PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

M. Smith says Williams over Bush -- great article!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent read near the end when they get into the DE assignments at NC State, I think that is another plus for Lawson.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Excellent read near the end when they get into the DE assignments at NC State, I think that is another plus for Lawson.
Good read..I know Smith was trashed by many on ESPN..but I think he is correct.

I agree.I think a DE is more important to winning games especially in post season than a RB.

And if you play in the same division as Peyton, then you need a good pass rushing DE. Going head to head offensively with the COlts, Manning offense vs Bush offense, will not get Houston the Division title, IMO. SLowing down the Colts O might.

Excellent analysis

I remember we won our first Super Bowl with super-slow Antwoine Smith. A serviceable RB is an easier commodity to acquire than a top-flight, freakishly athletic DE.

A team needs a great defense or a great QB to win the Super Bowl. Great RBs can be neutralized by good defenses.

No. No. No. Have you guys not seen Bush play or something? How could you not take Bush #1?

Interesting read/point. I could swear I heard sombody else say the same thing yesterday. NFL network maybe?

drewdagreat said:
No. No. No. Have you guys not seen Bush play or something? How could you not take Bush #1?
Because a great DE has more impact on a game than a great RB?

If a RB could make the difference, then Priest Holmes, Ladalien Tomlinson, Ricky WIlliams, Edgerrin James, Shaun Alexander, Curtis Martin, etc etc etc would all have mulitple rings. Fact is, a RB helps, helps a lot, but is not what makes or breaks a team.

Antowain (Pokey) Smith is all you need.

Ideally Houston would probably like to trade down & select Ferguson. However it's unlikely they will find a team willing to give up multiple 1st day picks. The Jets are the only one's in a realistic position to do so.

drewdagreat said:
Easily, drafting for Houston I'd take Mario, D'Brick, A.J., and Vernon over him, and probably Ngata and Huff too. Yeh, the kid is a freak of nature and fun to watch, but I'm just a tortoise kind of guy looking for the finish line.

If I were Tangini and the choice was D'brick or Hawk, I'd take Hawk and grab one of the second tier LTs at 29. I'd probably choose Ngata over D'brick, I just think the defensive guys will have a greater impact on rebuilding duh J E T S. A pretty good LT can get the job done (Light, Kaczur, Ashworth). Buy your Walter Jones when your cupboard is full.

my personal opinion is that Reggie Bush is 'instant offense'.

it's true it's more of a 'commodity position' than Defensive End...

BUT

The Texans need to score points. This kid Bush could turn out to be an absolute freakin superstar.

Bush won't be able to score ANYTHING if he's flat on his back because the line in front of him can't block. Houston would be much better served trading down and taking Ferguson or Hawk. Then, if they take Hawk, then they take a 2nd tier OT in the second round. Someone like Colledge. The reason being is that they already have Dominick Davis and he does pretty well behind a below average O-line. If you beef up that O-line, then that will help improve Davis and Carr both.

Smith is right and that's what BB would do...

When you evaluate the value of a draft pick you need to not only get good value of the pick for a while; you need to get it for a long time. What is rhe average life expectancy at the top of a NFL RB? What is the life expectancy of a great defensive end?

RBs have a few great years and then some good ones. But most don't have more than 5 great years even if they play a lot longer.

Great DEs can have 10-12 great years.

The issue is straightforward. Take the player who will play for you for a LONG time. As for FA, I admire BB/SP's intelligence. There really are players that you break the bank to resign. Brady and Seymour. And others you don't. Adam, Givens, Milloy et cetera...

BB/SP payed Willie in 2000 the same compliment as Brady and Seymour but in 2006 he was no longer THE Willie McGinnest so they didn't.

drewdagreat said:
I think maybe you look at all of the other running backs drafted high in the first round - who also had phenomenal college careers and unbelievable film clips. And then you add up how many were busts or at best average players versus how many were truly star RBs. You might be better off playing roulette. And then, as is pointed out by other folks, if you are very lucky and get the low-odds RB superstar, did that get you any playoff wins ?? ?? ?? It kind of boggles the mind as to how any running backs get picked in the first round at all.

Bump..................................

Bush won't do squat with Houstons horrible O-line... mario williams will be an impact player.

Major kudos to Michael Smith for the article. I said all along that they would take Williams. However, it appears that someone has deleted the hundreds of threads in which I said that (loud, nervous cough). I remember telling Miss Gcat about a month ago that Reggie Bush going as the first pick was as close to a certainty as you would get in sport. :bricks:
My guess for them not trading down is that perhaps nobody wanted to trade with them at the price being offered. It's a deep draft so why trade up? Either that, or they really liked Williams. Is he that good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News