PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Looks like Wilson and Hobbs are our starting CBs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody here ever listen to Belichick? Guess not.
He says that he uses training camp to cross train versitile players at different positions so he'll have depth in season as inevitable injuries mount. He's always done this where he can. Sometimes it works out, often it does not.

Whoops! Somehow missed the previous post. Right on.

Last edited:
patsox23 said:
Who says Samuel is our "best corner?" Hobbs is one of our starting CBs, period. Geno, while primarily a safety, HAS played CB for the Pats, and I think - given the abundance of safeties - will see more action there this year. HOWEVER...

people REALLY need to stop reading into the first day of TC. Beli is likely just cultivating versatility. I'm as excited as everyone else, but let's keep it in perspective. This stuff happens EVERY year with BB.

I say he's our best corner. I know that means nothing to you but my opinion means just as much as anyone elses. I watched every game last season and I think he was alot more consistent than Hobbs was. I did however say that Hobbs would probably be starting opposite of Samuel though.

Pats67 said:
I've said it before - more people should be listening to this guy.

You must like being called an idiot...

One: Did you not see Hobbs at corner last season? He was better than anyone else we had.

Two: Have you not seen how tall Asante is?

Three: Starks was taller, what did that get him?

I've disagreed with alot of things that you've said, but this by far takes the cake. If you think Hobbs wont work as a starter, please at least come up with some viable reasons, not just his height. Silly. Pointless.

NEM said:
I think one might be Wilson, but the other wont be Hobbs. Probably Asante. Maybe Gay. But not Hobbs. He will be eaten up alive, because of his height, as a starter at corner. Much better as a nickel.

huskeralk said:
You must like being called an idiot...

Just because you do doesn't mean is works for the rest of us...:D

Belichick has been trying to upgrade at corner since the first day of FA when he tried to sign Townsend, then offered $7M to Ty to return to his LCB slot. (Actually he tried in 2005 with Starks and whiffed.) The only consistency in Asante's performance in 2005 was it's inconsistency - he was MIA for most of the regular season. He regained his stride in late December but then he skipped the off season program here and stayed home with the wife and kids. Odd strategy for a guy entering his contract year and coming off a season where his stock dropped dramatically due to inconsistency. Hobbs is raw but very talented. He stayed here all off season and his stock likely rose as a result.

I think the corner competition is wide open with an early edge to Hobbs if he doesn't get too full of himself. The rest including Asante are competing for the other starters slot, nickel, dime and depth. With a great front 7 we don't need shutdown corners, but it's comforting to know they guys you have out there can mount a shutdown effort in a pinch. Last year Asante proved at the least he was not that.

huskeralk said:
I say he's our best corner. I know that means nothing to you but my opinion means just as much as anyone elses. I watched every game last season and I think he was alot more consistent than Hobbs was. I did however say that Hobbs would probably be starting opposite of Samuel though.

I do too. I can't beleive I'm agreeing with you, hukeralk, but Samuel is DEFINITELY our betst corner. This thread, coming after 1 day of TC, is either just plain stupid or intentionally provocative.

I rate our CBs like this:

1. Samuel
2. Wilson
3. Hobbs
4. Poteat (yes, that's right)

Also, with our depth at safety (Tebucky, Hawkins, Sanders and Scott), it only makes sense to move Wilson to corner. IMO he wasn't playing too well without Harrison next to him.

NEM said:
And, if our front 7 does the job, as we expect, look for opposing offenses to counter with quick inside slants, and crossings....routes that a shorter CB is easily beaten on.....

I think you should just give up. This argument is just ridiculous.

lapatsfan said:
I rate our CBs like this:

1. Samuel
2. Wilson
3. Hobbs
4. Poteat (yes, that's right)

Also, with our depth at safety (Tebucky, Hawkins, Sanders and Scott), it only makes sense to move Wilson to corner. IMO he wasn't playing too well without Harrison next to him.

There's no way I'd rank Poteat above Randall Gay.

shmessy said:
There's no way I'd rank Poteat above Randall Gay.
Golly gee whiz, but it seems many of the later posters are sipping silly juice (well NEM gulps his :p, and rook was on something strong to start this thread). As the lead bongo player for our Hank, I'd hate to rank him the number four CB - he is however, a Patriot CB through and through. :rocker:

Well, you can all wait for TC to make yourselves comfortable with Wilson starting at CB. I'm ready to make the call. It just makes too much sense on the 53-man.

The "if it aint broke dont fix it" argument TOTALLY does not apply here. The secondary was terrible last year-- bottom third in the league. It's no mistake that BB was willing to offer up for Law this offseason. We were physically overmatched at CB last year, and were forced to rely on a rookie to give is legitimate minutes.

What have we added at CB over last year? Nothing. Warfield-- like I said, nothing.

But at S, we've added Tebucky who has as much experience as Wilson (or more) at FS in BB's scheme, plus we're getting Scott and Harrison back from the IR at S. And we already have Hawkins and Sanders healthy and experienced.

Given that Wilson has S/CB flexibility, it's a simple matter of shifting the roles around to get our best players on the field.

Wilson is hands down the more physical and versatile player, compared to Samuel. And Hobbs is already getting buzz as a possible future all-pro. That comes from somewhere.

You can discount the decision to leave Samuel healthy on the sidelines watching 11 on 11 drills if you like. To me, it is a more significant gesture than you all seem to be giving credit-- and not equivalent to Klecko playing NT with Wilfork injured.

I believe this is for real, and I'll bet we start the season with Wilson at corner.

To me, the ideal on paper is actually a starting secondary of Wilson, Tebucky, Harrison and Hobbs: physical and strong. Plenty of pop. How can you argue with that?

rookBoston said:
The "if it aint broke dont fix it" argument TOTALLY does not apply here. The secondary was terrible last year-- bottom third in the league. It's no mistake that BB was willing to offer up for Law this offseason. We were physically overmatched at CB last year, and were forced to rely on a rookie to give is legitimate minutes.

I wasn't talking about CB, I was talking about Wilson in particular. He is a great FS, so why move him to CB now? If he had the talent to be a starting CB, we never would have moved him to FS in the first place IMO.

rookBoston said:
To me, the ideal on paper is actually a starting secondary of Wilson, Tebucky, Harrison and Hobbs: physical and strong. Plenty of pop. How can you argue with that?
Three wide comes to mind.

rookBoston said:

I'll argue with it beacuse of two reasons.

1. Tebucky was garbage the last time he was here playing safety. I'm happy to see him back but I really have my doubts about him being our full time starting safety.

2. Hobbs gambles way too much. For every one big play, he makes three bad plays. Most people just tend to forget about the bad plays because they're so excited about the one good play.

You ask why we would move Wilson to corner now.

There are many answers.

OPTION 1
Wilson needs to get some reps at corner in case of injury and to keep up the quality of his coverage skills. He'll be back to FS soon enough.

OPTION 2
BB wants to try all options during camp at secondary, making sure that he has backups in case of injury. He'll be back to safety soon enough.

OPTION 3
BB isn't at all comfortable with choosing his four corners from Hobbs, Samuel, Gay, Scott and Warfield. He may see, as I do, qualified nickel backs. He needs to have three capable of starting at corner. He may have them in the five corners, he may not.

I don't agree with the majority here that seem fine with Hobbs and Samuel starting, with Gay as the nickel, and with Scott or Warfield at dime and as injury insurance.

huskeralk said:
I wasn't talking about CB, I was talking about Wilson in particular. He is a great FS, so why move him to CB now? If he had the talent to be a starting CB, we never would have moved him to FS in the first place IMO.

NEM said:
he will get eaten up alive

Today's corners need that extra height to match, or at least come close, to the receivers height.

Hobbs will get beaten more often than not, because he cant match height with the receivers, and good QB's will put the ball at a height that only the breaking receiver cn get to it.

Yesterday's (pre-2003 Indy No-Touch Rule) corners needed to be bigger. Today's corners need to be smaller and quicker. Ability to turn and adjust direction/speed quickly to stay with a WR is of primary importance, now that you can't bump the WR.

Hobbs didn't get eaten alive or beaten more than not last year as a rookie. Why will that happen now that he has some experience?

You over-rate the ability of a QB to place the ball where only a WR can get it. If they could do this with any regularity every trip to the red zone would produce a TD. Generally WRs must adjust to the ball, even those thrown by Brady, Manning, Palmer, etc.

NEM said:
I think one might be Wilson, but the other wont be Hobbs. Probably Asante. Maybe Gay. But not Hobbs. He will be eaten up alive, because of his height, as a starter at corner. Much better as a nickel.

Yes, Hobbs is just so much shorter than Ty Law. Less than 2 inches. And Hobbs is the same height as Ty Poole.

But, Hobbs is going to get eaten up because of his height. Though Hobbs has something like a 42" vertical.

rookBoston said:

Its very easy to argue with that. Its called Tebucky stinks as a FS and Belichick pulled the wool over the eyes of the Saints in the trade. Tebucky is a good gunner and thats it, really. I don't believe for a second that BB brough Jones back to be anything but a special teams player.

Tebucky Jones will not start over Hawkins or Sanders or either Scott's. He is here for special teams. If Harrison is on the field for day one he will either be lined up next to Wilson or Hawkins..Sanders is an outside shot.

The more I think about it the more I am starting to really love the idea of Wilson\Hobbs at corner and Harrison\Hawkins at safety.

^your really wrong then because Jones was said to play OLB in nickel situations and such

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News