PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Many Concerns About This Team...but ONE Positive...

Christian

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
OK, this is my first thread here on the forum. I've been reading a while and finally got to the point where I can start a thread. So here goes...

I've got alot of concerns about this team. For one, the defense. I know they are and should be improved since last year. But, I can't help but worry about our secondary given what's taken place these last couple years. One injury back there and it's panic mode. I also worry about our pass rush and our depth at DT. Do I think if healthy, we have a formidable defense? Yes, I do. But those concerns are legit and we will be tested in the coming weeks, specifically against teams that throw the ball all over the field.

Now onto our offense. I just can't believe the amount of hits we've taken going back to Gronk's injury (s) at the end of last year. Gronk, Hernandez, losing Welker...Dobson clearly not being ready...and now Amendola and Vereen. Are you kidding me? Major, major blows to Brady's already THIN weapon core. IT's sickening to watch Manning, Brees, Ryan, etc. throw to a plethora of weapons that can get down the field. Brady's numbers are going to suffer, and so will the attention from the media (Manning, etc will get all the praise, accolades), but one thing that is positive that is going to come out of this...is it's going to build some real character.

With all of that said, as long as we can get these guys back later in the year...and we can improve slowly but surely...and we can take care of the games we are supposed to win. I'm confident that all of these hits will pay off come play off time. People will be doubting us (something that hasn't been the case in a long time)...we will be the underdog (ditto)...and we will bounce back. Brady is great in these kinds of scenarios. We are going to run the ball more, and evolve on offense. It's going to be a major challenge...but to be honest, the last few years, at least offensively...we have more or less breezed through the regular season...maybe a bit overconfident heading into the playoffs. That won't be the case this year. We are going to be a real blue collar, grind it out team that is going to have to work very hard for each win. Just have to hope and pray that we don't suffer any more devastating blows.

Correction: We didn't "lose" Welker, he was given away by Belichick who is responsible for two-thirds of Denver's dynamic starting WRs. Belichick has done more for Denver than John Fox.

OK, this is my first thread here on the forum. I've been reading a while and finally got to the point where I can start a thread. So here goes...

I've got alot of concerns about this team. For one, the defense. I know they are and should be improved since last year. But, I can't help but worry about our secondary given what's taken place these last couple years. One injury back there and it's panic mode. I also worry about our pass rush and our depth at DT. Do I think if healthy, we have a formidable defense? Yes, I do. But those concerns are legit and we will be tested in the coming weeks, specifically against teams that throw the ball all over the field.

Now onto our offense. I just can't believe the amount of hits we've taken going back to Gronk's injury (s) at the end of last year. Gronk, Hernandez, losing Welker...Dobson clearly not being ready...and now Amendola and Vereen. Are you kidding me? Major, major blows to Brady's already THIN weapon core. IT's sickening to watch Manning, Brees, Ryan, etc. throw to a plethora of weapons that can get down the field. Brady's numbers are going to suffer, and so will the attention from the media (Manning, etc will get all the praise, accolades), but one thing that is positive that is going to come out of this...is it's going to build some real character.

With all of that said, as long as we can get these guys back later in the year...and we can improve slowly but surely...and we can take care of the games we are supposed to win. I'm confident that all of these hits will pay off come play off time. People will be doubting us (something that hasn't been the case in a long time)...we will be the underdog (ditto)...and we will bounce back. Brady is great in these kinds of scenarios. We are going to run the ball more, and evolve on offense. It's going to be a major challenge...but to be honest, the last few years, at least offensively...we have more or less breezed through the regular season...maybe a bit overconfident heading into the playoffs. That won't be the case this year. We are going to be a real blue collar, grind it out team that is going to have to work very hard for each win. Just have to hope and pray that we don't suffer any more devastating blows.

A fine first thread - welcome!

Seems to me that your ultimate constructive criticism of the way the team has been assembled comes down to bad luck - injuries and losses like Hernandez (though good riddance). That happens - bad luck - it's part of the game. In fact look around the League and you'll see teams worse off than the Patriot.

Moving on from Welker was a strategic move to improve, as crazy as that may sound - and the game against Buffalo demonstrated that with Amendola making multiple game saving critical catches - exactly the type that Welker has dropped to end the game in the past.

No WR will likely match Welker's numbers this year - but the forced diversity will pay dividends down the line in terms of spreading the offense and keeping Defenses off balance on the plays that mean the most.

And as you correctly point out - these are the Patriots. They are not built for September.

They are built to peak in November - February.

That's when the good health and overall peak production is key - not now.

And more to that point, the Patriots are typically a team of role players. Backups have limited roles which, if they play their roles, should result in wins.

Whoever is suiting up in the uniform come Sunday knows the job they are supposed to do - regardless whether its a big name veteran or UDFA.

They simply need to execute.

And I think Belichick has created the attitude that no one on the team will accept any excuses for failing to execute. As a fan I'm not going to make excuses either.

They guys available to play are expected to execute - period.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back