PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kick returning with the new rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think that when there is a situation when there was a penalty on the previous play that is enforced on the kickoff (i.e., penalty against the receiving team) moving the kickoff five or more yards closer for the kicking team, then that could be a particularly ideal time to try an onside kick, or perhaps some sort of pooch kick that goes beyond the first line of the return team. The risk/reward start to become very tempting in that scenario.

I would think that when there is a situation when there was a penalty on the previous play that is enforced on the kickoff (i.e., penalty against the receiving team) moving the kickoff five or more yards closer for the kicking team, then that could be a particularly ideal time to try an onside kick, or perhaps some sort of pooch kick that goes beyond the first line of the return team. The risk/reward start to become very tempting in that scenario.

That's my thinking too.

As much as everyone is talking about all the touchbacks from the new kickoff rule, I'm thinking that the REAL interesting plays will come from the onside kick, especially if there is a penalty enforced.

This is a whole new area for teams to explore, and with a coach like New England has, who preaches situational football, this might be right up his alley to scheme for, AND against.

Last edited:
If, as some have suggested, a punt returner type is going to be more effective than an old-rules speed-threat kick returner, then that's one spot on the roster you don't have to worry about anymore. Instead of keeping a back up DB or WR who excels at kick returns, use that spot for a different back up if there's more need in another position. In our case, if Tate's not going to be effective under the new rules, he may be let go to keep an extra OL, DL or S for example.

That's my thinking too.

As much as everyone is talking about all the touchbacks from the new kickoff rule, I'm thinking that the REAL interesting plays will come from the onside kick, especially if there is a penalty enforced.

This is a whole new area for teams to explore, and with a coach like New England has, who preaches situational football, this might be right up his alley to scheme for, AND against.

Interesting thought on top of this (and I may have my rules mixed up, we'll see): Doesn't the team accepting the penalty get to choose to enforce the penalty before the kick OR subtract it from the final spot on the return? If so, choosing to kick it further up kind of tips their hand on trying a funny kick, as it's already pretty easy to get touchbacks now without the extra yards.

I could be wrong about the choice though, I can't remember.

Interesting thought on top of this (and I may have my rules mixed up, we'll see): Doesn't the team accepting the penalty get to choose to enforce the penalty before the kick OR subtract it from the final spot on the return? If so, choosing to kick it further up kind of tips their hand on trying a funny kick, as it's already pretty easy to get touchbacks now without the extra yards.

I could be wrong about the choice though, I can't remember.

IIRC, it is only enforced as to ball placement for the kickoff.

Heck, if I had the opportunity to place the ball on the 50 yard line (35, plus 15yf penalty) I would have a really interesting choice to make.

Again, it's situational football, and it would depend upon several factors.

What was the score, how well is my defense playing, how good are my special teams players, how good is my kicker, what are the receiving teams tendencies on kickoffs, what players do they send out for this kick, etc.

Plus, I only have a minute or so to make a decision. Onside kick? Sqibb kick? Touchback? Pooch it?

But yeah....... I guess my whole point is that those folks complaining about more touchbacks with this rule aren't seeing the whole picture, and how this simply addition of 5 yards can lend itself to all sorts of interesting situations to consider.

In other words, Special Teams can have a whole lot more responsibilities now than they had before.

When did they move the kick off back? And how were onsides handled prior to that? This isnt the first time the kick off is where it is.

Jules's quickness > Tate's speed when it comes to kick returns.

Umm.. Tate and Edelman have almost identical speeds. They both run in the 4.52 range. Where Edelman is better than Tate is in his cutting ability.

What made Tate such a good kick returner in college was his vision and his ability to cut. The issue I had with the kick returns last year was the poor blocking... If the team in front of him is letting the opposing coverage blow through them then it's going to be extremely hard for Tate or anyone else to get anything on kick returns..

When did they move the kick off back? And how were onsides handled prior to that? This isnt the first time the kick off is where it is.

Kick-offs were changed from the 35 to the 30 in 1994. Fairly certain that nothing else was changed..

I think the Patriots special teams have gone down hill since Brad Sealy left to go to the Browns. So far this pre-season the special teams have looked bad, particularly the blocking on returns. This could cost the Patriots some games if it doesn't get better.

I think the Patriots special teams have gone down hill since Brad Sealy left to go to the Browns. So far this pre-season the special teams have looked bad, particularly the blocking on returns. This could cost the Patriots some games if it doesn't get better.

I was thinking the same thing. I hope I'm just jumping the gun.

Was it Tate making the squad look bad or was the squad making him look bad? They didn't let anyone else return kicks so it's hard to tell if he was making poor decisions or if the blocking was horrendous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore