PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lee Smith and Alge Crumpler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solder...why all this Cap talk? Aren't the Pats comfortably UNDER the cap?

BTW, Exactly what IS the new cap figure when they sign the new CBA?

Sounds like a red herring to me :p

Unfortunately the cap WILL be an unexpected hazard that not many have even considered yet. The 2009 cap was 127,995,000 and the last known offer to the NFLPA was 114,000,000 although the rumor is that it will be set at is 120,000,000.

Currently MIGUEL has the pats at 113,673,458 with 75 signed or tendered players, this does not include Page and any new signings, and all rookies are listed as the min. of 330,000 which will definitely chanch upward. So with only 6 mill to play with and signing the rookies,Page, and any of the HIGH priced FA everyone thinks we should go out and get, not counting the fact that the team has always maintained @ 2 mill leverage room in case of an emergency signing due to injury, their may be some cap casuralties. You must look at total cap charge not just salary. Some possibilities are Crumpler at 3,008,120, Sanders at 3,508,120, Kaczur at 4,383,120, TBC at 4,508,120, Koppen at 5,008,120, or even Welker at 4,483,120.

If you expect the high priced FA signings where do you make the cuts to find the room on the cap. Who can be replaced with less expensive options? Where has the depth gone beyond afordability?

Edelman is a cheap Welker clone and you save very little with Edelmans release. Sanders although effective is very expensive for a backup. Koppen who may be in his last year has been lacking in starter ability the last couple years and at over 5 mill. is very expensive. Kaczur at over 4 Mill for an OL backup is expensive BUT this year with us haveing to break in two rookies he may have the team by the short hairs. TBC did not preform at over 4.5 Mill worth last yeat. And Crumpler as a Fourth TE with Two star TE ahead of him and his replacement on the team behind him is an expensive insurance policy.

So if you have to clear 6 Mill from the roster who goes?

Last edited:
That is likely closer to the truth than Alge getting cut.....especially having a rookie protecting Brady's blindside.....

I hope Lee works out and becomes a stud...but I must be from Missouri :D

No one had a problem when Vollmer filled in for Light his rookie year and no Crump then. Who has the higher upside Soldier or Vollemer?

Some possibilities are Crumpler at 3,008,120, Sanders at 3,508,120, Kaczur at 4,383,120, TBC at 4,508,120, Koppen at 5,008,120, or even Welker at 4,483,120.

Remember, though, that the issue is cap savings, not cap hits, when cutting players.

In terms of actual savings, the numbers are (approx.):
Kaczur: $3M
Koppen, Sanders: $2.5M
Welker, TBC: $2M

Of course, if they sign Mankins long-term to a deal worth, say, $40M/5 years, that'd still likely be a good $2M or so less than the current it of $10M.

Remember, though, that the issue is cap savings, not cap hits, when cutting players.

In terms of actual savings, the numbers are (approx.):
Kaczur: $3M
Koppen, Sanders: $2.5M
Welker, TBC: $2M

Of course, if they sign Mankins long-term to a deal worth, say, $40M/5 years, that'd still likely be a good $2M or so less than the current it of $10M.

Good point. You neglected to include

Crumpler $2 M

How much do you want to bet that IF Mankins reaches agreement on a contract it will not start till after the FT year is over, just like when the Pats insisted Mankins play under his RFA tender before the last contract attempt would take effect.

Good point. You neglected to include

Crumpler $2 M

How much do you want to bet that IF Mankins reaches agreement on a contract it will not start till after the FT year is over, just like when the Pats insisted Mankins play under his RFA tender before the last contract attempt would take effect.

I'd bet zero on that.

He probably gets paid more in 2011 (including a signing bonus) with a lower cap hit if he signs now rather than plays under the tag. If they reach a deal it's better for both parties if it's effective right away rather than in 2012.

You're hilarious. What part of "they don't make a stat for that" don't you understand?

Games played and Games started would be awesome numbers to hang your hat on. If the guy is replacable, why'd he play so much?

Games played and Games started would be awesome numbers to hang your hat on. If the guy is replacable, why'd he play so much?

Games started, not so much.

But this stat is rather useful. . . .

OPEN YOUR EYES it is the BEST OPTION. Save Cap and usher in a cheap sucessor to take over for years to come. It is NOT lousy... you cling on to a player who will not return. The time has come for a Blocking TE regime change. Crump needs to go and make way for the FUTURE; a period of time he will NOT be apart of:)

You have the Lousy Logic not me. :)
How many years do you expect a 5th round pick who is the 3rd TE to last, and how much of a contribution do you expect?
Crumpler is better. We need the better player on the field. If Smith beats him out as a better player, keep him. If he does not, then he can come back to camp next year.

Two reasons, at the time he was signed we had no TE's on the roster and we had two rookie TE's to break in. We were very luck that both rookies surpassed their teachers in ability.

But more important was the fact that Kaczur was hurt in training camp, Mankins was destoned to hold out for half a year, Niel was constantly hurt and looking to retire. This kept us with basicly Connolly, Wendell, and Levoir. Also all our thirtysomething RB's were hurting or basicly done. SO Crumpler was basicly an extra lineman or blocker (FB). This situatin no longer exists, We have two exceptional TE's on the roster with one promising rookie with the exact skillset as Crump, We also have a totaly revamped lineup of RB's one fully suited to play the role of FB not to mention Arons ability to play the role of the lead blocker.

That is why he got so many snap's and why he no longer is a neccisity. Not to mention he probibly will make more cash than the 4 RB's and 3 TE's combined.

Last edited:
Two reasons, at the time he was signed we had no TE's on the roster and we had two rookie TE's to break in. We were very luck that both rookies surpassed their teachers in ability.

But more important was the fact that Kaczur was hurt in training camp, Mankins was destoned to hold out for half a year, Niel was constantly hurt and looking to retire. This kept us with basicly Connolly, Wendell, and Levoir. Also all our thirtysomething RB's were hurting or basicly done. SO Crumpler was basicly an extra lineman or blocker (FB). This situatin no longer exists, We have two exceptional TE's on the roster with one promising rookie with the exact skillset as Crump, We also have a totaly revamped lineup of RB's one fully suited to play the role of FB not to mention Arons ability to play the role of the lead blocker.

That is why he got so many snap's and why he no longer is a neccisity. Not to mention he probibly will make more cash than the 4 RB's and 3 TE's combined.
How does what the circumstances were when he was signed have anything to do with how many snaps he played during the season?
Why would you figure this will be the first year that a blocking TE is not an important piece to BB?
Are you seriously giving Hernandez as a BLOCKER as a reason we don't need another good blocking TE? Really?
Finally, if everything you are saying is correct, then we wouldn't need Smith either would we?

I would LOVE 4 TE's

it however seems unlikely:(

OLD man Crump can be kept if we keep 4. If it comes fown to 3... Then the old injured man better be gone:cool:

I would LOVE 4 TE's

it however seems unlikely:(

OLD man Crump can be kept if we keep 4. If it comes fown to 3... Then the old injured man better be gone:cool:

Injured? Crumpler hasn't missed a game in 2 years, and has never played fewer than 14 games in a season. He's pretty much the model of durability. Hernandez and Gronk have more pressing health issues than Crump does.

Last edited:
Injured? Crumpler hasn't missed a game in 2 years, and has never played fewer than 14 games in a season. He's pretty much the model of durability. Hernandez and Gronk have more pressing health issues than Crump does.

@MikeReiss
Mike Reiss
Rob Gronkowski had health-related questions coming out of the draft (back injury). Notable that he didn't miss a practice or game this year.

If GRONK shows up at your door unexpectedly, I advise running away pronto. :D

Twitter

Last edited:

no no no... The OLD man had shoulder surgery.

Hernandez hurt his hip---- probably some big contusion in the hip bone and or muscles. Hernandez will be at 125% come TC... I bet he is fine now:)
Gronk had Back surgery----> played the entire year both practice and in games he missed nothing.

YOUTH is the answer. Maybe we can PUP that SOB Crump and he can coach him up and be a "LEADER". I hate that leader bullspit. It is crap and Leaders are made w/ young players and their experiences

Last edited:
no no no... The OLD man had shoulder surgery.

Hernandez hurt his hip---- probably some big contusion in the hip bone and or muscles. Hernandez will be at 125% come TC... I bet he is fine now:)
Gronk had Back surgery----> played the entire year both practice and in games he missed nothing.

YOUTH is the answer. Maybe we can PUP that SOB Crump and he can coach him up and be a "LEADER". I hate that leader bullspit. It is crap and Leaders are made w/ young players and their experiences
Given that qualification Crumpler will be fine and shouldn't miss any games.

Since 2001 Crumpler's lowest games played total is 14/14 in 2004 and lowest games started is 9/16 in 2002. During his regular season career Crumpler has played 155 of a possible 160 games starting in 132 of those.

Durability it seems is not an issue with his Old Balls.

Last edited:
Crumps OLD BALLS is **** BLOCKING the young pool boy who the milfs want to screw. Those ladies get the OldBalls issue:)

time to make way for the future. Crump is not in our great FUTURE plans:cool:

Last edited:
Should rename this thread "old balls vs. new balls" ........

Crump has tough old NFL balls.....

Smith's NFL ball's haven't even dropped yet :eek:

@MikeReiss
Mike Reiss
Rob Gronkowski had health-related questions coming out of the draft (back injury). Notable that he didn't miss a practice or game this year.

If GRONK shows up at your door unexpectedly, I advise running away pronto. :D

Twitter

I'm referring to the back injury that caused him to miss his entire last season of college. That's more of an "injury history" than Crump has. Which, in essence, means that neither one of them had any durability issues to speak of last year.

Crumps OLD BALLS is **** BLOCKING the young pool boy who the milfs want to screw. Those ladies get the OldBalls issue:)

time to make way for the future. Crump is not in our great FUTURE plans:cool:

You want to **** Lee Smith? Well that explains it, I guess :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back