PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Landry Jones expected to start for Steelers (Roethlisberger: torn meniscus)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huge advantage for the Pats but disappointing for me, personally. I was looking forward to this game as a true test to see where the defense truly is.

What happened to them vs Miami ? Was that loss directly related to losing Ben ?

I might be in the minority here but I don't think this is such a big break for the Pats. We've typically struggled against QBs that we don't have much tape on and they still have tons of weapons on offense. I don't think it'll be easy.

Also, I'd much rather beat them at full strength. We'll more than likely have to play them in the playoffs and I would like to see how we stack against them at full strength. Big Ben is one tough SOB for coming back into the game and playing on a torn meniscus.

Can't wait to see this game live next weekend!

I agree, look what happened when we played against Brock last year in Denver when we didn't have a lot of film on him. Anything can happen on any given Sunday.

I might be in the minority here but I don't think this is such a big break for the Pats. We've typically struggled against QBs that we don't have much tape on and they still have tons of weapons on offense. I don't think it'll be easy.

Also, I'd much rather beat them at full strength. We'll more than likely have to play them in the playoffs and I would like to see how we stack against them at full strength. Big Ben is one tough SOB for coming back into the game and playing on a torn meniscus.

Can't wait to see this game live next weekend!

**** that noble "I wanna play them at full strength" crap. Are we at full strength ? It's a game of attrition and we have lost a handful of Superbowl trophies / appearances in the last decade just to injuries.

I don't care if I look like an ass but I am happy we get to play a depleted Steelers team and have a bigger margin of error next week. Anything that makes it more likely that the AFCCG is played in Foxboro is good news to me and I am not too embarrassed to admit it.

**** that noble "I wanna play them at full strength" crap. Are we at full strength ? It's a game of attrition and we have lost a handful of Superbowl trophies / appearances in the last decade just to injuries.

I don't care if I look like an ass but I am happy we get to play a depleted Steelers team and have a bigger margin of error next week. Anything that makes it more likely that the AFCCG is played in Foxboro is good news to me and I am not too embarrassed to admit it.

As long as its not being played at Mile High, I am happy.

Co-Eds nationwide rejoice.
Actually just the opposite.. With him being injured, he has more free time to..........stay home and help raise his kids......

This season is about us.
It's not about the Steelers or Bug Ben.
It's not about the Broncos and their vaunted D and quest for repeat.
It's not about the comeback of Andrew Luck.

So get well, Big Ben. You probably were going to lose anyway, but at least now Pittsburgh has an excuse.

I usually take the pessimistic approach, but Ben needed to match Brady to win this game...with him out, Pats should win easily, although it could play out like this past game, close for a while and then the Pats win going away.

I agree, look what happened when we played against Brock last year in Denver when we didn't have a lot of film on him. Anything can happen on any given Sunday.

Except the steelers' defense is swiss cheese.

Obviously a big break for the Pats, and a couple of specific things to consider:

--Sports are weird, and it’s always tricky to get things to happen the same way twice. If the Pats handily beat the Steelers on Sunday with Ben R, when the playoffs roll around and they met again (even in Foxborough), there would be the sense of “oh, another easy victory coming,” which as we all know is dangerous. This way, the Pats win on Sunday, if they meet in the playoffs the talking heads will say, “but Ben’s playing this time!” and the Pats will smoke ‘em again. Perfect.

--Not too early to consider…if the Pats just win Sunday and also beat Denver, the Pats would have to lose at least 3 of their other 8 games for either the Broncos or Steelers to pass them, and that’s assuming Pittsburgh and Denver win out. In other words, the Pats are getting into tremendous position already for the #1 seed.

I dont have pity or get this "no i want to play them at full strength" we lost the #1 seed and lost in the playoffs last year in large part due to injuries. whatever gets us to #1 seed and homefield advantage in the playoffs the better.

because I think we have seen that if we want to get to the superbowl, having homefield advantage is most important

They will be without their HoF QB, of course it's a big break. Sometimes, I really wonder.
Most here said the same thing when the Packers were without their "HoF QB" and Matt friggen Flynn was their backup. How did that turn out?

Last edited:
I thought he was tough. Phillip Rivers would have played.

Huge advantage for the Pats but disappointing for me, personally. I was looking forward to this game as a true test to see where the defense truly is.
Thats exactly what i was thinking. The D has been playing really well, but would have been a nice test vs. one of the best offenses in the league. I think the pats would win even with Ben playing, but would have been a battle. Squealers still have a ton of weapons, but i dont see this being a close game.

I don't feel sorry for them. We've probably missed out on 2 or 3 Super Bowls during this run because of injuries. That's not really my point. My point is that I think many here had this game circled on the calendar since the preseason as a a barometer for how good this defense will be and with Ben out, we won't be as tested. Looking at the schedule and knowing the AFC landscape, I don't think any team will present a tougher matchup until the playoffs. I think there really is an element of being "battle tested" in football and teams that are battle tested seem to be more mentally tough and do better in the playoffs.

Of course there is a positive side to this: if we win this game, the only team that really has a shot at keeping the Pats from the #1 seed is *gasp* the Bills. I very much like our chances to have HFA and ultimately that is the goal; I just wish that we could get HFA while this D proves we can take down a formidable offense.

After what happened to us last year with injuries, and getting robbed of Brady for 4 games this year, I am fine with this gift of Ben being out. These next two games almost decide everything. (of course still need to win most of the rest after, but the way things are lining up right now already look good if we can win BOTH the next two... We cannot lose two to Buffalo)

PS. Also hoping the LOLPHINS can keep it going against the Bills just one time next week. Would be helpful.

Injuries are part of the game. Oh well.

Most here said the same thing when the Packers were without their "HoF QB" and Matt friggen Flynn was their backup. How did that turn out?
I get it. But it's still a huge big deal that a Top 5 QB (possibly Top 2) is out, especially with the connection he has with Brown. Does it guarantee a win? No - especially on the road. But it makes the game far easier.

I'm perfectly happy with him not playing. While the game might be a lot more competitive and fun to each with Ben as well as a good test, I'll certainly take the easier path to victory.

I don't want Rex and the Bills sniffing first place at any point this season. If we get through these next three weeks at 8-1 it is smooth sailing to the #1 seed barring injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes