PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

kneel down sequence?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that you have to run Blount 3 times if you're aware that there's going to be a leftover time differential. Either a first down or an extra 5 seconds per play seals it.

Don't hand the ball back as an alternative to 'risking turning the ball over.'

Agree 100%, run someone! play to win but never give that ball back.

I woild have run that last play taking a safety so we could have punted futher.

My guess is that the fact the Pats only ran a RB 7 times this game, they didn't want to risk a fumble or a big negative play. I think they would have rather gone the safe route and kneel three times and only give Flacco a chance at a hail mary.
There is definitely something to be said for not handing-off to someone who hasn't touched the ball in two hours on such a cold day, but I still prefer to have somebody rub around with two hands on the ball than give-up a chance at a game-winning play (or two, if you count the punt).

First and second down could have used a little Brady rollout, waiting for defense to get closer before going down. No more chance of a fumble here than on a kneel down.

On third down, since Harbaugh was clearly using his timeout after, should have seen a wr go up the sideline with a long Brady throw out of bounds. No more chance of a fumble here than on a kneel down. The clock would have been run out I would think.

Punting it was risky when the Ravens sold out for the block.

Tons of respect for your football opinions, Fencer--but we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

I don't understand how a reverse (multiple parties touching the ball????) would be considered a "safe" and efficient method of killing the clock as far down as you can.

You want ONE person touching the ball, and immediately kneeling down...which is why it's the "victory formation" to begin with.

And victory formation is what it ended up being.

If they ran any other type of play I would have been an even more nervous wreck. I could easily see the refs swallowing their whistles as two Ravens hold up a Pats RB while a third comes in and strips him of the ball.

I've seen the Pats with much worse time management than they showed at the end of this game.

Has flacco ever completed a game winning Hail Mary?
I'm not sure how the fans misunderstanding that the kneel downs would end it has anything to do with it.
I understand we would have wanted to not have to endure that play but I'm not sure how that could have happened.
Not a game winning hail mary. But remember the Denver game 2 years ago..

I'll trust BB to make the judgment, but I'll throw one more variable in there. Certain percentage chance of Aiken hiking it into the third row after barely clearing Ryan's shoe tops earlier.:(

I'll trust BB to make the judgment, but I'll throw one more variable in there. Certain percentage chance of Aiken hiking it into the third row after barely clearing Ryan's shoe tops earlier.:(

Kind of kidding, but that means the safety scenario or something worse [depending on whether Ryan tries to field one].

Got to get rid of that guy. I understand he just signed a minimal contract, but I've never seen a consistently worse snapper, what's the problem?

It's a tough situation to coach, regardless of what you do there is risk so I'm OKAY with what BB chose. I probably would have rolled Brady out and had him dive on 3 plays, then on 4th have the punter run around a bit and take a safety. Then if there was still time left, it would probably be like 3 seconds, enough for a free kick from the 20 which is alot safer than punting and giving them a chance to block it IMO.

We hadnt had a running play in 2hrs and 20 minutues, and Baltimore was playing the strip every play. And all of our running backs have had a history of fumbles. Not sure I would have felt comfortable with any of the available options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick