PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mangini: Ravens match up well vs. Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate Mangini the Rat as much as anyone, but as far as Mangini the ESPN analyst goes, he's the best they have down in Bristol....no question. He made some of the same comments on Mike and Mike today, and quite frankly they were very insightful.

What I like is he actually tells you stuff about what he learned as a HC and in his days as an assistant in NE. He knows, and tells us the insights on what bothers Brady and makes his job harder, He actually has the knowledge of what are the best ways to disrupt the TE bunch formations.

To his credit NOTHING of what he says isn't accurate and on point and to dismiss it just because you don't like what he did a half dozen years ago is just being spiteful. How can people just ignore what he says just because it isn't what they want to hear.

Face it guys this is going to be a very tough game against an experienced and physically tough defense, and a decent offense that is going against a very unproven D

my analysis above is better.....everyone elses opinion is poo

Mangini isn't exactly a bright football mind...

I hate Mangini the Rat as much as anyone, but as far as Mangini the ESPN analyst goes, he's the best they have down in Bristol....no question. He made some of the same comments on Mike and Mike today, and quite frankly they were very insightful.

What I like is he actually tells you stuff about what he learned as a HC and in his days as an assistant in NE. He knows, and tells us the insights on what bothers Brady and makes his job harder, He actually has the knowledge of what are the best ways to disrupt the TE bunch formations.

To his credit NOTHING of what he says isn't accurate and on point and to dismiss it just because you don't like what he did a half dozen years ago is just being spiteful. How can people just ignore what he says just because it isn't what they want to hear.

Face it guys this is going to be a very tough game against an experienced and physically tough defense, and a decent offense that is going against a very unproven D

He does make a lot of sense and is a good analyst. In this case, all he is really doing is parroting the so-called "blue print" on Brady. Disguise your pre-snap intentions and Brady has trouble making the right read. The best way to "cover" the TE's is to make them stay in to block by bringing extra pressure. Yada, yada, yada.

It's all stuff that teams attempt to do every week to stop the patriots. It really isn't anything new. It's all predicated on pressure. Well this year, teams have struggle to put pressure due to our great o-line play. Even teams that are pretty good at it like Philly (led the lead in sacks) could not get consistent pressure on Brady.

Brady has far more weapons at his disposal then he did in the one game Baltimore was able to beat us in (the 09 playoffs). Other then that, when it has been a close contest, NE has always done enough to win.

I see the same thing in this game. A hard fought battle that we will ultimately prevail. But at the end of the day, Mangina doesn't really offer anything specific to this matchup beyond parroting the typical stuff about how to stop Brady in general.

Last edited:
Ravens fan here. Not trying to stir the pot, but hey, there is always a counterargument and Mangini is just making it. Can't tell you how many times we heard analysts say the Steelers were going to kill us in the second game at Pitt, I mean it is what it is.

I don't think many Ravens fans are thinking Ray and Pollard can one-on-one cover your TE's. Both players do have a knack for getting to the right place at the right time, so Ravens in zone has that as an upside for us. Was reading that the Chargers used outside LB's to slow down the TE's and that seemed to work reasonably well. Hate to see Suggs anywhere but in Brady's face but really you have no choice but to do what you can to slow those guys down.

As far as Ravens losses go, all I can say is that this is the most inconsistent team I've seen in a long time. Some games the defense just completely takes over, other days they are mediocre. Some games the long ball is there for Flacco and some days it is all drops and overthrows. All you can do is wake up Sunday and see who shows up. At the end of the day we've beaten some very tough teams and not in very glamorous fashion. I'd like more but hey, I'll take it.

:cool:
Ravens fan here. Not trying to stir the pot, but hey, there is always a counterargument and Mangini is just making it. Can't tell you how many times we heard analysts say the Steelers were going to kill us in the second game at Pitt, I mean it is what it is.

I don't think many Ravens fans are thinking Ray and Pollard can one-on-one cover your TE's. Both players do have a knack for getting to the right place at the right time, so Ravens in zone has that as an upside for us. Was reading that the Chargers used outside LB's to slow down the TE's and that seemed to work reasonably well. Hate to see Suggs anywhere but in Brady's face but really you have no choice but to do what you can to slow those guys down.

As far as Ravens losses go, all I can say is that this is the most inconsistent team I've seen in a long time. Some games the defense just completely takes over, other days they are mediocre. Some games the long ball is there for Flacco and some days it is all drops and overthrows. All you can do is wake up Sunday and see who shows up. At the end of the day we've beaten some very tough teams and not in very glamorous fashion. I'd like more but hey, I'll take it.

Welcome: Flacco is a deer in headlighs...get a few hits on him and it's lights out. I think BB will confuse him he will throw picks. On the Pats Offense they are just as Physical as the Ravens D we are not as finese as some think. When you have the ability to attack Teams between the numbers...it opens things up outside...pick your poison Ravens. Hope you guys can keep up.:cool:

Last edited:

all I can say is that the ravens have been dogmeat outside of the division (6-0 in the division, and 6-4 outside and 1-4 on the road outside of the division)

I put more of that on the offense, but the defense allowed guys like matt hasselbeck and tarvaris jackson to have their way with them while the offense crawls into a shell

yep, this is the playoffs, but its not the 2009 playoffs.....at this point, the only concern I have is the ravens applying pressure up the middle. but I have been pretty staisfied with the pats dump-off play calls as of late. hernandez of gronkowski behind the pressure will be a otn of YAC

:cool:

Welcome: Flacco is a deer in headlighs...get a few hits on him and it's lights out. I think BB will confuse him he will throw picks. On the Pats Offense they are just as Physical as the Ravens D we are not as finese as some think. When you have the ability to attack Teams between the numbers...it opens things up outside...pick your poison Ravens. Hope you guys can keep up.:cool:

I hear you but just to be more precise - Flacco isn't scared. He doesn't get rattled by defensive pressure and he doesn't play worse or get nervous when he gets hit too many times. He is perfectly willing to step up into the pocket and take huge shots all game to deliver the ball where it needs to go. I mean honestly I'd like to see him react MORE to defensive pressure, watching him it is almost like he is just counting one-Mississippi, two-Mississippi ... as if no one is allowed to get him for the first five seconds.

The real problem is he takes far too long to decide sometimes and he gets strip sacked more than any quarterback I've ever seen. Some of that is on Cameron for not including some routes that develop more quickly. But yeah, Flacco's pocket presence isn't the greatest. And his accuracy is suspect, he is inconsistent.

Still though, I can't be too hard on the guy. He makes me wring my hands sometimes but that last drive in Pittsburgh was a thing of beauty.

Last edited:
Totally OT but boy did that freshmen 15 take its toll on the Mangenius.

emanginiactionvscolbyforweb.jpg

eric-mangini-mike-holmgrenjpg-6e9d738e890fdc11_large.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes