PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lots of RB's Hit FA Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady'sButtBoy

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Now that Lewis will become a FA the pool of available RB's is even more amazing. There are many intriguing names, even way down the list. Names that include a younger, more talented group of FA RB's than I can remember. I know his name has been mentioned here before but Chester Taylor would look good in a Pat's uniform. Oh, how I wish we didn't have to pay Dillon $5mil in 2006 because that kind of money would buy an awful lot this year...

Alexander
James
Lewis
Foster

are the big money studs but look what else is out there-

Ahman Green
M. Bennett
Travis Henry
Chester Taylor

plus all these other guys
9. Jeremi Johnson (R) Cincinnati
10. Fred Beasley (U) San Francisco
11. Anthony Thomas (U) New Orleans
12. William Henderson (U) Green Bay
13. Mack Strong (U) Seattle
14. Shawn Bryson (U) Detroit
15. Najeh Davenport (U) Green Bay
16. Moe Williams (U) Minnesota
17. Verron Haynes (U) Pittsburgh
18. Travis Minor (U) Miami
19. Maurice Morris (U) Seattle
20. Sammy Morris (U) Miami
21. Rock Cartwright (U) Washington
22. Musa Smith (R) Baltimore
23. Tony Fisher (U) Green Bay
24. Jonathan Wells (U) Houston
25. Obafemi Ayanbadejo (U) Arizona
26. Lamar Gordon (U) Philadelphia
27. LaBrandon Toefield (R) Jacksonville
28. Jameel Cook (U) Tampa Bay
29. Tony Richardson (U) Kansas City
30. Heath Evans (U) New England
31. Reno Mahe (R) Philadelphia
32. Michael Cloud (U) New England
33. Antowain Smith (U) New Orleans
34. James Mungro (U) Indianapolis
35. Chad Morton (U) NY Giants
36. James Jackson (U) Arizona
37. Arlen Harris (R) St. Louis
38. Fred McCrary (U) Atlanta
39. J.R. Redmond (U) Arizona
40. Ron Dayne (U) Denver
41. Fred McAfee (U) New Orleans
42. Kenny Watson (U) Cincinnati
43. Omar Easy (U) Oakland
44. Andrew Pinnock (R) San Diego (re-signed)
45. Ovie Mughelli (R) Baltimore
46. Paul Smith (U) Detroit
47. Aveion Cason (U) St. Louis
48. Steve Bush (U) San Francisco
49. Harold Morrow (U) Arizona
50. Chris Massey (U) St. Louis
51. Chris Hetherington (U) San Francisco
52. Keith Belton (U) Chicago

Last edited:
I'll be really disappointed if we don't at least make a serious run at one of those guys.

huskeralk said:
I'll be really disappointed if we don't at least make a serious run at one of those guys.

Like #s 30, 32, 33 or 39?

PatsWickedPissah said:
That reminds me of what a colossal waste J.R. Redmond was.....

KDPpatsfan said:
That reminds me of what a colossal waste J.R. Redmond was.....

Hey, he had one memorable series in "The Drive"

PatsWickedPissah said:

I'm convinced that Belichick's plan does not include a rookie RB. Antowain Smith and Corey Dillon, it looks more like he prefers getting a veteran RB with a couple years left and running him into the ground. I'm okay with that plan but I think Dillon might be waist deep in the ground already time for the next one. Lewis or Ahman Green would be nice.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind Foster. Though I think his pricetag would be too high. I think the Pats could really use a guy like Travis Henry for times when the backfield is banged up and Faulk or Dillon are missing time. Well, Henry minus the fumbles. Which really means minus Henry I guess, since that guy fumbles so much.

Najeh Davenport (U) Green Bay

jimmyjames said:
Najeh Davenport (U) Green Bay

He's coming off a pretty wicked broken foot and poops in girls laundry baskets. I'll take a pass, personally.

Unless Travis Henry was cut by the Titans, he is NOT a free agent. His contract, according the the NFLPA, runs through 2009.

I'll say it again, just for giggles. I hope Belichick makes an offer to Johnathan Wells or, depending on the tender, LaBrandon Toefield.

I like Jonathan Wells also, and The A-Train Anthony Thomas would look good in our system

Boston Boxer said:
I like Jonathan Wells also, and The A-Train Anthony Thomas would look good in our system
I think a-train is done. He didn't make it in New Orleans so why would he make it here.

Ummm...95% of those guys flat out suck, and each of the 4 established stars (Green, Alexander, James, Lewis) has at least one major problem in addition to being prohibitely expensive:

Green: Fumbles, injuries

Alexander: How good would this guy be behind an average offensive line? He's like a soft version of Emmitt Smith

Jamal Lewis: Felon

Edge: Wrong side of 30

Davenport is probably the most intriguing, but he poops in peoples's closets.

PatsWickedPissah said:
Hey, he had one memorable series in "The Drive"

Yeah, but what a series! There will always be a warm spot in my heart for Redmond!

Brady'sButtBoy said:
Oh, how I wish we didn't have to pay Dillon $5mil in 2006 because that kind of money would buy an awful lot this year...

I'm not sure any of the big names you cite could be had for $5 million a season. Additionally they will all want big signing bonuses - something tough to do right now - especially if there is no CBA agreement.

Whether Dillon's $5 million is too high remains to be seen - for the injured RB we saw last year it was - for the healthy RB we saw the year before its a good deal.

But that's the debate I guess - whether Dillon was healthy or not.

Personally from what I've read, many scouts have remarked Dillon seemingly couldn't cut left even when he was healthy enough to play. That doesn't sound like a guy who was healthy to me.

Hopefully the offseason will allow him to heal up and recapture 2004's glory.

No way IMHO Pats go for a big name. If Dillon's healthy, he'll be fine.

shakadave said:
Yeah, but what a series! There will always be a warm spot in my heart for Redmond!
Same here!

letekro said:
Ummm...95% of those guys flat out suck, and each of the 4 established stars (Green, Alexander, James, Lewis) has at least one major problem in addition to being prohibitely expensive:

Alexander: How good would this guy be behind an average offensive line? He's like a soft version of Emmitt Smith

Isn't edge 27? It would be nice to get Edge and have Brady abuse his PA fake with Edge, but it could be very expensive as well.

letekro said:

James isn't 30, he's 27. He turns 28 in August.

Jamal Lewis is a felon, but the crime he commited was in Oct. 2000 -- before he was drafted. He hasn't had any substance abuse problems since he's been in the league. Randy Moss or Ricky Williams he's not.

Davenport is a stiff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back