PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

League admits to using incorrect rules during SB

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
So the league knowingly messed with the integrity of the game and fixed an outcome?

Time to call Ted Wells....for real this time.

Jokes aside, this is a big deal. The league purposely effected an outcome of a championship game by choosing not to adhere to it’s own rules.

If that’s not a scandal, I don’t know what is.

Pats defense was horrendous, no excuses they lost. Move on and get ready for this upcoming season.
I don't feel like that can be the answer to something of this magnitude.

Interesting that Mortensen is the go to expert on legislating new rules on the fly.

Pats defense was horrendous, no excuses they lost. Move on and get ready for this upcoming season.
Yes, but do you notice nobody is talking about how bad the Eagles D was up until Graham got a strip sack on Brady because they won the game? Also, if the Pats D played just a little bit better and they won the game, the Malcolm Butler benching wouldn't be as big as it is.

Yes, the Pats D was horrible but that doesn't mean they should get screwed out of calls that would've helped them out. The Eagles also had to rely on the refs for the benefit of the doubt on both touchdown calls and the illegal formation on the trick play.

And what's the first thing we say when other team's fans whine about calls?
"Get a damn stop" sound familiar?
The Eagles won because as a team they made fewer mistakes, on the field and the sideline. That's football.

Oh well. Stuff happens. How about stop the Eagles so it doesn't come down to a foot being down within 4 millimeters in bounds or a bobbled catch retaining possession for .000000000007 seconds too long. Whatever. The Lombardi isn't being handed back to us.

Can't beat em? Then change the rules til you can has been the motto of the NFL since poolian was running the clots.

So this info is hardly new and hardly news to us all. It's been going on for over a decade now.

...but...if...wouldn't...if...wouldn't

tenor.gif

It certainly does suck, but nothing is going to erase the loss. Watch the league backtrack on this, tomorrow. They’ll claim that Riveron’s comments were taken out of context or something.

Well, I mean, if the league interpreted their own rules incorrectly and called something that should have been an incomplete pass, a touchdown, that seems like a very legitimate issue, and certainly a potential excuse for losing if I've ever heard one.

Yes, the Pats' defense struggled, but their offense played very well; the Eagles' defense also struggled mightily. The idea that the Eagles deserved to win more than the Pats, or that the Pats *didn't* deserve to win seems silly to me.

While I think the Eagles were deserving winners, I don't think that the Patriots were deserving losers, or would've been undeserving winners had that been the outcome. A team not playing particularly well in one aspect of the game should not excuse poor officiating, and the latter absolutely can/should be considered when evaluating the outcome of the game. With that said the game is in fact over and I've made the decision to move on, it's unhealthy to dwell for too long.

I guess it was a double-secret rule change. The Pats D played very badly, but that is just out and out BS. The constant shifting of the rules makes the game a joke. Doing on the eve of the SB and not making it known makes it crooked.

The problem I have with it is they were rule changes to rules that went in favor of the Pats in the season and were being talked about days after as "refs being in the Pats pocket"

Also give me a f**cking break with "Defense should have been better". Yes we know. But that narrative ignores how good the offense played.

The problem I have with it is they were rule changes to rules that went in favor of the Pats in the season and were being talked about days after as "refs being in the Pats pocket"

Also give me a f**cking break with "Defense should have been better". Yes we know. But that narrative ignores how good the offense played.
The main two issues I have with it are:

1) Would the same rules have been applied if it was New England who had the controversial touchdowns? I doubt it.

2) Non-catches like the Jesse James play are now suddenly going to be completions. That’s going to make every subjective ruling a circus atmosphere throughout the season.

That’s going to make every subjective ruling a circus atmosphere throughout the season.

They solved nothing but just shifted the feeling of getting screwed to the defense. Which is their MO.. whatever leads to more scores will be approved. I dont see anything wrong with the rules as they were.. it should only be a catch if you hang on to the ball, period.

They solved nothing but just shifted the feeling of getting screwed to the defense. Which is their MO.. whatever leads to more scores will be approved. I dont see anything wrong with the rules as they were.. it should only be a catch if you hang on to the ball, period.
I had no problem with the old rule, as well. The issue is that they didn’t apply it correctly at times, and now like you said, that’s just going to continue in a different manner. You hit the nail on the head by stating that it solved nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Back