PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kevin O'Connell Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is so sad but I would kill for a backup QB that is at least on the same level as Joey Harrington or Rex Grossman.

That's why it drives me crazy reading all the posts saying "You all called Pennington a noodle-arm when he was with the Jets, but now you want him? You're total hypocrites!" Please. If your starting QB is, say, the 30th-best QB in the league, you're screwed. But if your backup QB is the 30th-best QB in the league, you're golden. (Hmm, those two sentences could be assigned as a classroom exercise in "your" vs. "you're.")

That's why it drives me crazy reading all the posts saying "You all called Pennington a noodle-arm when he was with the Jets, but now you want him? You're total hypocrites!" Please. If your starting QB is, say, the 30th-best QB in the league, you're screwed. But if your backup QB is the 30th-best QB in the league, you're golden. (Hmm, those two sentences could be assigned as a classroom exercise in "your" vs. "you're.")

Please no math... I understand your point completely.

LOL! I stopped by here specifically to see if you'd had such a thought. :)

For a minor-conference kid just coming off a major overhaul of his mechanics, O'Connell looked surprisingly good. And as Cassel is sadly demonstrating, decent backup QBs don't grow on trees.

You know, O'Connell did do some good things out there, maybe more good than bad. I definitely think he should have run more, but he's still very young.

As bad as someone with a zero QB rating for the game can be, let's remember that Cassell, did not have Moss, Welker or a 1st string OL in front of him. Granted tripping over your own feet and fumbling the ball looks bad, but hey did anybody notice that Yates looked more horrible than Cassell? Thankfully BB has already broken down the film by now and I am thinking Yates is in trouble at today's meetings. But so are a lot of others as well.

Harrington should be available. Redman, Ryan and Shockley are playing well, and harrington is lost in Atlanta.

For a minor-conference kid just coming off a major overhaul of his mechanics, O'Connell looked surprisingly good.

Was wondering if anyone else noticed that. My initial impression was very favorable of his throwing motion, but I don't have the game recorded so I can't go back and look. Two plays stand out:

• The end zone rollout to his left and throw to Ventrone. Good footwork and squared his shoulders for the throw.
  • The final 4th down pass to CJ that was intercepted. Strong delivery without losing his mechanics.

What is really nice is that these 2 throws were made in situations where it is really easy to lose your fundamentals. If O'Connell can get his feet and throwing motion to be sound and repeatable, the Pats may be able to make a long-term evaluation of him sooner than I expected.

Anyone notice the same thing or am I blowing smoke?

Yeah, I don't see what the dealio was with this brainless pick. I have the utmost confidence in Matt Gutierrez. He will be a great QB in the league once he gets his chance. IMHO - he could be as good as Brady is.

Yeah, I don't see what the dealio was with this brainless pick. I have the utmost confidence in Matt Gutierrez. He will be a great QB in the league once he gets his chance. IMHO - he could be as good as Brady is.

What? A bold statement of a rookie that has played a quarter and a half of preseason football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes