PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lots of RB's Hit FA Market

Status
Not open for further replies.
letekro said:
Ummm...95% of those guys flat out suck, and each of the 4 established stars (Green, Alexander, James, Lewis) has at least one major problem in addition to being prohibitely expensive:

Green: Fumbles, injuries

Alexander: How good would this guy be behind an average offensive line? He's like a soft version of Emmitt Smith

Jamal Lewis: Felon

Edge: Wrong side of 30

Davenport is probably the most intriguing, but he poops in peoples's closets.

Elektro - Where do you get your information? Edgerring James is 27. NOT the wrong side of 30.

I disagree with your assessment that 95% of the guys flat out suck. There are 50+ RBs available. And, sorry to say, there are more than just 3 good ones.

Besides the top 5 of James, Alexander, Green, Lewis, Foster, there is a decent 2nd level that includes Anthony Thomas (who played well despite a poor Saints O-line) Michael Bennett, Najah Davenport, Moe Williams. There are others who have potential like Tony Fisher, Jonathan Wells, LaBrandon Toefield, and Chester Taylor.

Also, that list of 52 includes FBs. Not sure why, but it does. So, that would reduce your 95% suck statement to only 1 good RB available and that is just so far from the truth its not even funny.

KDPpatsfan said:
I think a-train is done. He didn't make it in New Orleans so why would he make it here.

Not sure how you can say Anthony Thomas couldn't make it in New Orleans. Its not like they really gave him much of a chance. a whole whopping 7 carries in 4 games?

If somebody on that laundry list of retreads is a young guy who didn't get a chance, maybe.

Otherwise I think 2 mid round picks might be brought along slowly with our 3 veteran backs.

Plenty of deadwood now, unfortunately, (Klecko, Hill?).

One more shout-out to JR Redmond. He came up HUGE against Oakland and Rams.

Foster got tagged (transition--$5.153mil tender)

so maybe Stephen Davis joins this list soon?

Flying Fungi said:
so maybe Stephen Davis joins this list soon?

Doubtful. He is all done with the injuries he has had.

dhamz said:
Doubtful. He is all done with the injuries he has had.

I meant the available list--not necessarily anything we'd want...

DaBruinz said:
Not sure how you can say Anthony Thomas couldn't make it in New Orleans. Its not like they really gave him much of a chance. a whole whopping 7 carries in 4 games?
That is my point... he couldn't get carries in Dallas,Chicago, OR New Orleans. If you can't get carries especiall on the Saints it doesn't say a whole lot.

Chester Taylor would be one of the better fits. He will likely stick around in the Ravens camp though. The Browns are also hot for him (signed him to a offer sheet last year).

I wouldn't mind making a run at Morris. He'll probably come cheap.

redmond's like hendu

patsox23 said:
One more shout-out to JR Redmond. He came up HUGE against Oakland and Rams.
he and jermaine wiggins are players i follow in game stats as they move around the league.
you know, hendu hit a CRITICAL home run late in a playoff game against th a's. "his money will never be any good in boston" is what a couple of the more loquacious scribes wrote.
but redmond? what a performance. never forget it.
wiggins? he caught everything thrown his way that night. besides, he's a homeboy.
as for me, i'd take any of the top 4. BUT gotta get the player for $2m, no more that $2.5m. need someone who wants ta get a ring, man. screw all the rest. to me that sounds like the edge.
otherwise do the best BB/SP can do in the draft. either a bruiser or a disappearing-act guy.
oh please great spirit.

ilduce06410 said:
wiggins? he caught everything thrown his way that night. besides, he's a homeboy.
It doesn't makesense to sign a guy based on one game. Look at the rest of 2001. Pick any game except the oakland game and he is a bust. I will always remember the snow bowl, but do not want to sign a guy because of one game.

Signing him because he comes from the area is even dumber. There has to be a better way to build a winning team than signing guys because of where they live.

Bottom line: WIggins can't block. He should play in offenses where TEs catch, not block. Rutledge could block but not catch. Defenses could tell RUN or PASS depending on which TE we had in. Watson, Graham and Fauria can all block and catch.

That's the guy you want.

KDPpatsfan said:
That is my point... he couldn't get carries in Dallas,Chicago, OR New Orleans. If you can't get carries especiall on the Saints it doesn't say a whole lot.

1st off, I am not sure where you get that Thomas couldn't get carries in Chicago.

2ndly, in Dallas, he was behind Jones at the very least.

3rd, All the New Orleans RBs stunk it up last year behind that O-line.

You can't judge a book by its cover, KDP. I'm not saying that the Patriots would bring him in or that they SHOULD, but they did look at him last year and he chose the Saints. But a team isn't going to automatically assume the guy can come in and be their #1. Especially when he didn't know their offense. And I know you are smarter than to say that he just has to run the ball.

In the 4 games he played for the Saints, the Saints only led in two of them. About 5 minutes against Atlanta and for 1 quarter agianst the Lions. Also, because he was still learning the offense, he'd only get carries behind Antowain Smith.

Again, to make assumptions about whether Thomas is done based on last years performance really isn't fair unless you view everything that went into that performance.

I have always liked Najeh Davenport but the fact is he is never healthy. Sure anybody can get hurt but we need someone more reliable. I like LaBrandon Toefield a lot, but since he is restricted we would have to give up what, a 4th rounder to get him? I dont know if that would be worth it or not. We know BB isn't afraid to go after restricted free agents.

KDPpatsfan said:

I am not jumping on you KD, but Anthony did get quite a few carries in Chicago prior to Jerry Angelo taking ove as GM. They shifted philosophy and the run game did not call for a power back, but a smaller quick back. Angelo then brought in Jones for his scheme. A-Train is the perfect back for our offense IMO and could be had cheap.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back