PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcolm Butler - Top 5 CB in the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pay the man Bill....pay em!!!

I don't think there is any question Malcolm should be paid top 10 CB money. Top 5 not sure but if the two sides are reasonable then they can make it happen.

The real issue is when the deal happens. He'll be 27 in March. If I'm NE, I lock him in this year because he'll be a year younger and he'll theoretically have more time in his prime. Plus the cap will continue to go up and he'd become more expensive.

This site shows the cap going up by another $25m in a couple of years

Projecting the NFL Salary Cap for 2016–20 Seasons - SalaryCapCrunch

Last edited:
I don't think there is any question Malcolm should be paid top 10 CB money. Top 5 not sure but if the two sides are reasonable then they can make it happen.

The real issue is when the deal happens. He'll be 27 in March. If I'm NE, I lock him in this year because he'll be a year younger, he'll theoretically have more time in his prime. Plus the cap will continue to go up and he'd become more expensive.

This site shows the cap going up by another $25m in a couple of years

Projecting the NFL Salary Cap for 2016–20 Seasons - SalaryCapCrunch

According to Miguel we are something like 60 million dollars under the cap next year..

According to Miguel we are something like 60 million dollars under the cap next year..
Yep and I think it'll potentially hit $70 w the new cap # and some contract tweaks here and there.

Space is not a problem.

When is Butler ever completely burned ala Kyle Arrington in his days as anon-slot receiver?

Even when this guy gets a catch recorded on him he seems to be close to making a play. In fact, I think Butler has an infuriating number of perfect catch/amazing receptions against him where he was in the perfect position and had perfect form.

Top 10, though. He might very well become top 5.

Butler may not be top 5, Top 10? Sure I can buy that. The one thing he has over MOST of the others at the same position. He is far and away the better tackler. He is not afraid to go head on with anyone. Our Secondary in general is a very tackling unit. They aren't always about the big hits, they are text book tacklers and smart enough to know when they can lay a snot bubbling hit.

1. Chris Harris
2. Richard Sherman
3. Aqib Talib
4. Malcolm Butler
5. Darius Slay
6. Patrick Peterson

The one thing we don't know about Butler is how clutch he is. In the biggest of games, with everything on the line, does he have the ability to step up and make a play? I guess we may never know.

I'd say top ten but I'd also say the difference between having a top ten corner and not having one is drastic. Completely changes your D.

I'd say top ten but I'd also say the difference between having a top ten corner and not having one is drastic. Completely changes your D.
A lot of it also depends on the pressure your DL can generate. If they aren't getting any sort of push and can't get in the QB's face a little, it leaves the QB too much time to make his checkdowns. There have been a few games this year, where our pass rush couldn't do anything. And we generally aren't a blitzing team, so leaving our DB's on an island is always going to be a tough. Butler, however, can hold his own. Even the SuperBowl he made some solid plays, but that one circus catch, Butler did his job he broke the play up, the guy had just stellar concentration when bringing the ball in.

The one thing we don't know about Butler is how clutch he is. In the biggest of games, with everything on the line, does he have the ability to step up and make a play? I guess we may never know.
maybe we can make it to the playoffs this year so he can get a chance to play when the lights are bright.

meanwhile, I'm worried about whether he's worth a lot of money when it doesn't seem there are a lot of balls thrown in his direction. why should he get paid big bucks when he isn't doing much?

Top 5, top 10 who cares all I know is when he went down with the wind knocked out of him I was having trouble breathing too. The pats need him as right now he is clear and away our number 1 corner. I would be very comfortable locking him up long term and don't want to **** around with RFA tenders and what not. Butler strikes me as a very loyal guy who appreciates the opportunity the pats gave him. Also having not made the kind of real money starting NFL corners make I believe he would be willing to give up some long term wealth for more upfront. Something like 5 for 50 with a 15 million signing bonus and 25-30 guaranteed sounds fair for both sides.

Top 5, top 10 who cares all I know is when he went down with the wind knocked out of him I was having trouble breathing too. The pats need him as right now he is clear and away our number 1 corner. I would be very comfortable locking him up long term and don't want to **** around with RFA tenders and what not. Butler strikes me as a very loyal guy who appreciates the opportunity the pats gave him. Also having not made the kind of real money starting NFL corners make I believe he would be willing to give up some long term wealth for more upfront. Something like 5 for 50 with a 15 million signing bonus and 25-30 guaranteed sounds fair for both sides.
I like Butler a lot as well. And I agree he is our best Corner. He may not be elite, but he is damn good at what he does and he is scrappy. Lock him up and keep him here for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe