PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kirwin Breakdown on Drafting DE's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like this article because it actually provides the table of data he worked off of, rather than just cherry-picking numbers. But honestly, I'm not convinced that the data support his suggestions that the later rounds are just as fertile for pash rushers, or that good small-school talent gets overlooked.

Of DEs picked in the first two rounds, 4 of 8 lined up for more than two-thirds of plays last season, 1 of 8 for no plays at all.

Of DEs picked in rounds 3-5, 1 of 10 lined up for more than two-thirds of plays last season, 5 of 10 for no plays at all.

Check that out -- a full half of the DE's selected in rounds 3-5 in 2003 never saw the field last year. Not so fertile.

Meanwhile his "overlooked" small-school guy Umenyiora was taken in round 2, ahead of a raft of guys from from bigger programs. What's more, using sacks as your measure automatically downgrades the bigger guys like Ty Warren and Jarrett Johnson, who don't serve as featured pass rushers in the NFL -- and who never would have even been listed at DE at a smaller college. (Notice that Warren, a successful Big 12 product selected in round 1, is never even mentioned in the article.)

But after saying all this, I really do like the article. It offered something worth thinking about.

patchick said:
I like this article because it actually provides the table of data he worked off of, rather than just cherry-picking numbers. But honestly, I'm not convinced that the data support his suggestions that the later rounds are just as fertile for pash rushers, or that good small-school talent gets overlooked.

Of DEs picked in the first two rounds, 4 of 8 lined up for more than two-thirds of plays last season, 1 of 8 for no plays at all.

Of DEs picked in rounds 3-5, 1 of 10 lined up for more than two-thirds of plays last season, 5 of 10 for no plays at all.

Check that out -- a full half of the DE's selected in rounds 3-5 in 2003 never saw the field last year. Not so fertile.

Meanwhile his "overlooked" small-school guy Umenyiora was taken in round 2, ahead of a raft of guys from from bigger programs. What's more, using sacks as your measure automatically downgrades the bigger guys like Ty Warren and Jarrett Johnson, who don't serve as featured pass rushers in the NFL -- and who never would have even been listed at DE at a smaller college. (Notice that Warren, a successful Big 12 product selected in round 1, is never even mentioned in the article.)

But after saying all this, I really do like the article. It offered something worth thinking about.
Very pertinent comments !!

patchick said:

Good followup analysis.

patchick said:

Kirwan's the best football writer period,(IMO).

I don't think he's saying don't pick DE's in the 1st, just observing that that's the conventional wisdom.

Just trying to illustrate the Colts got great value at a position that's supposed to be a high pick.

By the way, the Colts draft very very well. Have to give credit where it's due.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back