PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mangini to interview with Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Willie55 said:
I thought they could only interview during the bye week and then it was all hands off until the playoffs were over.
That was true for us last year because we had a bye. The rule is:

- You can interview coaches from teams with a bye during the bye week only.

- You can interview coaches from all other playoff teams the second week (this week) only.

After the designated one-week window you must wait until they are done with the postseason before they can be interviewed further.

Just got on this thread this evening and I have two questions:

1) Who is this Pats67?

2) Can someone help him find his Prozac before he goes back into work tomorrow at the Post Office?

Dude is just firing wildly at anyone whose opinion doesn't match his.

Scary.

Last edited:
28222 said:
What is Mangini's contract status after this year? I Googled it but couldn't find anything on the term. If he is still under contract following this year, couldn't the Pats just squash any possible deal with a very costly compensation package? I doubt the Jets would give up their high 1st rounder.
But if he only signed a one year deal last February, that's another story...
It's probably just one year, but it doesn't really matter. For assistants a contract only means they can't become an assistant elsewhere. Any assistant in the league, even one under contract for multiple years, is allowed to leave to become a head coach, with no compensation to the team losing them.

DefenseRules said:
Well if that's the case, I have to wonder what the HELL BB is thinking about?
We have a game to prepare for. :mad: I am sick and tired of this organization giving their people away. He just started coordinating the defense properly and now just like that he'll be out the door?

THIS SUCKS, and I have to question the intelligence of BB on this one. :mad:
It is quite likely that when the Patriots convinced Mangini to stay after last season (turning down offers from Cleveland and Miami for more money) that he had a gentlemen's agreement with them that they would grant interview requests. He may have seen (quite correctly I think) that his shortest path to a HC job was to stay one year here.

By the way, any successful team loses people, it's the name of the game in the NFL. In fact we had unusual stability in being able to hold on to Crennel and Weis for so long. Be glad we are not Pittsburgh, which seems to lose coaches to other teams a lot more often even though they haven't been nearly as successful.

I hope we don't lose Mangini to the Jets. Enough of the Belichick coaching tree spreading out in the same division.

It'd be a really poor decision my Mangini to accept the Jets job. They're in salary cap hell, have a rostered littered with all kinds of question marks. His GM is a turd. There's bound to be much better opportunities out there for him if he exercises a little patience.

NEM said:
Things change.
There is a very small chance that a guy with a 56-36 lifetime coaching record won't get another shot at HC when guys like Jim Haslett (45-51) and Herm Edwards (41-44) are being hired.

Eric Mangini is going nowhere...yet.

Chris said:
i dont see the big deal.. the interview will take a few hours maybe.. romeo did it last year.. i dont htink it will be a distraction.. BB wouldnt allow it probably if he thought it would be..

chris
Have you ever flown down to New York to interview for a couple hours. Back and forth, it takes all day.

sieglo said:
Have you ever flown down to New York to interview for a couple hours. Back and forth, it takes all day.

The rule is that the Interviewers have to travel to the candidate.

sieglo said:

I believe that Bradway is flying here to interview Mangia

I think he can be replaced as DC but that being said..I feel he would be foolish to take the NYJ job. The owner and GM are a joke.

Of course there are only so many of these jobs so someone will jump at it otherwise the Saints would never get a HC again.

Well

Go ahead and interview him JETS--he ain't coming to coach in NY. Let's not forget here guys that there is a reason that BB didn't want to coach the JETS. He has said many times how he "treasure's" the relationship he has with bob kraft. I am sure that mangini will be looking for those qualities when he goes out for a job and until he finds what he wants he will stay put. And the jets job is not what he wants, BB already proved that!

jetsfanri said:
I recently found this site, looking for opinion on Mangini, as it appears he is the #1 choice for the Jets HC job. Living here in RI, (born and raised in NY with Jets season tickets). Reading through the posts, some of the responses are pretty interesting.

1- There is a notion that Mangini should wait out BB retiring to secure his first HC job. BB is what, 52? It seems he is kind of a "gym rat" sort of coach, can't imagine him hanging it up anytime soon. Do you wait 5-7 years for the chance?

2- He shouldn't leave to coach a "sucky" franchise. Can't argue Pats success over the last 5 years, but the 35 before that were about as successful as the Jets. BB and a terrific QB have lifted that fog, but how do you predict a 6th round pick being as good as he has been? It only takes a run of a few great years to turn around a franchise...assume Pats fans have to agree with that.

3- Bradway is interviewing everyone and anyone to deflect? He said today that his current interview plans do not include Sherman and Fassel, so that is simply not true.

I agree with lots of the questions on Mangini..is he too green, can he operate away from BB?

Assuming the unthinkable happens, and Mangini does become Jets HC, do you think he will succeed? Looking for some opinions on Mangini from some knowlegable Pats fans, hopefully not some silly rants on the Jets org.

Mangini is said to be a brilliant guy. Growing up in the Belichick tree he has been on quite a few short lists for the last few seasons, but as a DC not a HC. He's only 34, and doesn't have the experience as even an assistant HC under his belt yet. That will likely be next for him here. As I said, here he is pretty much guaranteed to be associated with a winning franchise for the forseeable future. His stock will only go up - in a way it has already this season simply by virtue of a descimated defense battling through their injuries and into the second round of the playoffs.

