PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Last minute emergency QB rule change

raduray

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Goodell sticking it to the Patriots again?

More blatant anti-Patriot Goodell BS. Some owners were obviously complaining that BB was rooking the system.

Yes, Belichick pointed out a flaw in the rule, and the league responded.

So, perhaps the patriots may need to make a move with one of their 11 OL's or with Speed.

The Titans complained… I’d bet my right nut.

Panthers or Eagles maybe?
Either way can the NFL change the rule at a drop of a hat like that?
That doesn’t seem fair or legitimate.

Now if the Pats cut Zappe or try to expose Corral to waivers someone will def claim either of them.
I think if Mac goes down we are screwed so might as well keep Corral number 2

So, maybe I'm missing something, but this doesn't seem to change anything as far as the Pats are concerned? It says that the first two QBs must be selected from "the 48 player game day roster", which a practice squad elevated QB would be a part of.

It says 53 man roster which to me indicates that a PS QB can not be elevated without exposing another player to waivers.

So to simplify: a player must have inactive gameday status to qualify for emergency #3 designation.

Read it again and now see in the "Q&A" memo that it says the "QB2" must be on the 53 man roster. But I find that odd, because it's not in the actual rule itself.

I didn't think this was a change, since I saw it talked about before.

Teams definitely cried about our roster tinkering.

So now you can't elevate a QB from the ps.

So now you can't elevate a QB from the ps.
Not to your 2 but to your 3?
What if you elevate a QB from the PS to the 3rd string and after a snap or series decide to rotate QBS?

I don’t see how you could avoid that.

Read it again and now see in the "Q&A" memo that it says the "QB2" must be on the 53 man roster. But I find that odd, because it's not in the actual rule itself.
The actual text of a rule means nothing at 345 Park Ave. Compare the actual text of the rule re filming sidelines vs the NYJFL "interpretation". Never mind the actual laws of physics. SpongeBob takes it in the Squarepants again and the other 31 have a guffaw and a whiskey and slap Goodell on the back.

So essentially we’re being punished for knowing the rule.

Any league that was properly run would tell all teams to table any changes until next offseasons rules meetings. Not change things days prior to the season start date. But I’d expect nothing less from the NYFL.

Not to your 2 but to your 3?
What if you elevate a QB from the PS to the 3rd string and after a snap or series decide to rotate QBS?

I don’t see how you could avoid that.
If they elevate a PS QB and have all 3 QBs on the active gameday list, they can play them however they like. They just won't get the roster spot benefit from having one of them be the "emergency 3rd QB."

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back