PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lucky Sevens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revman

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Here are Seven players that I have selected as my target selections for round one-#23 overall. Based on recent visits-value boards-and personal interest:

1. Rey Maualuga-ILB-U.S.C.-Patriots have a major weakness next to Mayo-Bruschi's age/injuries-no depth. If Maualuga is available grab him. He has the best chance to contribute immediately as the power ILB next to Mayo.

2. Andre Smith-Patriots had him in for a reason. Patriots are the club that could develop Smith-make him earn his paycheck-plus he is a legit star that could fall to them.

3. Evander Hood-This guy is still being overlooked. I see him and think of a long time starter as a 3/4 DE that can slide to tackle in 4/3 sets. Instinctive,disruptive,energetic, with great talent and better engine.

4. Malcom Jenkins-CB-Ohio St- If he drops to Patriots he is a player that will survive in this league as a starter for years. Not esplosive but smart-instictive-and versatile.

5. Alex Mack-Center-California-Best O-lineman in this draft. Centers are hard to take at 23. Pat's did it with Woody years ago-Mack will be one of the best values from this draft when we look back.

6. Knowshon Moreno-RB-Ga- Best talent at RB Position this year, If all 5 of previous are gone-Moreno would be a value here.

7. Darius Butler-CB-Connecticut- one of top 3 CB'S available. Not a playmaker but a solid lock on corner that can stick with #1 receivers in time. If all 6 previous players are gone-I would be happy with him.

*If we keep #34- I would then grab either :

1. Larry English-power edge rusher-dips that shoulder to get pressure.
2. Alphonso Smith-playmaker-jumps routes-will get turnovers.
3. Percy Harvin-he could fall to 34 with character concerns. Belicheck knows his value and can fix his ego.

Go Patriots!

Here are Seven players that I have selected as my target selections for round one-#23 overall. Based on recent visits-value boards-and personal interest:

1. Rey Maualuga-ILB-U.S.C.-Patriots have a major weakness next to Mayo-Bruschi's age/injuries-no depth. If Maualuga is available grab him. He has the best chance to contribute immediately as the power ILB next to Mayo.

2. Andre Smith-Patriots had him in for a reason. Patriots are the club that could develop Smith-make him earn his paycheck-plus he is a legit star that could fall to them.

3. Evander Hood-This guy is still being overlooked. I see him and think of a long time starter as a 3/4 DE that can slide to tackle in 4/3 sets. Instinctive,disruptive,energetic, with great talent and better engine.

4. Malcom Jenkins-CB-Ohio St- If he drops to Patriots he is a player that will survive in this league as a starter for years. Not esplosive but smart-instictive-and versatile.

5. Alex Mack-Center-California-Best O-lineman in this draft. Centers are hard to take at 23. Pat's did it with Woody years ago-Mack will be one of the best values from this draft when we look back.

6. Knowshon Moreno-RB-Ga- Best talent at RB Position this year, If all 5 of previous are gone-Moreno would be a value here.

7. Darius Butler-CB-Connecticut- one of top 3 CB'S available. Not a playmaker but a solid lock on corner that can stick with #1 receivers in time. If all 6 previous players are gone-I would be happy with him.

*If we keep #34- I would then grab either :

1. Larry English-power edge rusher-dips that shoulder to get pressure.
2. Alphonso Smith-playmaker-jumps routes-will get turnovers.
3. Percy Harvin-he could fall to 34 with character concerns. Belicheck knows his value and can fix his ego.

Go Patriots!

Of your list, the only one who would really excite me at 23 is Malcolm Jenkins. I'll take William Beatty over Smith at OT and Donald Brown over Moreno at RB, and Clay Matthews or Robert Ayers over Maualuga for an SILB. Butler is ok but I wouldn't get excited. Mack is a fine player but I wouldn't grab an interior lineman before 34. One of Mack or Eric Wood would be available, and I rate Wood equal to Mack.

My short list at 23 (in order of preference):

1. Malcolm Jenkins, if he slips
2. Connor Barwin
3. William Beatty

Otherwise I trade down.

Yeah I would reduce that down to a lucky 3:

Malcom Jenkins
Knowshon Moreno
Darius Butler

The reason I would be willing to take a CB at #23 is because I don't see one worthy after the above 2 until you get to #58 which is where I would value Alphonso.

At #34 I would want the following:

1. English
then it's a tie between Matthews & Barwin
3. Louis Delmas

Of your list, the only one who would really excite me at 23 is Malcolm Jenkins. I'll take William Beatty over Smith at OT and Donald Brown over Moreno at RB, and Clay Matthews or Robert Ayers over Maualuga for an SILB. Butler is ok but I wouldn't get excited. Mack is a fine player but I wouldn't grab an interior lineman before 34. One of Mack or Eric Wood would be available, and I rate Wood equal to Mack.

My short list at 23 (in order of preference):

1. Malcolm Jenkins, if he slips
2. Connor Barwin
3. William Beatty

Otherwise I trade down.

At 34 I take one of my top 3 if they slip, otherwise:

4. Louis Delmas, S
5. Jarron Gilbert, DE

Assuming I get 2 of those 5 players at 23 and 34, if any are still on the board I consider trading up. That's my algorithm. Then I fill in the gaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back