PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mangini Accepts Jets Offer - ESPN.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eric is following in BB's steps. BB first HC job in Cleveland. Pampered players by the GM and Owner. Vicious press. Weak ownership and management.

I look for a 3 & out for Eric. 3 Years and then gone.

He gets 7.5 Mil of Woody's money. Valuable HC experience. He will then know the type of ownership and management not to work for in his next HC opportunity. And an ulcer.

Look guys, there's no sense in being mad at a good young defensive coordinator for taking a head coaching job when offered. Just wish him well for cripes sake. It's petty to be mad at him. He's been with BB for like 10 years or so now, more than paid his dues, and good luck to him. The Pats will be fine without him so there's no worries. As far as how he'll do, who knows? Why not just sit back and watch? As long as we have BB, are you really worried about any other coach?

You sound insecure when you have to complain or critisize anyone that leaves. It's ok. People come and go. The Pats will be strong candidates to win it all again next year, so there's really nothing to worry about.

Good Luck Eric, thanks for all the help you've given to our team over the past few years. You'll have your hands full in NY with your first HC gig. Goodluck and I hope you do ok.

now, on to who will replace him...Sounds like BAtes could be the guy, and if he is, I'll be excited about that. He's widely respected and platyers love playing for him! If not, BB will find someone who will be good.

SamBam39 said:
Look guys, there's no sense in being mad at a good young defensive coordinator for taking a head coaching job when offered. Just wish him well for cripes sake. It's petty to be mad at him. He's been with BB for like 10 years or so now, more than paid his dues, and good luck to him. The Pats will be fine without him so there's no worries. As far as how he'll do, who knows? Why not just sit back and watch? As long as we have BB, are you really worried about any other coach?

You sound insecure when you have to complain or critisize anyone that leaves. It's ok. People come and go. The Pats will be strong candidates to win it all again next year, so there's really nothing to worry about.

Good Luck Eric, thanks for all the help you've given to our team over the past few years. You'll have your hands full in NY with your first HC gig. Goodluck and I hope you do ok.

now, on to who will replace him...Sounds like BAtes could be the guy, and if he is, I'll be excited about that. He's widely respected and platyers love playing for him! If not, BB will find someone who will be good.
Well said and I agree! Good luck Eric!

I'm not mad at all. Eric sees an opportunity to advance and he took it. You can't fault a guy for that.

My comments in my previous post was about the JESTS and their organization. And after reading Education of a Coach, I see some similarities between this job and BB's job in Cleveland. One major difference is the the Jests aren't going to move out of NY.

PATSNUTme said:
One major difference is the the Jests aren't going to move out of NY.
You mean New Jersey.

(Just thought I'd get that in for any Jests lurkers ;) )

It will be nice to have somebody groomed with a few years of experience as a HC under his belt, so if/when BB says "enough", he can step right in.

We'll leave a light on for you Eric.

They had to change the rules on head coaching interviewing practices, because of RAC and Weiss. The only reason they both didn't have HC jobs after the 2nd Super Bowl and possibly the 1st Super Bowl was because they were on the team that won the Super Bowl. Until this year, teams weren't allowed to interview assistants that were coaching on a playoff team. The team had to be eliminated from the playoffs before a coach from that team could interview for a HC job. So to say that RAC and Weiss chose to stay and gain valuable experience is asinine. Weis had his stomach stapled because he thought his weight was one of the reasons he wasn't getting interviewed for HC jobs. Most assistants don't show up on the HC radar unless they are coaching on a championship caliber club which RAC and Weis were not until SB 36 and then after the teams drop off in 2002 they weren't as popular, then the Pats go 14 -2 but they can't be interviewed until February because they won the SB and by then every team had hired a new coach. It wasn't until the next 14-2 season that the Browns decided they wanted RAC and they were going to wait for him. If you notice Weis had to go to the college ranks. Do you honestly think that he "stayed loyal for decades" so that he could take the ND HC job?

The people who are posting all this garbage about Mangini being a trader are very misguided and your reasoning is very weak.

Last edited:
well

DaBruinz said:
I would say that Pepper Johnson would be the best man for the job. I don't think that Pees would be a good candidate yet. And Collier isn't ready either.

This move just doesn't leave us with a hole at DC, but also a hole at the DBs Coach. It will be interesting to see who BB brings in. Collier might be ready to take over as the full-time DB coach. That would still leave the DC position.

If Pepper is promoted to the DC position, we'd still need a D-line coach because we have no one in the pipeline for that position.

Didn't BB spend a lot of "extra" time this year with the D-line. If so mabey pepper (i love the guy by the way) isn't ready for the DC's job)

I wonder though if Mangini had gone to the fins, if he would have still been a candidate for the job in NY?

I don't know if it was wise for Mangini to take the job, but I think it is absolutely crazy for the Jets to offer it to him. This is almost as bad as the Herm Edwards trade. I just don't think a first-year Defensive Coordinator, no matter what team he's with, has enough experience to be a head coach.

Will the Jets be patient while Mangini learns the ropes as HC? There will definately be a learning curve.

The Jets will rue the day. RUE!

BelichickFan said:
If Bates is the replacement, here is his resume - bold is his years with Belichick in Cleveland in which he coach DL, LB and Secondary and different times :

http://www.packers.com/team/coaches/bates_jim/

COACHING BACKGROUND:

Year College/Pro Team Position Coached
1968 Univ. of Tennessee Graduate Assistant
1972 Southern Mississippi Freshman Coach
1973 Villanova Offensive Line
1974 Villanova Linebackers
1975-76 Kansas State Linebackers
1977 West Virginia Secondary
1978-79 Texas Tech Secondary
1980-83 Texas Tech Defensive Coordinator
/Secondary
1984 San Antonio Gunslingers (USFL) Defensive Coordinator
1985 San Antonio Gunslingers (USFL) Head Coach
1986 Arizona Outlaws (USFL) Defensive Coordinator
1988 Detroit Drive (Arena) Assistant Coach
1989 Univ. of Tennessee Linebackers
1990 Univ. of Florida Defensive Coordinator
/Secondary
1991 Cleveland Browns Linebackers
1992-93 Cleveland Browns Defensive Ends

1994 Atlanta Falcons Defensive Coordinator
1995 Cleveland Browns Secondary
1996-97 Dallas Cowboys Linebackers
1998-99 Dallas Cowboys Asst. Head Coach
/Defensive Line
2000-04 Miami Dolphins Defensive Coordinator
2004 Miami Dolphins Defensive Coordinator/
Interim Head Coach (7 gm)
2005 Green Bay Packers Defensive Coordinator

He's 59 years old. Have to ask him if he has seriously considered how long he'd want to do this. Also, he has moved around a LOT. If I saw that on a resume, the reason for that would be among the first questions I'd ask. If they bring him in, do they piss off the existing defensive coaches so much that there'd be more attrition. Lot of questions.

Seymour93 said:
NFL Network's Adam Schefter thinks **** Jauron has a shot in Buffalo.

http://nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9169267

He most certainly does. Jauron finished 2nd behind Mularkey the last time the Bills hired their guy. Owner Ralph Wilson apparently really likes Jauron.

Big talk locally now is Sherman as GM and HC with Bates as assistant HC/DC. Sherman has held the dual role in the past with GB. He helps out the rookie Levy with the GM'ing, replacing him in a year or two, while Bates helps out Sherman as HC and calls the defense, replacing Sherman as HC when Sherman goes to GM in a year or two.

Apparently Haslett's name has dropped down a notch or two.

Who knows.

It's the right move for Mangini. If the Pats decline next year -- OK, a real unlikely event -- he becomes less of a hot prospect. This is his big chance to break into the ranks.

Too bad that we can't cheer for Mangini at all now -- at least with Romeo, we can root for him in Cleveland knowing we will play him onjce every three years, and that his success is the Steelers' loss.

SamBam39 said:
Look guys, there's no sense in being mad at a good young defensive coordinator for taking a head coaching job when offered. Just wish him well for cripes sake. It's petty to be mad at him.

It would be different if he was going to become the head coach of the Arizona Cardinals. Mangina jumped ship for a division foe, our longtime arch-rivals, the NEW YORK Jets.

Willie55 said:
tombonneau said:
He jumps now and in three years he gets fired by the Jets and he's stuck coaching high school football in Connecticut.

or;

He stays here, maybe 2 or 3 years. The Pats have one of the top D's in the league those three years. He can then write his ticket to where he wants to coach.

Do you want to make $2-3 million now and in a couple years be an afterthought. Or wait that two or three years and be set for life.

Ever hear of a guy named Bill Belichick before? He screwed the pooch in Cleveland...only to flourish here.

"Mangina"...good nickname for a foe.

Last edited:
Terry Glenn is a cowgirl said:
Willie55 said:
Ever hear of a guy named Bill Belichick before? He screwed the pooch in Cleveland...only to flourish here.

"Mangina"...good nickname for a foe.

Who is BB? Ya mean he jumped ship to become one of the greatest coaches in history? Never heard of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes