PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kraft is becoming an embarassment every time he opens his mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Women's hockey has a higher concussion rate than men's football

There are many sports that have concussion rates similar to football
Those sound like Jerry Jones statistics. We all know the Cowboys didn't have a single concussion on their team from 1996 to 2001. Troy Aikman certainly never got concussed. So I'm sure the NFL's self-reported concussion rate is a completely fair, objective and impartial figure.

</sarcasm>

The life lessons you learn from playing football cannot be learned a million other concussion-free ways.

Such as?

Seriously. Life lessons can be gleened from every endeavour, sports is just one of the avenues.

Those sound like Jerry Jones statistics. We all know the Cowboys didn't have a single concussion on their team from 1996 to 2001. Troy Aikman certainly never got concussed. So I'm sure the NFL's self-reported concussion rate is a completely fair, objective and impartial figure.

</sarcasm>

I'm pretty sure Junior Seau never had a concussion.

I'm pretty sure Junior Seau never had a concussion.
Just because someone isn't diagnosed with a concussion doesn't mean they didn't receive one. Junior Seau was a tough bastard who played in the era before concussions became such a big thing. It would not surprise me if he sustained many throughout his career and played through them without consulting the team doctor.

</sarcasm>

Concussions in sport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Injury rate per exposure based on sport in collegiate athletes from 1998 to 2004[15]
Sport Injury rate per 1,000 athletic exposures
Women's ice hockey 0.91
Men's spring football (American) 0.54
Men's ice hockey 0.41
Women's soccer 0.41
Men's football (American) 0.37
Men's soccer 0.28
Men's wrestling 0.25
Men's lacrosse 0.25
Women's lacrosse 0.25
Women's basketball 0.22
Women's field hockey 0.18
Men's basketball 0.16
Women's gymnastics 0.16
Women's softball 0.14
Women's volleyball 0.09
Men's baseball 0.07
All sports 0.28

Hootman J, *** R, and Agel J. Epidemiology of collegiate injuries for 15 sports: Summary and recommendations for injury prevention initiatives. J Athlete Train 42: 311-319, 2007

Study Looks at Concussion Rates Among NCAA Sports

the list in terms of SRC rates was men's wrestling, which reported an overall rate of 10.92 per 10,000 athlete exposures. Next was men's ice hockey at 7.91, followed closely by women's ice hockey at 7.52. Men's football had a 6.71 rate of SRCs, but with an estimated 3,417 SRC incidents annually, it took the position as the sport that produced the most SRCs overall. Research results were published in the American Journal of Sports Medicine in September

Just because someone isn't diagnosed with a concussion doesn't mean they didn't receive one. Junior Seau was a tough bastard who played in the era before concussions became such a big thing. It would not surprise me if he sustained many throughout his career and played through them without consulting the team doctor.

Lol

That's the point.......

Concussions in sport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Injury rate per exposure based on sport in collegiate athletes from 1998 to 2004[15]
Sport Injury rate per 1,000 athletic exposures
Women's ice hockey 0.91
Men's spring football (American) 0.54
Men's ice hockey 0.41
Women's soccer 0.41
Men's football (American) 0.37
Men's soccer 0.28
Men's wrestling 0.25
Men's lacrosse 0.25
Women's lacrosse 0.25
Women's basketball 0.22
Women's field hockey 0.18
Men's basketball 0.16
Women's gymnastics 0.16
Women's softball 0.14
Women's volleyball 0.09
Men's baseball 0.07
All sports 0.28

Statistics based on flawed sample sizes and criteria are worthless.

This was really interesting. I was particularly surprised that women's soccer (with a SRC* of 6.31) was so close to that of men's football (SRC of 6.71), I figured that with football being such a violent sport it wouldn't be close, much less as close as it evidently is. This is a really, really interesting post.

....However, it seems hardly fair to confuse the Forum discussions with facts and scientific analysis :D

*SRC: Sports Related Concussion Rate per 10,000 exposures

This was really interesting. I was particularly surprised that women's soccer (with a SRC* of 6.31) was so close to that of men's football (SRC of 6.71), I figured that with football being such a violent sport it wouldn't be close, much less as close as it evidently is. This is a really, really interesting post.

....However, it seems hardly fair to confuse the Forum discussions with facts and scientific analysis :D

*SRC: Sports Related Concussion Rate per 10,000 exposures

sure.........the people here hating on Kraft are basing their perspective on the same quality of info as the Wells report

Such as?

Seriously. Life lessons can be gleened from every endeavour, sports is just one of the avenues.

My sarcasm didn't translate...that was my point.

</sarcasm>

Maybe they used Jerry Jones as the standard, then most concussion cases probably compare favorably.

Statistics based on flawed sample sizes and criteria are worthless.

The second link from APTA said: "Researchers analyzed statistics from the NCAA Injury Surveillance Program (ISP) and found that between the 2009-2010 and 2013-2014 academic years, the overall SRC rate was 4.47 per 10,000 athlete exposures, or about 10,560 SRCs annually."

I haven't performed a careful analysis of this literature, and I'm not a concussion expert by any means. However, off the top of my head, it would seem that analysis of 10,560 concussions would seem to me to be a fairly decent sample size. And I'm not sure what you mean by the criteria being flawed.

Could you elaborate on why you feel the statistics from this study are worthless, and the sample size and criteria flawed?

sure.........the people here hating on Kraft are basing their perspective on the same quality of info as the Wells report

Bullsh.t. Robert Kraft acknowledged that he f.cked up and apologized for it. Beyond that most of the animosity directed at Kraft is due to his continue support for the very person who is responsible for the attacks on n the Patriots franchise, coach and The GOAT. The truth of the matter is that Jonathan Kraft spoke at length about deflategate and the Patriots response to it, and you started a thread trying to inflame people about his statements and literally no one took issue with them because everyone knows that they had their hands tied and were severely limited in their ability to set things right, however Jonathan didn't make the mistake of trying to tell everyone how awesome Roger Goodell is, so no one was angry at him. His father is a moron for not understanding the depth of the anger at Goodell and for wasting no opportunity to tell everyone how much he loves the scumbag POS Goodell. Go read your own thread and you will see that no one took issue with a Jonathan despite your effort to try and get them to.

The second link from APTA said: "Researchers analyzed statistics from the NCAA Injury Surveillance Program (ISP) and found that between the 2009-2010 and 2013-2014 academic years, the overall SRC rate was 4.47 per 10,000 athlete exposures, or about 10,560 SRCs annually."

I haven't performed a careful analysis of this literature, and I'm not a concussion expert by any means. However, off the top of my head, it would seem that analysis of 10,560 concussions would seem to me to be a fairly decent sample size. And I'm not sure what you mean by the criteria being flawed.

Could you elaborate on why you feel the statistics from this study are worthless, and the sample size and criteria flawed?

Because the sports are seriously flawed in terms of reporting concussions and self reporting is notoriously flawed. I'll go back to the Junior Seau example as there was a player who clearly suffered from repeated concussions and never reported so much as one. I do think that an effort is being made to identify and evaluate concussions on a more systematic basis but the history of it would suggest they are still a long ways off, and the more physical sports will continue to have underreported concussion issues as competitors don't want to come off the field and will always maintain they are good to go.

Bullsh.t. Robert Kraft acknowledged that he f.cked up and apologized for it. Beyond that most of the animosity directed at Kraft is due to his continue support for the very person who is responsible for the attacks on n the Patriots franchise, coach and The GOAT. The truth of the matter is that Jonathan Kraft spoke at length about deflategate and the Patriots response to it, and you started a thread trying to inflame people about his statements and literally no one took issue with them because everyone knows that they had their hands tied and were severely limited in their ability to set things right, however Jonathan didn't make the mistake of trying to tell everyone how awesome Roger Goodell is, so no one was angry at him. His father is a moron for not understanding the depth of the anger at Goodell and for wasting no opportunity to tell everyone how much he loves the scumbag POS Goodell. Go read your own thread and you will see that no one took issue with a Jonathan despite your effort to try and get them to.

easy there, tiger

Kraft did acknowledge he screwed up

and anyone who is not a village idiot knew at that moment that he didn't have any options....which is why he admitted he screwed up

real simple.......the hating is baseless and is only heaped on Kraft because blaming the rest of the NFL owners and commissioner is even more pointless

what did I say about Jonathan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST