PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kraft comments on Patriots are cheap storyline.

And I consider that a good thing. More needs to change than just sending Belichick off. If Kraft’s thin skin will cause him to cave toward the right decisions I’m all for it.
Having thin skin and worrying about perception is never a good trait. It means you're willing to paper over things to keep up appearances.

He should care more about winning. Not what Felger and Mazz think
He was asked a question about it and he answered it. I highly doubt he listens to those two asshats.

As the owner of the brand, you should care about its perception (it's why he has a PR and advertising department) and winning. You can do both.

Why now? Because Lombardi in his fight with Felger let that slip as an excuse for Bill. He said point blank that Belichick was constrained by one of the lowest payrolls in the league. And EVERYONE knows Lombardi speaks for Bill.
I understood Lombardi to be saying something else. He was complimenting Bill's team-building approach as requiring patience. Felger pounced on that part of Lombardi was saying and he made something huge out of it.

I don't find Lombardi to be a good speaker or good with words. He was unclear in that way several times.

For instance, he blamed Mac and he blamed Kosar as being bad QBs. Felger pounced on him again with, "Again you blame the QBs, always the QBs!!!" Of course, as soon as the Browns moved on from Kosar, they went 9-4 with Vinny T., won a playoff game, and Kosar was never seen again. Just because this happened 2x over a 30 year career doesn't make it improbable.

The question is, and it was on talk radio all day yesterday, was it Bill being Frugal or Kraft not letting him spend? Most came down to blaming BB but like the other poster said, we'll know who it was in the next couple of years.

Understood. RK might start spending for a few years, but will pull back over time. It is his nature. It will be interesting if RK spends on FAs OR if he spends on FAs PLUS spreads the cap hit out over future years so he can spend more this year and next. If we signed 3 or 4 defensive FAs we would have a Top 5 defense and can draft 10 to 15 offensive players. But signing 3 or 4 defensive FAs, in addition to our own guys, would be a lot of cash. This situation mirrors 2001/2002 and we could rebuild fast if the cash is spent (we have the cap space plus future cap space) and the right QB is selected.

BB hate is strong. I think it is a political thing after he wrote that letter to Trump.

He was asked a question about it and he answered it. I highly doubt he listens to those two asshats.

As the owner of the brand, you should care about its perception (it's why he has a PR and advertising department) and winning. You can do both.
You don't have to answer every media question.

Nor should you alter team philosophy because the local media is giving you a hard time. His only concern should be winning.

I listened to Breer this morning talking about Vrabel and how Vrabel has an overall philosophy for coaching that is very different than Dan Campbell's. Campbell listens a lot to analytics, even during games, and in general, the Fords are taking a top down structured approach to football, so Breer thinks Vrabel will have difficulty finding a job because he is very strong-willed in his philosophy. Breer then went on to say that so many teams are structuring their teams now in a corporate way by bringing in all sorts of personnel who are operating like consultants, and this is because what the owners really want more than anything is the perception that their team is the most innovative and forward-thinking team out there. They want this more than winning.

Mayo said, "We're ready to burn some cash..."

But that don't mean they'll change the modus operandi.

They have to burn cash to compliant with the players union "cap space' contract. The question is will the cash spend be increased by spreading the cap hits to future years (like using void years).

Understood. RK might start spending for a few years, but will pull back over time. It is his nature. It will be interesting if RK spends on FAs OR if he spends on FAs PLUS spreads the cap hit out over future years so he can spend more this year and next. If we signed 3 or 4 defensive FAs we would have a Top 5 defense and can draft 10 to 15 offensive players. But signing 3 or 4 defensive FAs, in addition to our own guys, would be a lot of cash. This situation mirrors 2001/2002 and we could rebuild fast if the cash is spent (we have the cap space plus future cap space) and the right QB is selected.

BB hate is strong. I think it is a political thing after he wrote that letter to Trump.
Agree with the first paragraph.

I don't want to talk politics, but -- as for the 2nd -- the hate coming from whom? Certainly not local media.

You don't have to answer every media question.

Nor should you alter team philosophy because the local media is giving you a hard time. His only concern should be winning.
Who says he's changing team philosophy because of the local media?

Every football decision was Bill. Money not spent was on Bill. Money spent was on Bill. Kraft played along and was happy with it as long as they were winning. Once Bill's message was no longer carried by leaders in the locker room, it was over. Pretty simple.

I never got the point of this criticism. I've always gotten the impression that the team has both benefited and been hampered by BB's frugal spending. One person's cheap is another person's thrifty.
If it’s working you’re a genius. If its not, you’re just a cheap bastard.

It's not a matter of anyone being frugal.
Yes it is. Spreading out the cap hit and increasing cash spent up front is a conscious decision. Not sure why you don't think it is.
It's a matter of having a team philosophy.

There are 2 philosophies we might be getting rid of here as the Patriots prepare to spend:

1. Do you want to build a strong middle class on the team and to have depth?

2. Do you want to retain 10% of your cap each and every year so that you can dole out hard to earn incentives?
Those two issues are correct but we can still spend future cash dollars or not, which requires greater upfront cash. You are pointing out details without addressing the larger overarching spending decision. Borrowing $50M to $100M from future years does not negate having a strong middle class or incentives.
The real test for Kraft is what happens when the team has a mature roster, when many are being paid decently, when the QB is into his 2nd contract: at that point, the top spending teams guarantee $$$ for great players and they push out the bonuses into future years.
We can do that now. No reason to wait. Look at the defensive FA market - very strong this year. If we wait the perfect scenario may never arrive.
That's where the rubber hits the road. Not now.
Yes now. Ideally the team is good every year, and the team should strike when the FA market is strong. Sign a lot of defensive FA players and draft all offense for 2 years. We will be back in the Championship game if management picks the right QB. Look at the Texans. Waiting around is for losers - literally for losers.

Every football decision was Bill. Money not spent was on Bill. Money spent was on Bill. Kraft played along and was happy with it as long as they were winning. Once Bill's message was no longer carried by leaders in the locker room, it was over. Pretty simple.
And you know the conversations between BB and RK? How is that?

Dude this is not political at all, stop trying to make it that way.

Beyond that I agree with you that it will be interesting to see how the Kraft’s operate on a consistent basis. He could spend big now but pull back later. Well shall see. Robert wasn’t exactly known for being a big spender pre-Belichick.

Agree with the first paragraph.

I don't want to talk politics, but -- as for the 2nd -- the hate coming from whom? Certainly not local media.

I think we agree except you want to wait, no reason to wiat. Spend this years cap and future cap years right now. Draft smart and we will be back in 2024 and 2025 just like the Texans. We only need the right QB.

Dude this is not political at all, stop trying to make it that way.

Beyond that I agree with you that it will be interesting to see how the Kraft’s operate on a consistent basis. He could spend big now but pull back later. Well shall see. Robert wasn’t exactly known for being a big spender pre-Belichick.

I agree with everything you say, but it is funny people hate on BB after he brought us 6 Super Bowls. Why the hate?

Why do the Pats avoid spreading the cap hit? Because it decreases the cash up front.

There is a school of thought that says "Look only at the cash - the rest is smoke and mirrors."

Whether it was Bill or Kraft we'll never know, but the Pats have had among the lowest payrolls in the League, and we can see the results.

"We're going to burn cash." etc.

Are we going to burn this years "cash" or this years PLUS future years "cash"? That is the questions within the question.

I agree with everything you say, but it is funny people hate on BB after he brought us 6 Super Bowls. Why the hate?
Because he helped push Brady out of the door who proceeded to win a Super Bowl in Tampa. And his team went into the tank and became a bottom feeder franchise.

It’s that simple, nothing to do with Donald Trump.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back