PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney pick forces Indy to reach for Addai

Status
Not open for further replies.
rainmaker said:
Maybe I'm into Jedi-mind tricks, but I like to think that BB intentionally went RB and picked Maroney, knowing that Deangelo Williams would go soon after. After these two RBs were gone, the RB class for the versatile type of RB Indy wanted went razor thin and they had to reach for Addai, a consensus 2nd or 3rd rounder. It was also interesting that Maroney compared himself to Edge.

I would also offer that our Maroney pick influenced the Steelers. They needed a RB, but no longer liked their position at 32 after we took Maroney (if I have that timing right --- I had to be away from the TV when it all happened).

Carolina helped us siphon off the best RB's but now I'm a little worried about the Panthers --- great Day One for them I think.

Why are you worried about the Panthers? They're in the NFC.

Joker said:
Yeah, worrying about how to beat them consistently would be a very good thing :)

Joker said:

I take it for granted that we'll be in the Super Bowl 2 of the next 3 years.:singing:

maverick4 said:
I mentioned the same thing a while ago in the Shanahan thread, but I'm glad you brought this up and quoted the Yahoo article. It makes me feel like I'm not the only conspiracy theorist here :)

About drafting Maroney...I don't think Belichick thought about it at the time - he was probably going for best value and fit for the Patriots.

However, I LOVE that Polian's plan backfired on him. He resigned all of his receivers and quarterback to huge contracts, and let the engine of his offense sign with Arizona. He was probably eyeing Maroney or Williams to replace Edge. Instead, he's stuck with a slightly better version of Kevin Faulk.

I'll say this: the Colts' golden years have already peaked. Their past two years were their best chance at a championship. From here on out, it will be a slow decline for the rest of Manning's career.

I think that if Maroney and Addai were both there when the Colts picked, they still may have taken Addai. The knock on Maroney is he is only a runner, not a receiver or blocker. Addai fits into the Colts offense much better with his receiving and pass blocking. Just my 2 cents.

workhorse said:
I think that if Maroney and Addai were both there when the Colts picked, they still may have taken Addai. The knock on Maroney is he is only a runner, not a receiver or blocker. Addai fits into the Colts offense much better with his receiving and pass blocking. Just my 2 cents.

Very erroneous analysis. Maroney is a better blocker than Addai, and while he's not as good as Addai out of the backfield, he's very good. Maroney reminds me the most of Edge out of any RB drafting since Edge.

That being said, I think the theory that the Patriots used a first round pick to deny a player to another team is ridiculous.

Dungy was on 1510thezone this morning. He pretty much admitted, in not so many words, that Addai was their 3rd choice. He said they considered trading up to 20, but decided the difference in RBs wasn't that big.

Maroney is clearly the perfect RB for the Colts because he ran the stretch play at Minnesota. He would have ended up in Denver had they not traded up for Cutler.

I'm sure BB didn't take Maroney just to spite the Colts, but I'm sure he knew exactly who was interested in the guy. Addai might be comparable to the Edge of today, but Maroney is more comparable to the young Edge who had more juke and speed.

BB picked Maroney for the Pats not to stop the Colts

There's no way BB picks Maroney just to stop him from going to the Colts, although I'm sure as an afterthought, it was a plus.

dryheat44 said:
Very erroneous analysis. Maroney is a better blocker than Addai, and while he's not as good as Addai out of the backfield, he's very good. Maroney reminds me the most of Edge out of any RB drafting since Edge.

That being said, I think the theory that the Patriots used a first round pick to deny a player to another team is ridiculous.

I'm not the only one that feels that way...

Fox Sports says...
What a really good day 1 for Bill Polian and the Colts. We chatted with Polian during the radio broadcast, and he raved about Joseph Addai's hard-nosed style. He is a skilled pass protector, a tough runner, and has good hands, all of which are very important in the Colts scheme.

On Maroney..
Negatives: Bit undersized and does not have the lower body power to break tackles when running into traffic...Lacks the push needed to move the pile, but is too undersized to gain too much positive yardage between the tackles...Lacks a feel for route running and is not fluid trying to adjust to the off-target throws...Lets the ball absorb into his body rather than pluck and extend to catch the ball...Non-factor as a blocker, as he does not show aggression stepping up vs. the blitz and just seems to go through the motions when asked to locate and neutralize the linebackers in the second level.

Sportsline...
Addai is a very quick and agile runner with the feet to make sharp cuts and can bounce inside runs outside when the middle is clogged up. Has very good vision and instincts, and really shows patience following his blockers and cutting sharply off their blocks. Has good hands catching passes out of the backfield and can make sharp cuts in the open field, which makes him a good open-field runner. Has the strength and balance to keep his feet when taking hard hits. Does a good job of pass blocking -- can cut block or block upright, and is effective doing both.

Maroney does not run aggressively on every snap, which limits his production. When there is no hole he tends to slow up, turns back and goes down easily. Too often he runs upright, does not attack the small hole and does not run aggressively on every carry. When he does not run aggressively, he does not break tackles and struggles to consistently gain yards after contact. He is not an elusive make-you-miss runner. He has a quick burst through the hole, but lacks the explosiveness through the hole and does not have the elite speed to run away from defenses. He is not a consistently productive pass blocker because he does not always step up and pick up blitzers aggressively.

I've seen several other places mentioning the same type of things, but I figured these two made the point.

Yeah...you made your point alright...it's right there on top of your head.

Poor Patriots got a RB that ran 47 times in one game, put up 170 plus on Ohio State with THEIR 5 high draft picks in this year's draft, and averaged 5.6 yards a game...you PayMeTons idiots always try the same crap...Polian is an idiot, your QB is the most overated POS in NFL history and Colts fans are the worst homeristic goobers in the entire country

Last edited:
workhorse said:

I've seen several other places mentioning the same type of things, but I figured these two made the point.

Maybe you should listen to your HC who admitted on national radio today that Addai wasn't their first choice and they tried to trade up to 20.

workhorse said:

Fox Sports says...
Joseph Addai's hard-nosed style. He is a skilled pass protector, a tough runner,.

On Maroney..
is too undersized to gain too much positive yardage between the tackles....

The point being that you can select just the parts of an analysis that favors your pre-judged position? Give the positives of one player and the negatives of another as a comparison tool?

Addai is a tough runner and Maroney is undersized? You think Addai is bigger than Maroney? This is what happens when you try to manipulate data.

I never saw any predraft rankings rate Addai as higher or better than Maroney. And since Maroney went off the board 2nd RB and Addai 4th RB, I doubt anyone has suddenly jumped Addai over Maroney.

Last edited:
rainmaker said:
Maybe I'm into Jedi-mind tricks, but I like to think that BB intentionally went RB and picked Maroney, knowing that Deangelo Williams would go soon after. After these two RBs were gone, the RB class for the versatile type of RB Indy wanted went razor thin and they had to reach for Addai, a consensus 2nd or 3rd rounder. It was also interesting that Maroney compared himself to Edge.
I'd rather believe Bellichick took him because he saw great potential in him as our future back.

workhorse said:

Fox Sports says...
What a really good day 1 for Bill Polian and the Colts. We chatted with Polian during the radio broadcast, and he raved about Joseph Addai's hard-nosed style. He is a skilled pass protector, a tough runner, and has good hands, all of which are very important in the Colts scheme.

On Maroney..
Negatives: Bit undersized and does not have the lower body power to break tackles when running into traffic...Lacks the push needed to move the pile, but is too undersized to gain too much positive yardage between the tackles...Lacks a feel for route running and is not fluid trying to adjust to the off-target throws...Lets the ball absorb into his body rather than pluck and extend to catch the ball...Non-factor as a blocker, as he does not show aggression stepping up vs. the blitz and just seems to go through the motions when asked to locate and neutralize the linebackers in the second level.

Sportsline...
Addai is a very quick and agile runner with the feet to make sharp cuts and can bounce inside runs outside when the middle is clogged up. Has very good vision and instincts, and really shows patience following his blockers and cutting sharply off their blocks. Has good hands catching passes out of the backfield and can make sharp cuts in the open field, which makes him a good open-field runner. Has the strength and balance to keep his feet when taking hard hits. Does a good job of pass blocking -- can cut block or block upright, and is effective doing both.

Maroney does not run aggressively on every snap, which limits his production. When there is no hole he tends to slow up, turns back and goes down easily. Too often he runs upright, does not attack the small hole and does not run aggressively on every carry. When he does not run aggressively, he does not break tackles and struggles to consistently gain yards after contact. He is not an elusive make-you-miss runner. He has a quick burst through the hole, but lacks the explosiveness through the hole and does not have the elite speed to run away from defenses. He is not a consistently productive pass blocker because he does not always step up and pick up blitzers aggressively.

What do you expect Polian to say? He's one of the most arrogant people in the NFL. Do you think he'd say, "damn, we wanted Maroney, but NE scooped him first".

Typical Dolts fan...Always searching for the silver lining on the rain cloud which they live under....

MDPATSFAN said:
Typical Dolts fan...Always searching for the silver lining on the rain cloud which they live under....

Please. Both team got good backs. It's just not as bad for the Colts as many here want it to be.

Kdo5 said:
I'd rather believe Bellichick took him because he saw great potential in him as our future back.

Bingo. If you guys actually think that your front office makes a pick to screw a team that not even in your division, you're being foolish.

Man you guys need to chill. The point I'm making is that the Colts didn't get "screwed" by the Pats taking Maroney. Both backs are very good, Addai has more experience in the passing game, which is a plus for the Colts.

spacecrime said:
The point being that you can select just the parts of an analysis that favors your pre-judged position? Give the positives of one player and the negatives of another as a comparison tool?

Addai is a tough runner and Maroney is undersized? You think Addai is bigger than Maroney? This is what happens when you try to manipulate data.

I never saw any predraft rankings rate Addai as higher or better than Maroney. And since Maroney went off the board 2nd RB and Addai 4th RB, I doubt anyone has suddenly jumped Addai over Maroney.

I was showing how Addai has pass blocking and receiving as part of his game and that Maroney doesn't at this point.

workhorse said:
I was showing how Addai has pass blocking and receiving as part of his game and that Maroney doesn't at this point.
That last part is completely not true.

workhorse said:

Workhorse -
If you want to try and prove that Maroney doesn't have receiving skills, but Addai does, wouldn't it be better to post their receptions and yardage of each? However, if you DO decide to do that, you should also mention that Minnesota was a run oriented team that didn't use the running back much in the passing schemes in previous years and that, in previous years, they used a 2 back rotation.

For the record, Maroney had 21 career receptions for 197 yards. This year, he had 17 of those receptions for 170 yards. And remember, Minnesota tended not to use the RB in its passing game. The reason it was used more was because Maroney went to the coaches and ASKED to be included in the passing game more this year.

LSU, on the other hand, always has used the RB in its passing game. Addai has 66 career receptions for 641 yards. However, this year, he had 20 receptions for only 180 yards.

Also, I would expect Addai, as a 5th year senior, to be more polished in the blitz pick-up and pass receiving than Maroney, a 3rd year junior. Wouldn't you?

OH, one last thing. Most draft site had Addai as a 2nd rounder up until about 2 weeks ago when the rumors came out that Indy was seriously looking for a 1st round RB and many places felt that they would reach for Addai since they felt that Bush, Maroney and Williams would be off the board.

Maroney had a small receiving game, but mostly they didn't think to pass to him ever. if it was a pass play, he was the blocker, not the screen guy.

And then another point is that Minnesota didn't have that much of a passing game. Cupito(Minnesota QB) averaged only 15-20 pass ATTEMPTS/game many times

DaBruinz said:
Workhorse -
If you want to try and prove that Maroney doesn't have receiving skills, but Addai does, wouldn't it be better to post their receptions and yardage of each? However, if you DO decide to do that, you should also mention that Minnesota was a run oriented team that didn't use the running back much in the passing schemes in previous years and that, in previous years, they used a 2 back rotation.

For the record, Maroney had 21 career receptions for 197 yards. This year, he had 17 of those receptions for 170 yards. And remember, Minnesota tended not to use the RB in its passing game. The reason it was used more was because Maroney went to the coaches and ASKED to be included in the passing game more this year.

LSU, on the other hand, always has used the RB in its passing game. Addai has 66 career receptions for 641 yards. However, this year, he had 20 receptions for only 180 yards.

Also, I would expect Addai, as a 5th year senior, to be more polished in the blitz pick-up and pass receiving than Maroney, a 3rd year junior. Wouldn't you?

OH, one last thing. Most draft site had Addai as a 2nd rounder up until about 2 weeks ago when the rumors came out that Indy was seriously looking for a 1st round RB and many places felt that they would reach for Addai since they felt that Bush, Maroney and Williams would be off the board.

Actually, you just proved my point. Addai fits into the Colts system better right now. BTW, the Colts picked 30th, that's just 2 picks away from the second round. And as far as mock draft sites go, they are fun to at look and really don't mean much and nearly every one of them have Reggie Bush going number one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back