PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney best goal-line back in AFC East

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the young Curtis were on this team we would be all set at RB, no question about it... and we wouldn't need 100 RBS because they can't play more than 3 games without getting hurt after 12 carries.

His endurance, guts and consistency were his marks of greatness, none of which could have been predicted by his performance up to that time.

From a physical stand point, I don't consider him one of the great running backs. He didn't punish defenses or take over games.

Seeing that the Pats career rushing leader is Sam Bam Cunningham at 5453 that really isn't that big of a deal. I do like saying Sam Bam Cunningham though. Leonard Russell had more yards rushing and scored more TD's in his three years in NE than Maroney has had in his career so far. Russell was out of the league by his 28th birthday. John Stephens had 3249 yards in his 5 years in NE and was also out of the league by his 28th birthday. All three were #1 picks.

Not saying it's a big deal, but that's fifty years of football. My point is, he's who we have now, he has undeniable speed and power and is improving his running style (IMO). He's been injured and inconsistent, which could have been self reinforcing.

He's the horse we have now, if he's healthy let's ride him and see what happens. Draft picks are crap shoots (the list of top ten RB flops alone would make you sick, even just the one's from Penn State), and he's only 25.

Not saying it's a big deal, but that's fifty years of football. My point is, he's who we have now, he has undeniable speed and power and is improving his running style (IMO). He's been injured and inconsistent, which could have been self reinforcing.

He's the horse we have now, if he's healthy let's ride him and see what happens. Draft picks are crap shoots (the list of top ten RB flops alone would make you sick, even just the one's from Penn State), and he's only 25.

I think Robert Edwards was on his was to a HOF career or at least the best Patriots rusher ever and a Pats HOFer ..but that stupid fU(king pro bowl....grrrrr :mad:

I think Robert Edwards was on his was to a HOF career or at least the best Patriots rusher ever and a Pats HOFer ..but that stupid fU(king pro bowl....grrrrr :mad:

Well, you never know, that's my point. so much more than physical ability. I think Maroney fought like hell to run tough and avoid the jitterbug which is why I'm in his corner. He'll work on his ball security i bet, like Faulk did. The guy is 25 years old and showed he can run tough and break into the open field. He just needs consistency, but again, 25 years old. I don't want to draft another and have the same fans want to cut the new guy next year, that's a strategy of the Detroit Lions of the world.

We have much bigger problems than running back IMO. Our play calling consistency is a bigger factor than the running of four decent backs. I imagine the other teams coaches tell them at half time the Patriots are done running the ball for the day, because it was obvious last year. Just awful, and predictable.

I know what you're saying and I agree for the most part. I would like to see him go out there this year rush for 1200 yards not have any fumbling issues at the goal line, not dance behind the line of scrimmage and stay healthy. That being said If Fred Taylor, BJGE or a draft pick could do the same then that would be fine too. I would like to see the Pats be less one dimmensional and have a more consistent running game if for no other reason than to not allow teams to tee off on Brady. With Welker most likely out for at least the start of the season, maybe they can at least try to develop some running game consistentcy and balance to the offense. I'm just not convinced that Maroney is a reliable 16 game starting RB.

We have much bigger problems than running back IMO. Our play calling consistency is a bigger factor than the running of four decent backs. I imagine the other teams coaches tell them at half time the Patriots are done running the ball for the day, because it was obvious last year. Just awful, and predictable.

I completely agree.

Pete Carroll couldn't disagree more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick