PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Keys to victory

Status
Not open for further replies.

xmarkd400x

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
The Patriots will win this week. Here are the things I believe the Patriots must do in order to win.

DEFENSE

1. The Pats defensive front 3 need to get good, consistent pressure. This will allow the Pats to cover with 8 men (always a plus), and it will allow their blitz schemes to be more exotic. If they don't get pressure, the Pats will either have to bring a linebacker or allow Manning plenty of time to pass. Neither is ideal.

When the front 3 are getting good pressure, the Pats can line up Vrabel or Colvin down on the line. If there has not been pressure all day, Manning will be able to read and react to the linebacker's post-snap movements. If there has been pressure, Manning will be forced into making a quicker throw. This could end up in costly interceptions (see AT's INT return for a TD earlier this season).

2. Knock the Colts' recievers off their routes. This is a key every time the Patriots play the Colts. So much of their offense is based on timing and rythm. Not to mention, delaying those recievers for .5 seconds can help make a sack happen when Peyton needs to wait for his reciever to get open.

3. Account for Dallas Clark. We have done a good job against Jason Whitten and Antonio Gates. I don't think he will be much of a problem. We don't have a flu-ridden injured team on the field this year.

OFFENSE

1. Wear out the Indy D-Line with quick passes, screens, and long drives. Pass rushes can be slowed down with plays that, when executed properly, do not give the D-Lineman a chance in hell of getting to the ball. When a player tires, their play gets sloppy. They overpursue and don't generate as much power. Can the D-Line go full speed for 70 plays on Sunday? We'll see.

2. Chew up the clock. Peyton is great at wearing out defenses. In order to keep him from doing this, you need to keep him off the field. Complete passes (which Brady excels at) and running plays that keep the clock moving keep the T.O.P in our favor. This usually pays off most at the end of a game when our defense is still fresh (unlike last January).

3. Get the radio guy to say this: "Handoff to Maroney, nowhere to run. Wait! Tosses the ball back to Brady. Looking. Looking. Steps up and launches the ball to Moss. Moss is single covered. Moss catches the ball between his toes in the end zone!!! Pats are up 6-0 on the first play of the game!!!"

3. Get the radio guy to say this: "Handoff to Maroney, nowhere to run. Wait! Tosses the ball back to Brady. Looking. Looking. Steps up and launches the ball to Moss. Moss is single covered. Moss catches the ball between his toes in the end zone!!! Pats are up 6-0 on the first play of the game!!!"

Add a reverse into this play and that's what I'm hoping for....

I was bracing myself for another "luck and intangibles" thread, but that's a really solid list. Good work.

nice list, but i doubt the pats will have too much trouble...i predict the score 42 24...but 24 points seems too much for the colts to get...their last TD at the very least will only be garbage time score

The Patriots will win this week. Here are the things I believe the Patriots must do in order to win.

DEFENSE

1. The Pats defensive front 3 need to get good, consistent pressure. This will allow the Pats to cover with 8 men (always a plus), and it will allow their blitz schemes to be more exotic. If they don't get pressure, the Pats will either have to bring a linebacker or allow Manning plenty of time to pass. Neither is ideal.

When the front 3 are getting good pressure, the Pats can line up Vrabel or Colvin down on the line. If there has not been pressure all day, Manning will be able to read and react to the linebacker's post-snap movements. If there has been pressure, Manning will be forced into making a quicker throw. This could end up in costly interceptions (see AT's INT return for a TD earlier this season).
I don't think this is going to happen. The Colts' OL is good and counting on the front 3 providing consistent pressure is a pipe dream, IMO. The Pats will have to bring Colvin and/or Vrabel (or Rodney?)...a fourth rusher...on every down.

2. Knock the Colts' recievers off their routes. This is a key every time the Patriots play the Colts. So much of their offense is based on timing and rythm. Not to mention, delaying those recievers for .5 seconds can help make a sack happen when Peyton needs to wait for his reciever to get open.
I agree, but the Pats have to be very careful. Go look at the November 2006 play-by-play and you'll see a lot of "illegal use of the hands" calls on the Pats that gave free first downs to the Colts.

3. Account for Dallas Clark. We have done a good job against Jason Whitten and Antonio Gates. I don't think he will be much of a problem. We don't have a flu-ridden injured team on the field this year.
Clark and Addai will be the focal points on D.

OFFENSE

1. Wear out the Indy D-Line with quick passes, screens, and long drives. Pass rushes can be slowed down with plays that, when executed properly, do not give the D-Lineman a chance in hell of getting to the ball. When a player tires, their play gets sloppy. They overpursue and don't generate as much power. Can the D-Line go full speed for 70 plays on Sunday? We'll see.
Indy's DL doesn't concern me. They've reigned in the all-out pass rush to help out their run D...this is why Freeney's sack stats have tailed off the past two years. I think the key will be keeping Indy's D guessing. Keep a RB in the backfield on all plays, even when going 4-wide, and do lots of shotgun handoffs and play-action from under center. Sanders and Bethea will eventually be frozen in the tracks since they'll be scared to bite on play fakes.

2. Chew up the clock. Peyton is great at wearing out defenses. In order to keep him from doing this, you need to keep him off the field. Complete passes (which Brady excels at) and running plays that keep the clock moving keep the T.O.P in our favor. This usually pays off most at the end of a game when our defense is still fresh (unlike last January).
Like the Pats did vs. New York and San Diego, I think they'll run it very well in the 2nd half. In the first half, I think the Pats try hard to jump out to a big lead so the TOP battle won't be a concern then.

Too funny.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back