PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

KFFL: Upshaw claims NFL offered percentage lower than past 12 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think

1) Upshaw "promised" 60% and will now settle for 59.5%.
He has gotten 3.5% more for the players over the past couple of weeks, a couple of which in the last three, and the last 1/2% in this offer. I have no problems with how Upshaw has conducted himself in these negotiations. If there are flaws they are in the details we don't know (medical, pension etc.)

2) It is up to Tags. He has to take one or more the gang of nine blackmailing owners and threaten them with consequences. Certainly, the ones that are making top money (like Cinci) and complaining should be especially vulnerable to ZERO help from the league, ever. The eight incompetents should be told in no uncertain terms that they will be allowed to fail almost immediately if they don't support the agreement.

3) The Gang of Nine want more than they have any right to expect. Why should the players pay for their stadiums (part of the current deal)? Why should the successful owners pay for their incompetence? I'll give one simple example. Most teams have raised monies through naming rights. The owners who haven't done this (and refuse to do so) want the rest to share their naming rights revenue with the poor needy owners. The Gang of Nine are reprehensible.

4) The successful owners should NOT cave in. To call the incompetents "small market" and give them other reasons for failure is nonsense. The most successful franchise in the league was once BOTTOM in revenue, and is located in the suburbs of Providence, hardly a large market for anything.

5) It is not the worst thing in the world for there to be no extension of the CBA TWO FULL YEARS before the end of the agreement. There are no horrible, horrible consequences of a $94.5M cap, other than for those teams that have already spent $105M. An uncapped year is a condition of contest like any other. The good managements will succeed, the incompetents will fail. And even a strike IF THEY CAN'T SIGN A DEAL IN TWO YEARS isn't the end of the world. I'd rather have a year withough NFL football than to have everyone continue to pay subsidies to the incompetent blackmailing Gang of Nine. And yes, some players will gain in an uncapped year, and some will be harmed.

BOTTOM LINE
Tags will be rough with the Gang of Nine today and tomorrow and win a couple over.

I agree thaat Upshaw is being totally disengenious...He's talking out both sides of his mouth and expecting the public to buy it. NO WAY UNKEEN GENE!!
The fans do not buy that at all!! When the formula changes you can't use the same percentages..duh.! Comparing one system to another on just percentage can NOT be done..If that is the best the players can do?? They had better get someone else back in to clean up the mess he has created.
I think he''s more intertestedin frequrnt flyer miles than anything else. Seems like the minute something is in it that he doesn't like..he walks out and flies away. What kind of seriousness is that?? If he doesn't want a deal just say so
and move forward!! If you want to be serious about negotiations you do NOT keep walking out of meeting..you deal with it!! If that is the best the players have, they will be sold down the river. I know these bozoz kept saying they don't want to give the playesr a bad deal..no CBA will be a bad deal and it seems that is what they want to get into. If anything TBu has more or less extended things to hang on and work it out...I think he knows the seriousness of it all. Upchuck?? I doubt he really is looking at what will happen...I really believe he wants to decertify the union and try and get something better..the only problem is..what players have now will be the best
the will ever have. It will NOT be like baseball where the players run the league..it will be a LOT worse in all regards. And that will be his legacy...

Keep in mind that it is a settled preceedent law in Collective bargaining that in the case of an impass where the two sides could not agree the owners can institute the LAST PROPOSAL to the union in the case of an impass. That might be behind the last offer from the owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft