12 John Cyprien JAC SS 98 81 17 1.0 -- 4 1 0 27 27 2 -- --
12 Matt Elam BAL FS 67 47 20 0.0 -- 4 1 0 18 18 0 2 0
12 D.J. Hayden OAK CB 26 23 3 0.0 -- 3 1 0 0 0 1 -- --
12 Jeff Heath DAL SS 55 42 13 0.0 0 4 1 0 0 0 1 1 1
12 T.J. McDonald STL SS 48 41 7 1.0 -- 5 1 0 -2 -2 0 -- --
12 Dee Milliner NYJ CB 52 41 11 0.0 -- 13 1 0 19 19 0 -- --
12 Nickell Robey BUF DB 38 29 9 3.0 0 11 1 1 19 19T 1 1 0

NFL Stats: by Player Position

Logan Ryan has the most interceptions (5) and the 3rd most passes defended (15) of any rookie DB in the NFL.

So who would you rather have right now on our team.....Ryan or 1st Rounders Millner, Hayden, or Rhodes?

Also, not too shabby that Harmon makes the list tied for 6th most interceptions.

Stat sheet doesn't show the biggest thing about Ryan to me - the guy is rarely burned. Most of the time if the pass is completed he appears to be in the right place and right time.

Honestly I'm thinking that his play and Dennard's situation being resolved is going to result in Talib getting his big payday elsewhere with those dollars going towards resigning Julian.

He was a pick that a lot of people hated on but the guy has become my favorite of all the rookies.

Stat sheet doesn't show the biggest thing about Ryan to me - the guy is rarely burned. Most of the time if the pass is completed he appears to be in the right place and right time.

Honestly I'm thinking that his play and Dennard's situation being resolved is going to result in Talib getting his big payday elsewhere with those dollars going towards resigning Julian.

He was a pick that a lot of people hated on but the guy has become my favorite of all the rookies.

Nooooooooo! We need to keep Talib, definitely.

Yes ... so far Logan's brain is a step ahead of many rookies and even a few QB's. But ... as he gets better and there's more film on him the weaknesses get exposed ... so for me I enjoy watching him play for now ... I'll leave it at that for now and hope his career is an upward slope and not a sine wave.

Last edited:

Talib has to be kept IMO. It's harder to find a true #1 CB than it is to find Brady another weapon.

Don´t overlook Saints SS Kenny Vaccaro!

From my POV he´s the best DB Rookie. Now, he´s done for the saison, but he has the most impact.

Don´t overlook Saints SS Kenny Vaccaro!

From my POV he´s the best DB Rookie. Now, he´s done for the saison, but he has the most impact.

Impact does count for a lot ... ryan has performed well but I don't quite think impact is his game just yet ... but I like what I see so far ... it was a very good draft for Bill ... a number of lunch pail types like Ryan and Collins and Dobson and Boyce ... not to mention the FA's.

he's pretty solid in man coverage, but what I like most about him is he seems to have good instincts.

Whenever I hear his name it seems like he is making a play whether its a pass breakup or causing a turnover. I havent really noticed him get beat yet either. usually he is in stride with his man

for all the media blowhards going on about how bill cant draft DB's, hes actually done pretty well lately...Mccourty, Dennard, Ryan, Harmon the past few years..

Ryan/Harmon look like players here. so far this seems to have been a good draft for bill. Ryan, Harmon, Dobson, Boyce, Collins.....then you add in FA's like Thompkins, Chris Jones

And most of the dudes on that list are full-time players, many have been starting from day one. Ryan has been part-time and if you pro-rated his stats over the number of snaps he's played they'd look spectacular compared to the rest.

Imagine if we got Marcus Cooper off waivers as well

I know we tried

the only thing that is more impressive is chris jones being 2nd in tackles and sacks

Imagine if we got Marcus Cooper off waivers as well

I know we tried

And people questioned Belichick about the whole Rutgers defensive backfield fascination.

Stats can be misleading (Arrington, T. Wilson) but I noticed Ryan earlier in the season as very confident and aggressive, regardless of his combine numbers or whatever. Reminds me of Ty Law as far as confidence and controlling what's in front of him.

Not saying he's Ty Law talented, necessarily.

Stats can be misleading (Arrington, T. Wilson) but I noticed Ryan earlier in the season as very confident and aggressive, regardless of his combine numbers or whatever. Reminds me of Ty Law as far as confidence and controlling what's in front of him.

Not saying he's Ty Law talented, necessarily.

Right.

I think that what we're seeing out of L.Ryan is an obvious positive for sure. He looks to be ahead of any rookie curve that normally occurs, and has made the transition very nicely.

That said, we've seen years and numbers like Tavon Wilson's 6 turnovers last year, along with Arrington's 7 INT's a few years ago; and as you said, there wasn't exactly a huge relation to how they play(ed) on the field, even though I think Arrington is a fine choice at the star position.

I'm going to hold off on the numbers due to Ryan getting some good breaks so far and still needing obvious improvement in certain areas. I don't necessarily totally agree with those who claim they've never seen him out of coverage, etc. He's definitely missed assignments and gotten burned just like any other CB, especially rookie CBs, but I think he's surely on the right track and has had some good improvements as the year has moved on.

The 15 pass breakups are huge to me, much more than the 5 INT's. Our CB situation is looking much better than it has in awhile, and keeping Talib isn't etched in stone. I'd still like to see another high 1-3 round secondary pick in the spring depending on whether or not Talib is kept vs our safety need.

the only thing that is more impressive is chris jones being 2nd in tackles and sacks

This particular situation is one of those prime examples which may not equate to taking much from it. Chris Jones is seeing a ton of time due to being forced, and certainly has some very glaring flaws. It's great to see him making plays from time to time though, and I'm sure he'll have the opportunity to play in a rotational role next year, but I highly doubt he'll be starting here as a DT.

No on Talib leaving.
As the Secondary Injury History from THE LAST FIVE YEARS shows

YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH GOOD DBs/Ss.

IMO it is more a question of cap distribution across the 'allocation by position'. Not necessarily how much for any one player. With the VERY low-wage youth workers (Dennard/Harmon), the overall DB/S position is not hit that heavy (except for Arrington - which some have an issue w/ his $, but I think his coverage on the slot is worth that).

Therefore there is an opportunity within the position to hold onto Talib for a 2-3-4 year contract that is potentially severable by Pats after 1 or 2 years without a real bad cap hit. After all, back in the day they paid ty law. Only wild-card (IMO) is his health. At end of this year, if he hasn't stayed on field enough and BB thinks he wont get past this hip-thing in long term; then he
probably wont still be w/ Pats next year. But I am optimistic (always am with binkys)

More context would be great, like number of defensive snaps and YAC for receivers he's covered (though obviously a bit misleading, but you figure it evens out).

Still, he's certainly a player that has stepped up this year to help out our decimated defense.

No on Talib leaving.
As the Secondary Injury History from THE LAST FIVE YEARS shows

YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH GOOD DBs/Ss.

IMO it is more a question of cap distribution across the 'allocation by position'. Not necessarily how much for any one player. With the VERY low-wage youth workers (Dennard/Harmon), the overall DB/S position is not hit that heavy (except for Arrington - which some have an issue w/ his $, but I think his coverage on the slot is worth that).

Therefore there is an opportunity within the position to hold onto Talib for a 2-3-4 year contract that is potentially severable by Pats after 1 or 2 years without a real bad cap hit. After all, back in the day they paid ty law. Only wild-card (IMO) is his health. At end of this year, if he hasn't stayed on field enough and BB thinks he wont get past this hip-thing in long term; then he
probably wont still be w/ Pats next year. But I am optimistic (always am with binkys)

I would think that a deal much similar to that of Leigh Bodden from 2009 would be reasonable. I believe it was something in the range of 4/22 or so.

That's 5.5 million AAV with guaranteed money on a longer term, 4 yr deal. If he's going to want anything more than that, I think we're getting into a zone where there's a decent chance that he may price himself out of Belichick's value area.

Lots of free agents in the next 14 months or so to try and lock up, and that's just from our own team and not even bringing outside FA's into account. We still have to do something with McCourty too, so my only concern is that Belichick may not want to go too deep into the bank with 2/4 secondary players.

I think 4/22 with about 10 million is reasonable and fair, considering his chronic hip injury of 3-4 yrs in a row, and the fact that he has historically missed about 20% of each season when you total all of his games up. He has also never finished out a year in the end out of his previous 5, so he has that opportunity this season for the first time ever.

More context would be great, like number of defensive snaps and YAC for receivers he's covered (though obviously a bit misleading, but you figure it evens out).

Still, he's certainly a player that has stepped up this year to help out our decimated defense.

Good point.

I think the recent draft selections of McCourty, Dennard, and Ryan have really been good to see, as it balances out our misses a bit more. If Harmon is able to pan out and progress, that'd be even better.

I still think we definitely need to select a top round 1-3 secondary player in the draft this spring though, whether it's at CB or S--depending on Talib's situation, along with maybe Gregory too.

the pats may just let Aqib Talib walk in the offseason because of the way Ryan has played as a rookie

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back