PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Logan Ryan vs. all other Rookie DBs

Status
Not open for further replies.
The future seems brighter with all of these draft picks McCourty, Ryan, Harmon, Dennard and maybe even Tavon Wilson... however the second year in the NFL seems to be key for CB's.

I also really like Talib, but I do not like him when he looses focus or control... then he comes off as a street punk. Think his hip needs to be medically assessed before signing him to a deal.

James Christensen ‏@NEPatriotsDraft 2h
According to @PFF, quarterbacks have a 52.8 rating throwing in Logan Ryan's direction. That trails only Seattle's Richard Sherman

So that's:
5 picks
10 pass defenses
1.5 sacks
1 TD
1 forced fumble
2nd lowest QB rating when passed against in the league
http://www.nfl.com/player/loganryan/2540162/profile stats from there.

Legit DROTY contender surely?

According to @PFF, quarterbacks have a 52.8 rating throwing in Logan Ryan's direction. That trails only Seattle's Richard Sherman

So that's:
5 picks
10 pass defenses
1.5 sacks
1 TD
1 forced fumble
Logan Ryan, CB for the New England Patriots at NFL.com stats from there.

I must be living in a cave. He didn't seem to be getting burned or having any Duane Starks moments. Seemed to be around the ball a lot but not a lot of glam or flash...

Didn't realize he was being THIS productive. WOW.

So that's:
5 picks
10 pass defenses
1.5 sacks
1 TD
1 forced fumble
http://www.nfl.com/player/loganryan/2540162/profile stats from there.

Seems like we have a legit secondary finally. Mccourty, Gregory, talib, Arrington, dennard, and Ryan have been a sight for sore eyes waiting for a competent secondary. Get them healthy for the playoffs.

So that's:
5 picks
10 pass defenses
1 TD
1 forced fumble

15 pass defenses and 1.5 sacks

So that's:
5 picks
10 pass defenses
1.5 sacks
1 TD
1 forced fumble

And that's with only playing 49.3% of the snaps this year. Now obviously if he played more the QB rating and TD against might be up. But it also means the INT, PD, FF, and Sacks could be up too.

But Legit DROTY? I just think his playing time works against him.

Well if Talib does leave, Ryan/Dennard on the outside with Arrington in the slot would still be formidable. However, we would have our old CB height problem of years past with Asante/Hobbs though.

Unfortunately, I can see this being enough for Bill to let Talib go

I really hope we franchise him though

These stats show an even better perspective of how effective Ryan has been.

On the season, Ryan has allowed 22 catches on 47 targets for 278 yards and three touchdowns with five interceptions. His completion percentage against is 46.8, his quarterback rating against is 47.4 and he is allowing just 5.9 yards per attempt.

What is insane here is that of the 24 incompletions, hes gotten a hand on 62% of them. WOW.

Read more at: Logan Ryan Draws Praise From Bill Belichick for Ball Skills, Awareness After Two-Interception Game | New England Patriots | NESN.com

Ryan has the best ball instincts we've seen in a rookie since Law. Samuel developed them but wasn't as good as a rookie. Hopefully he continues to develop and keeps a level head. The crotch grab and things like that aren't needed.

Regarding Talib it's a matter of cost. If he's willing to take a good but not over the top deal that has incentives to pay him at an elite level should he stay healthy I think they'll keep him. If he's looking for a top dollar offer with lots of guaranteed money and a lot of years it's not happening. With his injury history the risk\reward ratio just doesn't add up.

No on Talib leaving.
As the Secondary Injury History from THE LAST FIVE YEARS shows

YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH GOOD DBs/Ss.

IMO it is more a question of cap distribution across the 'allocation by position'. Not necessarily how much for any one player. With the VERY low-wage youth workers (Dennard/Harmon), the overall DB/S position is not hit that heavy (except for Arrington - which some have an issue w/ his $, but I think his coverage on the slot is worth that).

Therefore there is an opportunity within the position to hold onto Talib for a 2-3-4 year contract that is potentially severable by Pats after 1 or 2 years without a real bad cap hit. After all, back in the day they paid ty law. Only wild-card (IMO) is his health. At end of this year, if he hasn't stayed on field enough and BB thinks he wont get past this hip-thing in long term; then he
probably wont still be w/ Pats next year. But I am optimistic (always am with binkys)

Any CB corps that includes Marquis Cole, needs to retain others and draft at least 1 CB...

Unfortunately, I can see this being enough for Bill to let Talib go

I really hope we franchise him though

You honestly really want to franchise Talib? I'd love to see him stay for a reasonable and fair deal, but I definitely don't want to see us pay 10+ million guaranteed dollars to do so.

The team just doesn't have the cap room to pay 10+ million guaranteed to a player who annually misses 20% of every single season over his 6 year career.

I think that would be a horrible move on Belichick's part, and I personally think the odds of that happening are very low, although you certainly may be correct and me wrong. We are currently around 4-5-6 million under the cap (approximately), have a TON of our own players to sign in the next 14 months, and are already hard pressed when it comes to having resources to obtain any kind of higher profile player from another team. If Talib reaches a longer term deal where the cap hit could be 4-5 million this year (tops), that's great, but if it's going to cost 10+ million dollars that's a totally different story altogether.

Ryan has the best ball instincts we've seen in a rookie since Law. Samuel developed them but wasn't as good as a rookie. Hopefully he continues to develop and keeps a level head. The crotch grab and things like that aren't needed.

Regarding Talib it's a matter of cost. If he's willing to take a good but not over the top deal that has incentives to pay him at an elite level should he stay healthy I think they'll keep him. If he's looking for a top dollar offer with lots of guaranteed money and a lot of years it's not happening. With his injury history the risk\reward ratio just doesn't add up.

I wasn't a big fan of the crotch grab either, but if there is one position where I want my player being overly ****y, its at corner.

Here's hoping Ryan continues to grow, and we sign Talib and McCourty to good deals. Our secondary is defently a strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Back