PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Luis Castillo released. Another look?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BB likes the players from elite schools. Castillo is from Northwestern. He qualifies. :D

I wonder if he's ever considered a player from Wesleyan. I think that's where he went to college.

I wonder if he's ever considered a player from Wesleyan. I think that's where he went to college.
Nope, they've only had one NFL player:
Jeff Wilner, TE at NFL.com

As for Castillo, I don't see why not. If nothing else, he can open up a spot for Warren in week 6 :eek:

what charger fan knows about football, you can fit in a thimble. :verycool:

Chargers fans are not broken up about this.

For the most part I don't blame them. Castillo has been hurt, missed pretty much the entire year, and they seem to have adequate depth at the moment anyway. Reyes, Liuget, Martin, and Jacques Cesaire are deemed as the up and comers/+ steady players at the position. IIRC, the hype was pretty high for L.Castillo after a big 1st/2nd year back in '05 and 06, but he didn't really live up to that hype after that.

As far as the NEP bringing him in, he did have the past 2 years (before last season's broken leg) where he played in almost all of the games, and was pretty reliable at the position, steady but unspectacular. He's certainly worth another look, unless they've already made up their minds during the first visit as far as injury healing and potential fit for the various schemes.

I would want to at least bring him in if they can reach an agreement, which shouldn't be extremely difficult seeing as how SD resigned him to a low one year deal at a base of approx. 800,000. We have the room right now, and in a worst case scenario can simply let him go after TC. In a best case option, he becomes a reliable rotational guy and/or provides more adequate depth at a reasonable cost.

We're investing a lot of picks at linebacker, rush de and defensive back, which are eventually going to cost us, so why not take a flyer on a veteran who's had injury problems and can play 3-4 DE and elsewhere on the line? 2004's Seymour and Warren ain't walking through that door.

Low risk, potential reward.

Castillo has been hurt, missed pretty much the entire year. As far as the NEP bringing him in, he did have the past 2 years (before last season's broken leg) where he played in almost all of the games, and was pretty reliable at the position, steady but unspectacular. He's certainly worth another look, unless they've already made up their minds during the first visit as far as injury healing and potential fit for the various schemes.

I would want to at least bring him in if they can reach an agreement, which shouldn't be extremely difficult seeing as how SD resigned him to a low one year deal at a base of approx. 800,000. We have the room right now, and in a worst case scenario can simply let him go after TC. In a best case option, he becomes a reliable rotational guy and/or provides more adequate depth at a reasonable cost.

We're investing a lot of picks at linebacker, rush de and defensive back, which are eventually going to cost us, so why not take a flyer on a veteran who's had injury problems and can play 3-4 DE and elsewhere on the line? 2004's Seymour and Warren ain't walking through that door.

Low risk, potential reward.

The Pats had Castillo in for a visit a few months ago, and we don't know what their assessment of him or level of interest was. They may have deemed him not full recovered, past his prime, or not a good fit for various reasons, as Supafly notes. If there was significant interest, then it certainly makes sense to take another look and re-evaluate things, along the lines that both of the above posts suggest.

He beats Gerard Warren, so why not??

He beats Gerard Warren, so why not??

I think that this comment is debatable, Joey, and I don't mean to sound argumentative by saying so (especially after disagreeing with another one of your posts in the TE thread).

To start with, I'm not sure that the comparison between the 2 is fair on some levels, specifically the roles and responsibilities, but just to delve into it a bit:

I think that G.Warren certainly has limitations and is getting up there in yrs, but he has also helped the team in some ways, has been reliable, and is already knowledgable of their schemes and his specific responsibilities here.

Castillo may certainly have more upside and is quite younger etc, but as noted he is recovering from an injury--so that is likely the key issue.

The last I heard in regards to L.Castillo was a few days ago, and the article I read stated that he wasn't even sure if he wanted to continue playing football after his release from SD, so that may be another factor. It will surely be something to keep an eye on, and one would imagine that the team would be all over it as added competition + depth IF they chose to be.

The last I heard in regards to L.Castillo was a few days ago, and the article I read stated that he wasn't even sure if he wanted to continue playing football after his release from SD, so that may be another factor. It will surely be something to keep an eye on, and one would imagine that the team would be all over it as added competition + depth IF they chose to be.

and we know how BB just loves players who really aren't interested in football :)

and a shout out to Matt Light here!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case