PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney best goal-line back in AFC East

Status
Not open for further replies.
LMAO. He was given 4 chances at 20 carries a game. I expect him to reach 100 yards once. He didn't.

Maroney's only 100 yard game of the season? Was against the 59-0 Titans, so don't give me crap about the Bills.

I can't wait on draft day when all you guys are crying when in the 2nd round we take a RB while me, Harkdawg, VJCpatriot, and many more, rejoice! :)

EDIT: His YPC in those four games: 3.5, 3.5, 4.3 ,4.1.

How Maroney caused us to shift our gameplan to passing, which didn't work.
Our Losses in 2009

Week 2 NYJ: 6 carries 23 yards 3.8 ypc- Inneffective early causing us to pass on every down, Rex Ryan blitzes every down, we score 9 points.
Week 5 DEN: 5 carries 21 yards 4.2ypc- Ineffective on 3rd and short, BB goes to pass happy, we don't score a point in the second half.
Week 10 IND: 13 carries 31 yards 2.4ypc-Ineffective, O'brien goes nuts with kevin faulk draws, works, but fails to ends the game at the end. Maroney also fumbled at the 1.
Week 12 NO: Only time I was pleased with Maroney. 15 carries 64 cards 4.3ypc. This game would've been much closer if we didn't abandon the run, Maroney did the whole first drive. (see I'm not bias, I just say it how it is)
Week 13 MIA: 13 carries 41 yards 3.2ypc- Horrible second half offense, pass happy...
Week 17 HOU: Did not play in

Yes, Be an idiot and blame it all on Maroney and don't mention the friggin O-line which was horribly inconsistent all year. Forget the fact that BB called out the O-line last year saying they weren't doing a good enough job sprining Maroney.

BTW, it's clear your expectations are out of whack. you'll just never admit it.

Also, can you please provide factual proof that Maroney, specifically, was the cause for this supposed shift in the Pats gameplan that you are referring to.

Last edited:
Yes, Be an idiot and blame it all on Maroney and don't mention the friggin O-line which was horribly inconsistent all year. Forget the fact that BB called out the O-line last year saying they weren't doing a good enough job sprining Maroney.

Also, can you please provide factual proof that Maroney, specifically, was the cause for this supposed shift in the Pats gameplan that you are referring to.

Ah, call me an idiot. The O-line was fine for the other backs. Expectations out of whack?!?!?! You're soft. I want a back I can depend on, Maroney isn't dependable and gets stuffed 3rd and 1 and 2.

Facts hmmmm...

Maroney is running horrible, getting barely any yards, pats must now throw the ball. Durp.

19 days until a new back.

This thread has clearly gone off the deep end, but Maroney clearly isn't the back we thought he would be when he was drafted in 2006. As most people know, I was very high on Maroney and predicted the Pats would draft him even though the majority disagreed and thought they would draft Bobby Carpenter. I also predicited Chad Jackson. 2 for 2 right? :rolleyes:

The Pats are probably going to do one of two things this season, either draft better O-lineman as they are terrible at run blocking, or move on and draft another RB that can plow through defenders and hide the deficiencies of the current O-line.

Last edited:
Ah, call me an idiot. The O-line was fine for the other backs. Expectations out of whack?!?!?! You're soft. I want a back I can depend on, Maroney isn't dependable and gets stuffed 3rd and 1 and 2.

Facts hmmmm...

Maroney is running horrible, getting barely any yards, pats must now throw the ball. Durp.

19 days until a new back.

Maroney was the 3rd best back in the East at converting 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 2. I think you should be looking towards Sammy Morris for the failures there.

Maroney is not going anywhere.

And as you ask, i'll call you an idiot as well.

Maroney was the 3rd best back in the East at converting 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 2. I think you should be looking towards Sammy Morris for the failures there.

Maroney is not going anywhere.

And as you ask, i'll call you an idiot as well.

What makes you so sure Maroney isn't going anywhere? If you are a Maroney groupie that is understandable and you have your opinion. Please don't ask to change mine. He has not lived up to his first round expectations. Even the most ardent Maroney disciple has to believe that.

The fact is that BB has let it be known his concern speaks volumes. He usually praises a player one day and cuts him soon after. I don't know what that all means but he wasn't blowing him any kisses and it is Maroney's last contract year. The best call is let BB get what he can get. He will not be an integral part of the offensive. Situational? Perhaps.

Compare a 33 year old Morris to 26 year old Maroney? Give me a fourth rounder and let's call it a day. Projected 4th or later round RBs if we prefer to go that route:

McKnight, Dixon, Starks (interviewed), Miller, Bell and I will go out on a limb and say one of these RBs will do the same job or better for a non-first round pick salary than LoMo. Anyone dispute that? Tell me why he should be kept over one of these guys. Convince me. It certainly is not consistent on field productivity. Is that a fair statement?

I would like to see LoMo do well but not against us and I can't see it here....IMO.
DW Toys

Last edited:
Go to Mcsully's post in the draftboard about his visit to the pre-draft party.

Tedy Bruschi: "It's about time to move on from Maroney".

I guess Tedy's an idiot too? The most beloved patriot doesn't even like Maroney.

Go to Mcsully's post in the draftboard about his visit to the pre-draft party.

Tedy Bruschi: "It's about time to move on from Maroney".

I guess Tedy's an idiot too? The most beloved patriot doesn't even like Maroney.

If Maroney was so great, on 3rd and 2 then 4th and 2, he would have gotten the ball against Indy..
But that's just my opinion

MOving on.. I was just going to post my comment about what I heard last night.. Guys, if Bruschi is saying its time we add new blood and it seems like Maroney has not gotten better, lets put the torch down and move on.. Seems like people are debating just not to appear wrong..

Last edited:

Oh look, it's the resident blowhard insulting people who don't agree with him, again.

Funny how last time I called you out, you claimed that you didn't insult other posters and act like a total jerk when someone does not agree with you. Ha-ha, looks like it's more lies from Patsfans biggest homer/ jerkoff.

Hey DaBruinz, how did you become such a patriots shill? I mean honestly, how do you wash so many sets of balls each and every week?

Last edited:
I think there are factors here people don't realize.

There are very few top running backs. We had one, Corey Dillon. Jim Nance had two thousand yard seasons, one 750 and not much besides that.

The average top workhorse running back has 7 - 9 top seasons. This range includes Dillon, Tomlinson and Jim Brown. Guys like Curtis Martin, Payton and Emmit smith are relative freaks with 2-3 more highly productive seasons.

Look at Adrian Peterson's average yards, they're on a distinct downward slope and the Vikes seem to be looking for some depth there.

Our own Fred Taylor is an example of a player roundly criticized for being fragile who has had a great later career while other running backs have wilted from years of pounding.

A lot of posters want to draft the same positions over and over, then ditch them as busts if they aren't all pro within two years. that's how you end up as the Detroit Lions. Oh yeah, the top WR this year is going to be the one to solve all the problems, Matt.:rolleyes:

Maroney's played well when healthy, and seems to have adjusted to the hard running style necessary in the NFL. I wouldn't mind seeing an old style full back that really blocks and can carry the rock too, now that our infatuation with #1 pick TEs seems to be passed. We used a fullback quite effectively in the early Belichick era. Pass catching ability assumed, I guess.

If there's a RB that's a good value, and our other needs are met, that's fine, but right now, I'd give Maroney the rock and say "show us what you've got" as we decide whether or not to sign long term.

Last edited:
I think there are factors here people don't realize.

There are very few top running backs. We had one, Corey Dillon. Jim Nance had two thousand yard seasons, one 750 and not much besides that.

The average top workhorse running back has 7 - 9 top seasons. This range includes Dillon, Tomlinson and Jim Brown. Guys like Curtis Martin, Payton and Emmit smith are relative freaks with 2-3 more highly productive seasons.

Look at Adrian Peterson's average yards, they're on a distinct downward slope and the Vikes seem to be looking for some depth there.

Our own Fred Taylor is an example of a player roundly criticized for being fragile who has had a great later career while other running backs have wilted from years of pounding.

A lot of posters want to draft the same positions over and over, then ditch them as busts if they aren't all pro within two years. that's how you end up as the Detroit Lions. Oh yeah, the top WR this year is going to be the one to solve all the problems, Matt.:rolleyes:

Maroney's played well when healthy, and seems to have adjusted to the hard running style necessary in the NFL. I wouldn't mind seeing an old style full back that really blocks and can carry the rock too, now that our infatuation with #1 pick TEs seems to be passed. We used a fullback quite effectively in the early Belichick era. Pass catching ability assumed, I guess.

If there's a RB that's a good value, and our other needs are met, that's fine, but right now, I'd give Maroney the rock and say "show us what you've got" as we decide whether or not to sign long term.

Has this not been happening for the last 4 years :confused:

Maroney is an average to decent back, thats the truth.

I'd like to see the pats hang on to him and draft a pounder (cut morris ) to pair him with.

Last edited:

I'd like to see the pats hang on to him and draft a pounder (cut morris ) to pair him with.[/QUOTE

Pats 2010 RB Depth Chart

1. Toby Gerhart (main power back)
2. Laurence Maroney (scat back)
3. BJGE (insurance if 1. Or 2. Gets injured)
4. Kevin Faulk (3rd down receiving back)

Both Morris and Taylor replaced with a young back,Maroney demoted to 2.

Maroney is unremarkable. Just another forgettable RB filling up an NFL roster. Average talent.

The only thing remotely interesting about maroney are the throngs of message board supporters who defend his marginal play, year in, year out.

Maroney could disappear from the league and most would hardly notice. Truth.

Maroney is unremarkable. Just another forgettable RB filling up an NFL roster. Average talent.

The only thing remotely interesting about maroney are the throngs of message board supporters who defend his marginal play, year in, year out.

Maroney could disappear from the league and most would hardly notice. Truth.

100% Agree,Although I think BB will give him another chance in his final year of contract to be something other than irrelevant in the outcome of games as usual....last chance,but he will be on this years roster IMO.

If this were not his last year on the contract I would otherwise have predicted a cut but with his lower salary,I doubt he leaves in 2010.

HOWEVER - I think either Morris or Taylor will get cut to make room for a rookie RB like Ryan Matthews who I like and possibly BJGE gets cut in place of a bruising rookie FB in the late rounds of the draft- there will be 5 backs at most on the opening roster.

Last edited:
I personally think our run blocking last year was terrible.

I wouldn't mind seeing an old style full back that really blocks and can carry the rock too, now that our infatuation with #1 pick TEs seems to have passed. We used a fullback quite effectively in the early Belichick era. Pass catching ability assumed, I guess.

I approve of this message.

Also, as others have noted, our run-blocking could be better. Koppen & Kaczur need to be replaced, ASAP. Vollmer will replace Kaczur; perhaps Maurkice Pouncey or Eric Olsen can replace Koppen.

Bill should be able to find a legit FB & either a btwn-the-Tackles bruiser or a home-run-hitter in the last 2 rounds, or as UDFAs, in the draft. Those 2 can replace BJGE (sorry, Law Firm fans) & either Morris or Taylor. We simply cannot - must not - have a backfield of 3 30-somethings, an underacheiver in the last year of his contract, and a 3rd-year JAG.

I'd like to see the pats hang on to him and draft a pounder (cut morris ) to pair him with.

No it hasn't. He's had legitimate injuries including a broken bone in his shoulder. He still averaged 4.3 and 4.5 per carry his first two years also.

My point is, most running backs get injured, few are superstars, and even they have 7 or 8 top years.

Fred Taylor had the same questions at this point in his career and went on to be outstanding later.

People are comparing him to some imaginary standard of running backs who never get hurt and always gain 1,000 yards. He had a serious injury he tried to play through and showed some consistency to me, at least, last year. If at the end of the year, his price and performance don't match, let him go.

As a long time Pats fan, I can tell you we've had one great running back in 50 years, we traded for his twilight and got one outstanding year out of him.

At 25 years old, Maroney is 3,019 yards from becoming the all time rushing leader on the Patriots.

Just a little perspective.

No it hasn't. He's had legitimate injuries including a broken bone in his shoulder. He still averaged 4.3 and 4.5 per carry his first two years also.

My point is, most running backs get injured, few are superstars, and even they have 7 or 8 top years.

Fred Taylor had the same questions at this point in his career and went on to be outstanding later.

People are comparing him to some imaginary standard of running backs who never get hurt and always gain 1,000 yards. He had a serious injury he tried to play through and showed some consistency to me, at least, last year. If at the end of the year, his price and performance don't match, let him go.

As a long time Pats fan, I can tell you we've had one great running back in 50 years, we traded for his twilight and got one outstanding year out of him.

At 25 years old, Maroney is 3,019 yards from becoming the all time rushing leader on the Patriots.

I disagree, we DRAFTED a great RB and let him walk after only 3 years, where he continued his excellence for a long while afterward.
Where he was allowed to go is a travesty.

I disagree, we DRAFTED a great RB and let him walk after only 3 years, where he continued his excellence for a long while afterward.
Where he was allowed to go is a travesty.

Yeah well we let a great left handed pitcher go, then the Yankees won like 20 titles.

Sometimes you just have to let go.:rolleyes:

OK, I agree, since obviously I mentioned Curtis, that he proved to be a great back. Nevertheless, he was a good back that had his best years elsewhere, so I fanned on that.

These were his YPC his first four years, btw. 4.0, 3.6, 4.2 3.5

Last edited:
Yeah well we let a great left handed pitcher go, then the Yankees won like 20 titles.

Sometimes you just have to let go.:rolleyes:

OK, I agree, since obviously I mentioned Curtis, that he proved to be a great back. Nevertheless, he was a good back that had his best years elsewhere, so I fanned on that.

These were his YPC his first four years, btw. 4.0, 3.6, 4.2 3.5

If the young Curtis were on this team we would be all set at RB, no question about it... and we wouldn't need 100 RBS because they can't play more than 3 games without getting hurt after 12 carries.

Seeing that the Pats career rushing leader is Sam Bam Cunningham at 5453 that really isn't that big of a deal. I do like saying Sam Bam Cunningham though. Leonard Russell had more yards rushing and scored more TD's in his three years in NE than Maroney has had in his career so far. Russell was out of the league by his 28th birthday. John Stephens had 3249 yards in his 5 years in NE and was also out of the league by his 28th birthday. All three were #1 picks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back