that RB Joseph Addai is a very nice person, steady, kind of unspectacular, but he stands up when a lady enters the room and speaks when spoken to. His only failing is that he's not Laurence Maroney, whom the coach really wanted."

bucky said:

But that still does not explain how selecting Addai was a reach.

Why would Peyton be so dumb to say something like that?

Because Peytie is a stupid hick with no g-d sense

bakes781 said:
Why would Peyton be so dumb to say something like that?

Maybe because he IS dumb?

T-ShirtDynasty said:
You callin' Tommy a liar? Who's got my back? ;)

I've totally got your back.

And is it true that you're a female? For all the time that we've traded posts I thought you were a dude.

:eek:

you know, we all hate manning apprently but guess what, chances are he and tom and friends or are atleast friendly. Perhaps peyton made a joke and tommy was just saying for laughs. We dont really need to attack peyton for EVERY little thing he says do we?

Brownfan80 said:
I've totally got your back.

And is it true that you're a female? For all the time that we've traded posts I thought you were a dude.

:eek:
I told you guys to shut up about that, you keep talking about it and the wife is gonna catch wind of it. :cool:

desi-patsfan said:
you know, we all hate manning apprently but guess what, chances are he and tom and friends or are atleast friendly. Perhaps peyton made a joke and tommy was just saying for laughs. We dont really need to attack peyton for EVERY little thing he says do we?
Cut that meat! Cut that meat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back