PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Last time Brady prepared to fight the Colts, he openly expressed the emotions he feels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul_Survivor88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
....just imagine how much worse it'll be this week, on the Day of Reckoning!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ts-fiery-intensity-afc-championship/21775437/

January 14, 2015

“… The emotional part is a really important part for me and I think that’s always been a part of the way that I play.”

"I need to be emotional out there to play at my highest. I try to rest up all week and I'm actually pretty mellow most of the time, as you guys know. It's just for those three hours on Sunday that you get to let it rip, which is really, I think, when you can be yourself."
– Tom Brady

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Top quarterbacks are often praised for coolness under pressure. New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady can run hot, at times bleeping hot as TV cameras that always follow him have shown.

The three-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback made no apologies for his fiery style, saying he can "balance" that with the demands of running a huddle, as he prepared for Sunday's AFC title game here against theIndianapolis Colts.

"I know that it's an emotional game, and I need to be emotional out there to play at my highest," Brady said at a Wednesday press conference. " … I'm actually pretty mellow most of the time, as you guys know. It's just for those three hours on Sunday that you get to let it rip. … You can be yourself."

Last weekend, Brady got up in anger up after taking a second consecutive sack against the Baltimore Ravens in the divisional round. During the celebration by Ravens lineman Pernell McPhee, his leg came into contact with Brady.

Late in a December loss to the Green Bay Packers, CBS showed Brady angrily stomping the sideline. You couldn't hear his curses, but they were easy to lip read.

In a 2011 game, Brady and former Patriots' offensive coordinator Bill O'Brien had to be separated on the sideline after an interception. They later hugged after a Patriots interception sealed a win. Brady said it was "just part of the game."

Teammates know the fire in Brady's game.

"He passionate and he's furious sometimes out there," Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski said. " … It shows that he loves the game. … It gets everyone fired up, and it's awesome to see him all amped up."

Not that Gronkowski expects to be barked at by Brady if he drops a pass.

"He knows mistakes happen. But if it keeps happening, he's going to get on your case. If you correct it and you improve, he likes to see that," Gronkowski said.

Wide receiver Danny Amendola said, "He has a great ability to lift the players around him. … He gets mad for a reason. Usually if he gets mad, something didn't go right. But we try to fix it before he gets that way."

Does it concern Brady that while he might play with the emotion of a linebacker he also has to stay composed and run the show?

"I kind of always can find a way to bring it back to balance, however I need to," said Brady. " … I don't ever lose track of plays or things I need to do to help coordinate our offense when we're on the field.

"But I think the emotional part is a really important part for me. And I think that that's always been a part of the way that I play."

John Kirby will attest to Brady's ability to find that balance. In the fall of 1994, Kirby was Brady's favorite receiver when they were seniors at Junipero Serra High School in San Mateo, Calif. Brady was called Tommy then.

"I remember him being real fiery, but then also being our leader," said Kirby, now assistant athletic director at the high school.

"I think it was a bunch of years since we had beaten Bellarmine (College Preparatory), and then finally we were driving down the field. I can remember Tom being all calm and saying, 'Cmon boys, we can get this.'"

Mission accomplished.

"There was also that same cool, collected side you see now, especially in moments of pressure," said Kirby. "One of the things I love the most about Tommy is he's exactly the same person he was in high school you see on TV now. Nothing has changed about him at all."

Brady said he is "mellow" most of the time. But is there a revving up process for him emotionally during the week?

"That's a good question. My wife (model Gisele Bundchen) asks the same thing. She's, 'What's your problem?'" said Brady. "I get pretty edgy."

This week, that buildup began Sunday as he watched the playoff games on TV.

[.....]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk