PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mangini to interview with Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patters said:
I'm sure BB remembers how he was denied the opportunity to interview for HC jobs by Parcells. Perhaps BB thinks it's better for the Team, plus it's really going to motivate Mangini to in his preparations for Denver. If our D comes out strong, Mangini has a better shot at an HC job.

The NYJs are such a loser job, I think BB granted permissionn only with the assurance from Mangini that he won't take the job.

While interviewing allows him to raise his stock for the future, I hope Mangini is smart enough to see what has happened to so many other NYJ coaches careers.

NEM said:
I think they allow a very brief period for interviews. But, I am not a big Mangini fan anyway..... he is too soft, IMO. Took the players themselves to get himt open it up and be more agressive.

The players were right and Mangini was wrong on that - but its not surprising to see his early season approach to the defense considering the injuries and abilities of our secondary

Given the loss of Harrison, and the play of Starks and the inexperience of others, is it any wonder coddled the secondary?

As the season progressed and Stone and some others developed (and as Mangini implemented a 4 CB scheme), the time was right to unleash the hounds among the front 7.

I guess I'm saying that earlier in the season, given injuries, I have some doubts as to whether we could have been as effectively agressive as we were later in the season.

NEM should want Mangini to bolt and be replaced by Ryan - now there's an aggressive coach.

I can't say I'm happy about all this but the "BelichickFan" in me is a little happy about the ridiculous tree that is being grown right now.

An interview will not be a problem, all we heard last year was that Weis was going to be "distracted" when he took the ND job in December, I think that worked out all right, no?

Having interviews is also a way these guys get thier names in the papers/electronic media for exposure. Even if Mangini doesn't want the job, which he'd be crazy to take, IMO, that fan base will be all over him from day 1, that exposure will make it more likely that other teams, this year or next, will think of him too.

BelichickFan said:
I can't say I'm happy about all this but the "BelichickFan" in me is a little happy about the ridiculous tree that is being grown right now.

I'm impressed with the tree but I'd much prefer to see the fruits of it landing in other freaking divisions then our own thank you!!
:confused:

DefenseRules said:
There is no need for you to insult me and frankly I don't appreciate it. I am angry about this and I have a right to be. We just lost both of our coordinators last year, Mangini went through some growing pains for half a season. I was hoping for a little stability next season. Now we might lose our DC again. I don't know about you but I'm not happy about it at all.

I am with you on this on DR! BB is the hottest coach in the NFL and everyone wants a piece of him, that is the curse of his success. I know that EM had some HC expirience with Austrailian Rules football, but I don't know if this qualifies him to run an NFL team.

Not to sound like a whiney Bill Polian, but the NFL really needs to change this rule!

Bill's Girl said:
I am with you on this on DR! BB is the hottest coach in the NFL and everyone wants a piece of him, that is the curse of his success. I know that EM had some HC expirience with Austrailian Rules football, but I don't know if this qualifies him to run an NFL team.

Not to sound like a whiney Bill Polian, but the NFL really needs to change this rule!
what rule is that, specifically? And a follow up: did you think the NFL should change "that rule" when the Pats wanted Belichick to be their head coach?

And somehow I think it might be Eric's 11 years as an NFL coach and the numerous division, conference and league championships he's contributed to that would be the thing that 'qualifies' him, and not two years he spent in Australia when he was in college. You "don't know" if he's qualified, huh?

Last edited:
If Bradway, ex of the Superbowl, powerhouse KC Chiefs organization, wants to come up here to interview Master Mangini, great, its a cheap flight for your expense report (plus no overnight hotel needed).

I see this as nothing more than Head Coach interview practice for Mangini at this point.

A little more about Eric Mangini for those fans who have been too busy stamping their feet and holding their breath because of some big green meanies to learn anything about the guy they're talking about:

Mangini joined the Patriots after three seasons (1997- 99) as the defensive assistant/quality control coach for the New York Jets.

Hey, wait a minute.....how was THIS allowed to happen? The NFL really has to do something about these rules.

Last edited:
Pats67 said:
A little more about Eric Mangini for those fans who have been too busy stamping their feet and holding their breath because of some big green meanies to learn anything about the guy they're talking about:

Mangini joined the Patriots after three seasons (1997- 99) as the defensive assistant/quality control coach for the New York Jets.

Hey, wait a minute.....how was THIS allowed to happen? The NFL really has to do something about these rules.

You're right. Nobody else should have an opinion at all. We should all just probably agree with you. Thanks for doing the thinking for the rest of us.

Patters said:
I'm sure BB remembers how he was denied the opportunity to interview for HC jobs by Parcells. Perhaps BB thinks it's better for the Team, plus it's really going to motivate Mangini to in his preparations for Denver. If our D comes out strong, Mangini has a better shot at an HC job.

This line of thought wins my vote.

Besides, you never make the job you want ... your FIRST interview.

edzo44 said:
I'm impressed with the tree but I'd much prefer to see the fruits of it landing in other freaking divisions then our own thank you!!
I'm with you there.

Pats67 said:

I think he came here following some guy named....Belichick.

Everyone here is over reacting. Mangini is not stupid enough to jump at the first HC opportunity than comes his way, any more than he was willing to jump at the first DC job either - Oakland. Working for a sucky franchise is the kiss of death in the NFL. BB's guys are too smart to fall for the first pretty face that comes a-calling. McDaniels isn't even a coordinator yet - and some have him off to the Senior Citizens Center in Buffalo. Pahleeeze stop people.

People here are free to leave for a better opportunity. Thing is most of them are so bright they know those are rare in the NFL. Mangini is the heir apparent to his boss here, if he wants to wait a while and hone his craft. With this team and organization behind him, his stock ain't going down any time soon either if he gets tired of waiting. He understands what a collaberative effort the success here has been, and how difficult it is to find a situation where you have the support to even have a fighting chance at running this kind of operation.

Bradway is interviewing him and about anyone else he can to try and deflect criticism over the Herm deal. He's looking for part savior and part potential fall guy 'cause the JETS are in that much of a mess. The job will ultimately go to a Haslett or some other desperate retread or a college coach who doesn't know how many NFL opportunities he might get. Guys smart enough to be on the NFL fast track like Eric are usually also smart enough to pick their spots with an eye towards success.

Patriot Games said:
You're right. Nobody else should have an opinion at all. We should all just probably agree with you. Thanks for doing the thinking for the rest of us.
Well, if your 'opinion' is a juvenile rant of a six year old, and not any kind of 'opinion' at all, then you're right, you shouldn't have an opinion. You should shut the **** up.

You might have noticed I didn't comment on the number of reasonable posts that have been made on this thread. Probably because they didn't question the intelligence of the man who has brought us three championship teams.

But you go right ahead with your theory anyway. I mean, it sounds so good.

MoLewisrocks said:
Yeah, that point seemed to fly right over some heads.

You nailed the rest of the post. The only thing I would add is that aside from the poster who started this thread, there doesn't seem to be any confirmation anywhere else that Bradway has an interview scheduled with Mangini. I went to a Jets board where Jets fans heard the FAN interview and made no mention of the purported scheduled interview. Reiss doesn't have it either. So your point about overreaction is all the better.

I recently found this site, looking for opinion on Mangini, as it appears he is the #1 choice for the Jets HC job. Living here in RI, (born and raised in NY with Jets season tickets). Reading through the posts, some of the responses are pretty interesting.

1- There is a notion that Mangini should wait out BB retiring to secure his first HC job. BB is what, 52? It seems he is kind of a "gym rat" sort of coach, can't imagine him hanging it up anytime soon. Do you wait 5-7 years for the chance?

2- He shouldn't leave to coach a "sucky" franchise. Can't argue Pats success over the last 5 years, but the 35 before that were about as successful as the Jets. BB and a terrific QB have lifted that fog, but how do you predict a 6th round pick being as good as he has been? It only takes a run of a few great years to turn around a franchise...assume Pats fans have to agree with that.

3- Bradway is interviewing everyone and anyone to deflect? He said today that his current interview plans do not include Sherman and Fassel, so that is simply not true.

I agree with lots of the questions on Mangini..is he too green, can he operate away from BB?

Assuming the unthinkable happens, and Mangini does become Jets HC, do you think he will succeed? Looking for some opinions on Mangini from some knowlegable Pats fans, hopefully not some silly rants on the Jets org.

MoLewisrocks said:

Everyone here is over reacting. Mangini is not stupid enough to jump at the first HC opportunity than comes his way, any more than he was willing to jump at the first DC job either - Oakland. Working for a sucky franchise is the kiss of death in the NFL. BB's guys are too smart to fall for the first pretty face that comes a-calling. McDaniels isn't even a coordinator yet - and some have him off to the Senior Citizens Center in Buffalo. Pahleeeze stop people.

People here are free to leave for a better opportunity. Thing is most of them are so bright they know those are rare in the NFL. Mangini is the heir apparent to his boss here, if he wants to wait a while and hone his craft. With this team and organization behind him, his stock ain't going down any time soon either if he gets tired of waiting. He understands what a collaberative effort the success here has been, and how difficult it is to find a situation where you have the support to even have a fighting chance at running this kind of operation.

Bradway is interviewing him and about anyone else he can to try and deflect criticism over the Herm deal. He's looking for part savior and part potential fall guy 'cause the JETS are in that much of a mess. The job will ultimately go to a Haslett or some other desperate retread or a college coach who doesn't know how many NFL opportunities he might get. Guys smart enough to be on the NFL fast track like Eric are usually also smart enough to pick their spots with an eye towards success.

Go to WFAN.com and listen to the interview with Terry Bradway, he confirms he is heading up to New England this week to interview Mangini.

Pats67 said:
Yeah, that point seemed to fly right over some heads.

You nailed the rest of the post. The only thing I would add is that aside from the poster who started this thread, there doesn't seem to be any confirmation anywhere else that Bradway has an interview scheduled with Mangini. I went to a Jets board where Jets fans heard the FAN interview and made no mention of the purported scheduled interview. Reiss doesn't have it either. So your point about overreaction is all the better.

okay, that's more substantiation that we had been given previously.

I think what I'd tell you about Eric is that he's done some of the best position coaching we've ever seen up here, and I would guess anywhere. Think about everything he's done with those DB's, especially last year. For every Ty Law there's been three Artrell Hawkins (no disrespect intended). And remember when Lawyer was cut he got Eugene Wilson ramped up and playing well at a new position in no time. I would think that means he's a good teacher AND tactician.

He's worked 11 years with some of the best coaches ever. He's show the abilities to coach right alongside them. He has a short track record as coordinator, and maybe suffered some stops and starts in the early going, but I don't think there's too much debate that the team has performed well in the second half.

I guess I would tell you that I believe he would succeed as a head coach if given firm support, commitment, and time. NY would be a tough spot to get that in, I think, and that would be my biggest concern for him.

Last edited:
What is Mangini's contract status after this year? I Googled it but couldn't find anything on the term. If he is still under contract following this year, couldn't the Pats just squash any possible deal with a very costly compensation package? I doubt the Jets would give up their high 1st rounder.
But if he only signed a one year deal last February, that's another story...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft