PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones last two weeks

If Brady was here it would be another 2019 except the Bills exist and are very good. We already are seeing Brady this year with a problematic offense with problematic coaches

Yeah, Brady hasn't been able to carry a bad offense since at least 2018. But he would have at least taken the offense out of Patricia's hands and I doubt Belichick would have changed the offense if Brady was here. But that is what six Super Bowl rings and all the rest buys you.

Mac looks pretty good when throwing to first read, not so much after that. He's horrible throwing to his right--not sure if that's a footwork or arm strength thing. Play action requires a qb to make a quick decision after turning around and Mac seems to do better when he can see the field. Is it absolutely all on Patricia with the playcalling? How much is on Mac to call protections, change the play and recognize that certain coverages will dictate which receivers are open? I don't think Patricia is very good, but how good is Mac at doing all the things a qb has to do once the defense lines up before the snap?

Oline looked great last night, 0 sacks, very few pressures. What happened?
Waiting for Rob tell all.
Kenan Thompson Eating GIF by Saturday Night Live

The offense wins the game if the coach doesn’t steal a touchdown
The offense wins the game.....

...if Patricia lines up under center 4 times in a row (if needed) at the 1 yard line on first and goal. Unforgivable coaching.
...if Mac doesn't badly overthrow Jonnu Smith in the endzone during that same series.
...if Mac doesn't miss Jakobi on what would have been a huge pass play.
...if Agholar and Thornton showed any kind of clutch catching ability.
...if Mac didn't miss open receivers in his reads several times when the OL gave him a time.
...if Patricia didn't essentially decide to kneel on the ball 3 times with 3:30 left instead of just going for one first down.

We could go on.

Mac is surrounded by a lot of shyt dragging the offense down. We would all like to see a competent OC and some mistake free football to prop Mac up to average. An above average QB would be able to drag this shyt show to average. Mac is not good enough to do that.

As bad as Mac was yesterday, I don't even think he was the #1 problem. But he WAS a problem. And he mostly has been all year. He had several opportunities to overcome Patricia and the penalties. He didn't. He's not that guy.

It appears the argument is Mac could be "not bad" if he had competence around him.

And Mac Jones can't get the Team in from the One yard line on three chances.

Jones scored TDs twice on that drive. Coaching arguably took away both TD.

LOL! No you want to be right.

If Jones is not a QB the Pats can win with, I don't want him. The problem is we don't know if he is or not because of Belichick and his stupidity.

But what is the difference. The Pats are not going to be in position to draft an elite QB in 2023. Signing Jimmy G is a short term solution and probably isn't much of an upgrade anyway. Either the Pats find that Jones is the answer or 2023 is a lost season before it started.
I like your new angle, it's definitely better than Mac is good and everyone who doesn't think that just doesn't understand football.

I agree 2023 is setting up as a lost season as they don't have the QB of the future on the roster. Mac/Zappe probably aren't even Trent Dilfer level (statistical inflation adjusted) and this defense, while top 5, is not the 2000 Ravens. I'm of the belief that teams can win like that but not this team.

Zappe was horrible (against Chicago). The job was his and he blew it.
This is a really bad take.

It's a fact that Zappe's arm is very weak.
This is also a really bad take.

Guy was consistently getting the ball to the boundary and into tight windows with far more confidence than what I've seen from Mac so far.

I'm not saying Zappe has Mahomes' arm, nor am I say Mac's arm is useless. But I struggle to understand how can any fair-minded person who has watched the two play, can claim that it's a "fact" Zappe has a weak arm, both in general and relative to Mac.

Scouting reports by media experts are as useful as a knuckle in my Johnson. These are the same people who said Tom Brady had a weak arm. Moreover they said Cole Strange was a bad pick... the kid was leveling opponents yesterday.
I don't remember anyone saying Strange was a bad pick. The main thing as I remember it was where he was picked in the draft.
Zappe scored twice in the rain, then the entire team took a nose dive including the defense. Context isn't your strong suit.
Two drives isn't a full game. Yes the defense sucked but the QB was horrible. If he was that easy to figure out then the Patriots should have traded him after the Cleveland game. Maybe they should have anyway. Sell high as they say.
Mac was playing the 28th ranked defense in both points allowed and defense yesterday... they scored 1 TD... and it was primarily from rushing the ball for over 200 yards.
Ok but now that the Bears wrote the book on how to defend Zappe how would he have done? I suspect not any better.
I'm calling it like I see it and how it appears. Zappe is undefeated as a starter, the offense magically became good the instant he entered the game... decisive and explosive. This while the coaches kept the clamps on him to end the Green Bay game and in his first start. Once they let him off the chain against Cleveland, who stopped the run really well, Zappe punished them by shredding them.

Those ^ are the facts. One rainy wet game after where he entered midway and with the team around him falling apart doesn't change that. I liked Mac Jones the prospect, I liked Zappe as a prospect... Zappe looks to have more upside and more mental toughness. I could be wrong... but I don't deal in absolutes like you seem to be doing.
Zappe is a major project. Weak arm, his processing is slow (and his scouting report said that too), doesn't see the field all that well IMO, can't adjust to what the defense is giving him, he's not mobile, and doesn't do well when plays are breaking down like they often will in the NFL especially with this team and its OL. We saw that a lot in the Bears game. Also Mac was runner up for ROTY last year so we know he can be better than this because the sample size backs that up. I'm not convinced Zappe can be.

The actual Zappe is 2-0 as a starter. His efficiency as a passer is as good as anyone's seen since the 1950's and Sonny Jurgensen... but yeah, it's all "legend" and no substance.
If you honestly think he showed HOF potential because he beat the mediocre Lions who we shut out (Mac hadn’t been shut out in a single game so that’s a guaranteed win) and the 6-8 Browns who were starting Brissett…. idk how serious to take that.

Wrong thread.

Oline looked great last night, 0 sacks, very few pressures. What happened?

The o-line was great for them which is a low standard. But they weren't great. Jones was hit five times and pressured a lot. The Raiders just didn't sack him. But we give them credit for not letting a bunch of free rushers in to crush Jones on multiple plays.

On no realistic standard did they have a great game. They had a far better game than they normally had.

And I already said Jones played like crap. But just because he had a bad game doesn't mean this is proof he was the problem all along.

Zappe is a major project. Weak arm, his processing is slow (and his scouting report said that too), doesn't see the field all that well IMO, can't adjust to what the defense is giving him, he's not mobile, and doesn't do well when plays breaking down like it often will in the NFL especially with this team and its OL. We saw that a lot in the Bears game. Also Mac was runner up for ROTY last year so we know he can be better than this because the sample size backs that up. I'm not convinced Zappe can be.
Mac 10 Scouting report spot on!

Mac 10 Scouting report spot on!
See my last two sentences.

Sounds to me like Zappe is a poor man's Mac. So - why should we play him? ;)

See my last two sentences.

Sounds to me like Zappe is a poor man's Mac. So - why should we play him? ;)
I'm blind but can see that Mac Jones is bad.:rofl:
kind GIF

If we could only have the Legend of Bailey Zappe playing rather than than the actual Bailey Zappe, we could win like eight Super Bowls in a row with him. Zappe was asked to do very little in his first start. Against the Lions, he only threw 21 times and the Pats won by running the football.
He was efficient in those passes completing 17 averaging 9 yrds per attempt and did it again the next week. It’s limited sample size because he hasn’t played but his yards per completion is around 9 compared to 6-7 for Mac.

Last edited:
I like your new angle, it's definitely better than Mac is good and everyone who doesn't think that just doesn't understand football.

I agree 2023 is setting up as a lost season as they don't have the QB of the future on the roster. Mac/Zappe probably aren't even Trent Dilfer level (statistical inflation adjusted) and this defense, while top 5, is not the 2000 Ravens. I'm of the belief that teams can win like that but not this team.

I love how people love to put words in my mouth. I am mocking the logic of "The o-line was good yesterday and Jones sucked so that means Jones is the real problem with the offense" BS. If you watched the entire year of this team and actually think that, then yes, you do not understand football. You cannot get more superficial in analyzing football than that.

The offense wins the game.....

...if Patricia lines up under center 4 times in a row (if needed) at the 1 yard line on first and goal. Unforgivable coaching.
...if Mac doesn't badly overthrow Jonnu Smith in the endzone during that same series.
...if Mac doesn't miss Jakobi on what would have been a huge pass play.
...if Agholar and Thornton showed any kind of clutch catching ability.
...if Mac didn't miss open receivers in his reads several times when the OL gave him a time.
...if Patricia didn't essentially decide to kneel on the ball 3 times with 3:30 left instead of just going for one first down.

We could go on.

Mac is surrounded by a lot of shyt dragging the offense down. We would all like to see a competent OC and some mistake free football to prop Mac up to average. An above average QB would be able to drag this shyt show to average. Mac is not good enough to do that.

As bad as Mac was yesterday, I don't even think he was the #1 problem. But he WAS a problem. And he mostly has been all year. He had several opportunities to overcome Patricia and the penalties. He didn't. He's not that guy.

It appears the argument is Mac could be "not bad" if he had competence around him.
Pretty much. Mac isn’t on a competent team and he’s playing like… everyone else on the offense.

I love how people love to put words in my mouth. I am mocking the logic of "The o-line was good yesterday and Jones sucked so that means Jones is the real problem with the offense" BS. If you watched the entire year of this team and actually think that, then yes, you do not understand football. You cannot get more superficial in analyzing football than that.
How superficial do you need to be to not realize that when there little to no pressure and Mac is still throwing ducks it's the QB's fault?

Yeah it really is too bad they didn't/couldn't have traded Zappe when they had the chance before he was exposed against the Bears and all his value went kaput.

Selling high is a good thing. Would have been fascinating to see what he could have gotten in return from a team desperate for a QB. I bet it would have been a LOT more than the 4th they used on him.

I think the problems extend well beyond Mac. This is essentially the same group of personnel as last year and and yet their production is so much worse. We saw this coming all the way back in training camp so injuries at this point in the year are just excuses.
Bill has said on a few occasions "Players win games, coaches lose them" and although he has publicly stated he believes in the system, I'm sure he looks at all the mental lapses that have occurred and thinks this just hasn't worked and its not getting better.
I also think there are plenty of signs that the players just don't believe in what they are doing on offense (and really why would they) which just spells doom.
Surely Bill will decide that the Patricia/Judge thing was a mistake and make the necessary changes.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back