PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Manning's NFL future hinges on offseason neck exam

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is BS. Manning is playing next year - for sure.....Pulling a Ray Lewis and trying to rally the troops by making everyone think this could be his last season.

I just read an article about this. It says he is returning for the 2014 season but after that all bets are off depending on the neck exam. He isn't trying to 'rally the team for his final sendoff' like Ray Lewis.

I don't want him to retire after next season though it is a very realistic possibility. It is great having a guy like him in the league. Class act, and one of the all time greats. And it will force me to come to grips w/the fact that Brady will probably be riding off into the sunset not too long after.

I just read an article about this. It says he is returning for the 2014 season but after that all bets are off depending on the neck exam. He isn't trying to 'rally the team for his final sendoff' like Ray Lewis.

I don't want him to retire after next season though it is a very realistic possibility. It is great having a guy like him in the league. Class act, and one of the all time greats. And it will force me to come to grips w/the fact that Brady will probably be riding off into the sunset not too long after.

Yeah I don't get the fans that have such an issue with facing Goober. I missed him when he was hurt. I don't want to avoid him. I want to play and hopefully beat his team.

Taking a few inches/pounds out of that forehead would do wonders for his neck. To me that's the obvious fix.

The article says if his neck is deemed unstable he may retire after this season. Why get a neck exam and play in 2014 no matter what? Doesn't make sense.

You read it wrong. Him returning next year hinges on the exam. Quote is below:

"If the exam reveals that his neck is stable, Manning plans to return to the Broncos in 2014, regardless of how Denver fares this postseason, according to sources," Mortensen writes. "But if there is an increased risk of injury, Manning will be forced to decide whether to retire, sources said."

Yeah I don't get the fans that have such an issue with facing Goober. I missed him when he was hurt. I don't want to avoid him. I want to play and hopefully beat his team.

I have no problem watching the Pats playing Manning every year - they're usually the most exciting and anticipated games of the year. I'm just stating my opinion - which is I don't believe the article and think it's just trying to rally the team.

Hope this isn't the last of Peyton. I love to root against Peyton. If this is the last of Peyton, one more loss to Brady and Belichick in a big game would be a fitting ending.

Taking a few inches/pounds out of that forehead would do wonders for his neck. To me that's the obvious fix.

Spot the difference in the foreheads below
9k=
hectorhammond3.jpg

03-manning%27s-forehead.jpg

When it gets too dangerous, you quit.

That's especially true when you already have a Super Bowl ring, a guaranteed first-ballot HOF selection, and vast amounts of money.

The harder cases are the ones which aren't about safety, but simply declining skill. (E.g. Favre.)

Stick a couple of new neck bolts in FrankenManning and he's good to go....

You read it wrong. Him returning next year hinges on the exam. Quote is below:

"If the exam reveals that his neck is stable, Manning plans to return to the Broncos in 2014, regardless of how Denver fares this postseason, according to sources," Mortensen writes. "But if there is an increased risk of injury, Manning will be forced to decide whether to retire, sources said."
I was reading a Yahoo sports article and yes you are correct about that. But still I think it is pathetic for Pats fans to smack talk Manning like he sucks or is a mass choker. Yeah his post season fortunes have not smiled upon him much (be it his fault or others) but he is an all time great and a classy guy. Disparage him if it makes you feel better. I am just grateful to witness an era when two of the greatest of all time (both team players) get to have probably their final showdown.

I haven't read the entire thread, but my assumption is that someone pointed out the fact that this is nothing more than Denver's front office protecting their investment in terms of the 20 million dollars owed to him for the upcoming year.

The specifics change if he has a neck injury vs any other kind of injury, in terms of dollar amount, as they have a 10 million dollar insurance policy. They are most likely just making sure everything is the same and there are no glaring issues (large metal bolts in the neck region, etc).

I haven't read the entire thread, but my assumption is that someone pointed out the fact that this is nothing more than Denver's front office protecting their investment in terms of the 20 million dollars owed to him for the upcoming year.

The specifics change if he has a neck injury vs any other kind of injury, in terms of dollar amount, as they have a 10 million dollar insurance policy. They are most likely just making sure everything is the same and there are no glaring issues (large metal bolts in the neck region, etc).

Yep thats what it is, I think some media idiot just got a hold of this and decided to make a big deal which it is not. It is a contract thing and we all know that Manning isn't done yet and he won't be kicked off the Broncos in March either. Media people are such idiots.

I was reading a Yahoo sports article and yes you are correct about that. But still I think it is pathetic for Pats fans to smack talk Manning like he sucks or is a mass choker. Yeah his post season fortunes have not smiled upon him much (be it his fault or others) but he is an all time great and a classy guy. Disparage him if it makes you feel better. I am just grateful to witness an era when two of the greatest of all time (both team players) get to have probably their final showdown.

He's a top 15 all-time QB.

He's also a choking dog.

It is what it is.

It seems silly to pretend otherwise.

On the off chance that Peyton retires because of his injury, does Welker retire at the same time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST