PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lots of Rotation for PATS Oline in Miami?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR4

In the Starting Line-up
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone think there will be lots of rotation for PATS Oline?
I mean,
  • PATS have not declared a starting OLine yet
  • We did see a constant starting Oline in pre-Season
  • Mankins is gone so the oline is a big ?
  • They are playing in Miami with high temps and humidity
  • There are several plausible combinations for earning starter status
Is this a game where rotation is almost mandated because of the situation
and maybe PATS needing more input to make a final decision? I know once before
PATs tried rotation for Oline but finally settled into 5 and no rotation.

There better be lots of rotation on both lines.

Despite the focus on conditioning during training camp, the limited number of full pads practices and the limited number of snaps during the 4 pre-season games can lead to a lot of issues: spotty tackling, uneven play, fatigue, injury.

The coaching staff can manage everyone's snaps a little early on with a planned rotation so that we can use 7 OL, by mixing in Stork and Wendell. Give Cannon time at both G and T allowing for Vollmer to take a breather. Same for the DL. Do you really want Chandler and Vince playing 80 snaps week 1?

It could be 100 degrees and humid. Players might need IVs at half time.

Rotate your players! Better to keep everyone healthy and fresh for the 4th quarter than to have to take them out when they cramp up.

The regular season is not the time for experiments.

That being said, I expect rotation because of the weather. I expect us to have Stork and Fleming inactive and freely substitute the remaining 7.

Week 2 @ Minnesota, expect the starters to go most of the game. It'll be outdoors at the college stadium, but it won't be 100 degrees in Minnesota.

Terrible idea. Rotation is not something you want on the o-line. They better have figured out who their starting five were this preseason.

Linemen get injured. Over the course of the season, versatile, healthy linemen will be an asset. it is something we have always done in the past and got away from.

Last edited:
Offensive lines work as one cohesive unit. The ability to do so is just as important, if not more important than each player's individual talent.

Plugging players in and out during the course of a game does not help that cohesiveness. There are already enough changes to this year's offensive line as is; no need to add to that potential problem with non-injury related substitutions.

While I want the backups to be able to step right in and produce when the inevitable injury occurs, I would prefer that they learn their roles on the practice field, and not in a game situation.

Offensive lines work as one cohesive unit. The ability to do so is just as important, if not more important than each player's individual talent.

Plugging players in and out during the course of a game does not help that cohesiveness. There are already enough changes to this year's offensive line as is; no need to add to that potential problem with non-injury related substitutions.

While I want the backups to be able to step right in and produce when the inevitable injury occurs, I would prefer that they learn their roles on the practice field, and not in a game situation.

A traditionalist. :)

If we want a consistent and cohesive unit to start the season, the answer is
Solder-Kline-Wendell-Connoly-Vollmer, with Cannon coming if needed at OT.
Devey would be the 7th offensive lineman.

Yes, this is conventional "wisdom". But BB is anything but conventional.
The assumption being made against rotation is that
IF the same 5 players play together a high percentage of the snaps then
that offensive line will work better " as one cohesive unit".

What make them a "cohesive unit"? Playing time together? Knowing how someone next to you will
react to certain situations? What is to say an Oline coach couldn't devise a way that 7 or 8 guys could have
that "one cohesive unit" factor no matter which 5 were on the field?
Can you imagine the advantage an Oline would have if this could be done? Suppose it didn't matter which of 3 tackles were on the field or which of 3 guards were on the field or which of two
centers was on the field then
- players are always rested in the 4thQ
- opposing players have to know a lot more than just one assignment.

I remember BB trying this one season for awhile. It didn't work but I bet he would love to have such
a group of Oline men. Maybe he does?

But you are most probably right and PATs will settle into a conventional oline.

A traditionalist. :)

If we want a consistent and cohesive unit to start the season, the answer is
Solder-Kline-Wendell-Connoly-Vollmer, with Cannon coming if needed at OT.
Devey would be the 7th offensive lineman.

Moving to a new line and allowing them to develop cohesion is different from rotating out linemen on a regular basis. Mankins was traded prior to the 4th preseason game, so we don't really know what line BB envisioned.

My personal hope is that he finds a line that works and sticks to it, rather than rotating guys in and out. I can understand the value of doing that for the Miami game given the heat and the lack of a prior established rotation, but in general I think that is not a great idea.

For the record, I wasn't talking about "in game" necessarily, though that's the thread. BB definitely has rotated linemen in season before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News