Your JETS are in deep doo doo. That's why Herm bailed. Bradway will have his hands full putting out fires all over the Meadowlands this off season. Cap issues, QB issues, option issues, FA issues, the draft. It could actually get worse before it has any chance to get better. If it's not turning the corner in another two seasons, someone will have to go again - and Bradway's first choice (unless he wants to bail himself) will be the new HC. If instead Bradway goes, then the new HC is at yet another GM's mercy. It's similar to the situation BB felt he faced caught between Parcells and new ownership if he stayed on as the HC of the NYJ.. He said no thanks, and Mangini followed him out of town.

BTW, Schefter is saying Tice is on Bradways interview list too. It would be a perfect fit since he grew up on Long Island - and he's desperate too . :rolleyes:

MoLewisrocks said:
Mangini is said to be a brilliant guy. Growing up in the Belichick tree he has been on quite a few short lists for the last few seasons, but as a DC not a HC. He's only 34, and doesn't have the experience as even an assistant HC under his belt yet. That will likely be next for him here. As I said, here he is pretty much guaranteed to be associated with a winning franchise for the forseeable future. His stock will only go up - in a way it has already this season simply by virtue of a descimated defense battling through their injuries and into the second round of the playoffs.

Your JETS are in deep doo doo. That's why Herm bailed. Bradway will have his hands full putting out fires all over the Meadowlands this off season. Cap issues, QB issues, option issues, FA issues, the draft. It could actually get worse before it has any chance to get better. If it's not turning the corner in another two seasons, someone will have to go again - and Bradway's first choice (unless he wants to bail himself) will be the new HC. If instead Bradway goes, then the new HC is at yet another GM's mercy. It's similar to the situation BB felt he faced caught between Parcells and new ownership if he stayed on as the HC of the NYJ.. He said no thanks, and Mangini followed him out of town.

BTW, Schefter is saying Tice is on Bradways interview list too. It would be a perfect fit since he grew up on Long Island - and he's desperate too . :rolleyes:

I've been handicapping Long Island boy Mike Tice to take that job too. What a nightmare that job will be for the next coach unless they step in **** in the draft and hit multiple homeruns. I have visions of Mike Tice= Rich Kotite II.

My only question is what is wrong with working for the post office? I see those guys out there - looks like a good job to me. A lot of walking, fresh air, decent compensation, plus, job security. I think you owe the USPS an apology, sir.

flutie2phelan said:
This line of thought wins my vote.

Besides, you never make the job you want ... your FIRST interview.
So, first interviewing as personnel quality control at Playboy Mansion was a mistake? :eek: Damn that placement counselor to Oakland! :enranged:

Pats67 said:
My only question is what is wrong with working for the post office? I see those guys out there - looks like a good job to me. A lot of walking, fresh air, decent compensation, plus, job security. I think you owe the USPS an apology, sir.

Is that you Cliffy? :rofl:

Fanfrom1960 said:
Is that you Cliffy? :rofl:
I wish. Clavin had it ****ed. Solid job, pension, low housing costs, a bar tab. I think Cliff has always been underrated.

ya

Pats67 said:
I wish. Clavin had it ****ed. Solid job, pension, low housing costs, a bar tab. I think Cliff has always been underrated.
no joke, cliffy was the man!

On a side note, Michael Smith on WEEI's "Dale and Holley" just reported that Mangini will interview with the jets on sunday after the game in denver!

I think it's a smart move by the Jets to consider Mangini for the HC job. While I admit, I have not met Mangini and thus do not know him personally, I'd like to think that he is still a year or three away from becoming a strong HC candidate.
So why are the Jets interested. First he appears to be a very intelligent guy with an impeccable work ethic, and great people skills (player/coach relations). Second he comes from a very successful franchise and he has experience overcoming adversity. See the past few years for examples.
It would be smart for the Jets to hire this guy. His first year learning on the job (getting over rookie mistakes), would likely be a rebuilding year for the Jets anyway. In year two, they could, in theory, be ready to take off together.

Reasons why Mangini should turn the Jets down:

1.) Personnel. With Bradway as the GM, Mangini would not have the all important "final" say in regards to personnel. Nothing kills a coach faster than a personnel guy that does not understand the type of players a coach needs.
2.) Jets offensive talent level is subpar. Mangini is a defensive coach. How can he fix the offense??? Does he relinquinch that responsibility to the OC??? If he does that, then he has not been paying attention to BB. BB has his fingerprint on every aspcet of the organization. Just ask our former grounds keeper. The Jets defense was decent last year. And with the personnel they have, plus a strategic addition or two, they could switch to a 3-4. However none of that helps the Jets offense and I'm not sure Mangini is the guy to help that unit either.
3.) The faucet turns off. Right now Mangini gets the benefit of the vast BB bank of knowledge. If Mangini takes the Jets job, that resource will dry up instantly. Is he willing to sacrifice his continued growth in the future for instant (and potentially short term) gratification now??????

Bottom line: The Jets should be looking at Martz as a HC candidate while hiring an experienced, successful DC, like Gibbs did. That formula looks like a better fit for what the Jets needs and most importantly (and selfishly) does not include Mangini.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back