PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Larry Ridley: Zach Thomas visiting Pats on Sunday [UPDATE: Reiss: It's Monday]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Larry Ridley: Zach Thomas visiting Pats on Sunday

This guy is a warrior and if BB brings him aboard he must have a role for him. If we sign him I'll be excited to watch him in a Pats uniform.

Is it safe to presume that Zach will compete for a LB spot and not just special teams?

Are we also safe to presume that Adalius will like this move? :cool:

Thomas would be a no brainer for cheap money.

I don't think we will be in a position where we will need to rely on him. I think the Pats will pick up a younger LB but also have Thomas in a support role.

Here's hoping this comes to fruition. BB's gotten quite a bit out of Seau, I'm sure he'll be able to get as much or more from Thomas.

I'm baffled how this helps us.

Because if he's healthy it's an upgrade over what we have now, especially if Bruschi and/or Seau leave, and it does not prevent the Pats from bringing in youngsters too. Don't they effectively mix vets with youngsters almost every year?

If you're saying Thomas just won't be good in the Pats system, I'm really not sure.

Doesn't everyone realize we went 9 straight quarters in the playoffs without allowing a TD? 2nd quarter JAX to 4th quarter SB between TDs. I don't think the defense is so terrible that we need to blow it up and start over. although I do think 3rd downs have been a big problem.

I think the reason people don't want Thomas is because they think he'd be taking the roster spot of some young stud ILB. The fact of the matter is, this guy's most likely not coming through the draft, and even if he is, what better mentors then Bru, Seau, Thomas. If he signs, I'd assume it's because he's healthy, and then he is a huge addition. He still has a few excellent years left, and could really help out. The guy is very instinctual, and sorts through trash very well despite being slow/undersized. IMO this would be a great move.

On a similar note, the more I think about it I believe the defense has gotten a really bad rap. Does any D that allows 17 or so ppg and even less in the playoffs really need such an overhaul? Not saying I wouldn't love a young LB (I absolutely love Jarod Mayo from Tennessee), but it's not like our veteran guys aren't getting the job done.

i know a lot of people want us to get younger at the position and i think so to. But the LB in our scheme is a primary position which requires a lot of adjustment.
As fans will we accept 2-3 new guys learning the ropes for an yr or 2 and accept that our D could be average to potentially bad in the LB position until the young blood starts to play.
The price we pay for competing every yr is the age factor at some positions i believe.unless we can draft a stud LB right out.

Don't let Z. Thomas leave Gillette without a contract.

I figure that there is room for 8-10 linebackers on the final roster. We don't need more than 7 DL's and 8 DB's.

We have plenty of room for Zack.

LOT OF REPS (5)
Colvin, Vrabel, Thomas, open, open

BACKUPS (2)
Woods, Alexander

SPECIAL TEAMERS/ DEVELOPMENTAL (3) (these positions sometimes taken by safeties)
open, open, Lua

CAMP FODDER
Slaughter

You really think that Thomas is not an upgrade over Lua?

What does Lua have to do with anything? That's like saying he's an upgrade over (fill in a name on the waiver wire).

Because if he's healthy it's an upgrade over what we have now, especially if Bruschi and/or Seau leave, and it does not prevent the Pats from bringing in youngsters too. Don't they effectively mix vets with youngsters almost every year?

If you're saying Thomas just won't be good in the Pats system, I'm really not sure.

Doesn't everyone realize we went 9 straight quarters in the playoffs without allowing a TD? 2nd quarter JAX to 4th quarter SB between TDs. I don't think the defense is so terrible that we need to blow it up and start over. although I do think 3rd downs have been a big problem.

We can't draft college linebackers cause they're too small. He's listed 228.

He plays in a 4-3. We're already pretty stocked on old linebackers. I'm sorry, still baffled.

I'd just as soon draft someone and put them in the lineup with Woods and make them learn while we put Seau and Bruschi on the PUP til mid season.

We can't draft college linebackers cause they're too small. He's listed 228.
I thought we didn't draft them b/c they're not experienced enough to play our system.
He plays in a 4-3. We're already pretty stocked on old linebackers. I'm sorry, still baffled.
I thought he's done well in the 3-4 under Saban.
I'd just as soon draft someone and put them in the lineup with Woods and make them learn while we put Seau and Bruschi on the PUP til mid season.
Couldn't Thomas be more effective than Seau or Bruschi in that same role?

I'm not positive about any of these things, they're just what I've heard/thought.

I'd rather have Jason Talyor

you me and all 31 teams would love to have jason taylor but they will not trade or cut him hes still a 15 puls sack guy

I don't want Zach Thomas for the Pats....

I don't want Zach Thomas for the Pats....

Hard to argue with that!

Can't argue...not with that logic...

I thought he's done well in the 3-4 under Saban.

He played in a 4-3 under Saban. Traylor and Holliday were the DTs.

He played in a 4-3 under Saban. Traylor and Holliday were the DTs.

So he's never played in a 3-4? Maybe he's not as good a fit as I thought. But I still think he could only help.

Edit: it's funny, some sites like http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...oys/stories/021608dnspocowthomas.2f186dd.html state that Saban ran a 3-4. But other sites correct that. I guess the confusion stems from the uniqueness of Saban's 4-3.

Last edited:

old, oft-injured MLB.

games he has played each year:

16 games
5 - last year

Oft-injured isn't accurate. Injured last year is accurate.

The nature of the injury (extended post-concussion syndrome) is of course a MAJOR concern, but saying he is oft-injured implies he has a long history of not playing full seasons.

Okay, someone has to say it some time... There's always the possibility of the switch to the 4-3. The call for "Fresh young legs in the LB corps" is just an annual ritual, so I don't even bother with it any more. "Young" for the Pats is 27-30 at this position. As another poster said, the Pats' LB corps seems to be a veterans only club. Z. Thomas has the skills and smarts to contribute, if not the size and speed to star. Then again, when was the last time anyone "starred" for the Pats other than TFB?

In BB we trust, of course... what's a mad scientist without a few new AND recycled gizmos rattling and twitching around in the lab?

Before we started seeing nothing but crap about our team in the press, this was a great time of year... trying to figure out how the mad scientist was going to bolt everything together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News