PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney as feature back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree question should be more broad, will the Patriots have an effective running game in 2007.

Effective is measured in 2 ways:
1) Numbers - Total yardage and YPC
2) Eyeball test
- are they able to grind out critical yards on the ground in the 4th quarter?
- is there enough of a balance run versus pass to keep the opponents off balance? (play calling factors into this)

2006 Observations - The running game was productive 123 YPG (12th in NFL) and average or slightly less than average with its 3.9 YPC. The eyeball test shows that the running game was inconsistent with the most likely cause being a lack of respect for the passing game.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/b...rence=NFL&year=season_2006&sort=39&timeframe=

2007 Roster Analysis
[*]Maroney - He has a lot to prove, he was not a feature back in college and was not able to complete his first season in the NFL without injury. He should come to camp a little bigger (222-226) after a full NFL offseason and be able to assume an increased role. As of right now he is the 3rd ranked RB (Brown, Jones). At the NFL level 50% of RB success is taking the field. Any half decent back who gets 15+ carries per game is going to put up good numbers, the hard part is staying healthy.
[*]Morris - Solid, not spectacular back, should get some limited carries (4-8 per game). Never rushed for more than 550 yards, career high 132 attempts in 2004. Surprised that he was given a 4 year contract, nothing special about him at all.

I agree here. I think Morris was intended to come in as a backup role. He'd probably split carries with Faulk if Maroney goes down. I still think Maroney is the future of New England until he proves me wrong.

i think people are writing off Heath Evans...we just signed him for 2 years which means he is going to be part of hte offense, not just a fill-in guy. If i recall correctly he had a number of big first down runs this year, hes the reason i dont think we will target brian leonard in the draft (ive heard his name thrown out there alot)...he fills the void of having no official fullback, but is quick enough to hit holes as a backup runner...I think morris/faulk/evans/pass(?)/Mills is a complete bocking/running/catching group of backs where the pressure wont all be on maroney this year...

You really prefer Dillon to Maroney? I think we let the right RB go. I think we are much better off with Maroney than Dillon.
Did I say that?? No...actially. Maroney has a BIG upside he is explosive at times..but I do not think he's the steady go to back to get a few yards a carry inside. Do I prefer Dillon/Maroney to Maroney?? Yes..I loved the 1-2 punch...Morris/Maroney?? Evans/Maroney?? or ?/Maroney? Time will tell. No-brainer..Maroney would stay IF you had to pick among the two..but that's not the issue. What back teaming with Maroney will be better than Dillon/Maroney? How many times did maroney lose yards when he ran inside?? i KNOW he was injured..but even at the start of the season his inside running was not the best. Different styles...which is why I liked the combo.

I remember arguing how we let the wrong QB go. God I was a moron.

Gentlemen, the larger question is not Dillon or Maroney, it's Memories of Dillon and Hopes for Maroney. Since Hopes for Maroney last a good 10-13 years, and we'll be into Memories of Dillon within the next couple, I don't think you can argue this.

Maroney is our RB of the future. He has shown no real signs of not being able to grow into that role. I feel he's a good, solid, NFL-ready back, with a pretty high up-side. I may be wrong, but I don't think the guy is a liability.

That said, Corey wanted to either 1) retire or 2) get all the carries. Neither of these courses of action are the role he needed to fill to be on the Pats. If he goes elsewhere, I remember the good times -- hey, Corey, I don't blame you. You believe you're the back for some team, and some team may agree.

If he really is retired now, thanks for all the great years. You proved the press wrong and handled yourself here with class.

But the Maroney future goes on far too long to fill it with Corey Dillon. And I believe we're looking to 5+ of it with the Pats.

PFnV

Maroney is going to be on par with the best in the league next year. He is going to get a lot more carries and following a full NFL offseason he be more chiseled and prepared to take that load. I am going to say he will have 1200-1400 yards, and get a decent amount of receptions.

I remember arguing how we let the wrong QB go. God I was a moron.

Gentlemen, the larger question is not Dillon or Maroney, it's Memories of Dillon and Hopes for Maroney. Since Hopes for Maroney last a good 10-13 years, and we'll be into Memories of Dillon within the next couple, I don't think you can argue this.

Maroney is our RB of the future. He has shown no real signs of not being able to grow into that role. I feel he's a good, solid, NFL-ready back, with a pretty high up-side. I may be wrong, but I don't think the guy is a liability.

That said, Corey wanted to either 1) retire or 2) get all the carries. Neither of these courses of action are the role he needed to fill to be on the Pats. If he goes elsewhere, I remember the good times -- hey, Corey, I don't blame you. You believe you're the back for some team, and some team may agree.

If he really is retired now, thanks for all the great years. You proved the press wrong and handled yourself here with class.

But the Maroney future goes on far too long to fill it with Corey Dillon. And I believe we're looking to 5+ of it with the Pats.

PFnV

i love actual insight. its nice to see people with functional brains....couldnt agree more.

Re: Maroney as feature back? Yes, with some help

This just in from Adam Shefter, Laurence Maroney has secretly enrolled in a ballroom dancing class to program himself to hit the line first and then take dance steps. The Patriots have brought in Emmitt Smith to teach Maroney how to take the ball and get through the line. According to Emmitt, "When Laurence completes my program, he'll cut through that line like butta! Then the fun will start!"

This issue is my biggest concern with the pats right now. I really loved the 1-2 punch of Dillion and Maroney last year. Maroney doesn't seem to be real durable. He missed most of the end of the season with an injury that some say was not that bad.. I think we will be in trouble if we don't add a vet. running back to split the load with Maroney. Think about it this way. Right now, if Maroney goes down with an injury, our starter is Sammy Morris? ****! Dillion was perfect here and I don't get why he doesn't finish out his career here. Which running backs are available for us to trade for right now? I wanted J. Lewis to come here. All we need is to sign someone for 1 year. It will give Maroney another year of experience. How bout Mike Anderson or Ladell Betts.....

I said in this thread that I think Maroney will have 1200-1400 yards this season and I think this will be true even more now that we have a deep threat.

Maroney in the Playoff-yards each carry
vs Indy...-2,9,5,8,-3,-1,-1,-2
vs SD.....5,-4,0,0,4,0
vs Jets...4,7,4,3,6,2,5,5,0,3,6,-1,2,8,4,3,3,5
Totals: 31carries for 87yds
11 carries of 0 or negative yards
longest gain 9 yards

Maroney is going to be the best back in the NFL :)

Maroney did have a few flashes of brilliance last year...but towards the end of the season and in the playoffs, he seemed to have problems running North to South and hitting the holes quickly.
He certainly does not seem like a power back.

Does anyone have concerns with his reliability as a feature back for next year?

Are Morris, Faulk, Evans good enough backups?

How would you rate Maroney verus Thomas Jones (Jets)?

Maroney is the feature back for 2007. It remains to be seen if he can carry the load by himself. Most teams are going to the two RB tandem.

The Pats went right after Sammy Morris once FA opened, so I think he is signed to see significant playing time also. They didn't have to jump on him so soon if all he was going to be was a replacement for Pass. I don't know much about him. Can he play STs? It looks like they are moving Faulk up to second string and have Morris for 3rd down back.

Evans can also be a tailback with power to move the pile.

Have we completely ruled out Dillon coming back? Have we completely rule out the Pats drafting a RB? I think not on both accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST