PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Keep Daniel Graham, let Watson Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been tough on Graham for failing to fulfil the promise that he brought with him as a former #1 pick.

And while I don't think he's lived up to that level, he's had enough clutch game changing catches to supplement his always great blocking to make him an offseason priority.

Does that mean a contract that pays him as one of the top 5 TEs as anything in the $4 million a season would? No - although some strongly believe he is and should be paid that way - I do not.

But he is extremely valuable TO US in our system and hopefully Graham feels that team and fanbase appreciation even if it doesn't equate to contract dollars.

As for Watson, give him a deep threat WR behind him and tack on another 5 yards after the catch minium from him - as well as a dozen or more catches as he won't be permanently double teamed anymore.

Your question makes me curious. Could you please name for me the players in two groups of tight ends:

1.) All tight ends you think are CLEARLY better than Graham

2.) All tight ends you think are better than Graham, but you'd concede there's an argument to be made the other way.

Watson will explode next year.

Watson will explode next year.

Yup & plus it's not like he played poorly this season by any stretch. Yes, he had some drops/fumbles/injuries, but he produced a more than solid 643 yards on 49 catches. Not too shabby.

just because watson didnt live up to the antonio gates projection that everyone put on him, isnt his fault. he still was the 2nd leading reciever(if he stayed healthy most likely would have been the #1 leading reciever) and progressed tremendosely from the previous season. now whether or not he can progress even further from this season to next season remains to be seen. and maybe if the pats get a few more threats on offense to go along with watson, some of the pressure will be taken off of him. i think in an ideal situation, you keep both of them but they will most likely not do that.

I think another question is whether Graham want to play for the patriots.

Unless Graham wants to leave to become the clear #1 TE, therey're independent issues. Do we want to pay Graham ? End of question. Watson is signed cheap for 3 more years.

While I'm not down on Watson at all, trading him should not be ruled out. Conceivably, he could return a very nice pick in return. Trades are not just for getting rid of unwanted talent - they can help improve the team by dealing from depth.

I think this team would be no worse off with Thomas and Graham starting at TE. Both are very well rounded for the position. It would be hard for defenders to key off them. Graham would see more receiving duties under that scenario.

I'm not advocating the move, but it shouldn't be ridiculed. If it improves the team, then go for it. Does anybody think it would be a bad decision to resign Graham and trade Watson for an early 2nd or late 1st in this draft??

Your question makes me curious. Could you please name for me the players in two groups of tight ends:

1.) All tight ends you think are CLEARLY better than Graham

2.) All tight ends you think are better than Graham, but you'd concede there's an argument to be made the other way.

Sure, no prob:

I think the you can make an argument that the following TEs are better than Graham - Tony Gonzalez, Jeremy Shockey, Todd Heap, Dallas Clark, Jason Witten, Ben Watson (yes, I think Ben Watson is a better TE than Graham), Randy McMichael, Chris Cooley, L.J. Smith - heck you could even make a case that Jermaine Wiggins is a better TE than Graham looking at the numbers.

Is Graham an excellent blocker? Absolutely. I appreciate blocking - and there are quite a few athletic linemen that do it just as well. In fact a few teams are using an extra OL at TE nowadays.

But we get so many people here who get so caught up about blocking because they think it demonstrates their ability to "get" the nuances of football that they actually think Graham is one of the best TEs in the game and should be paid like one.

He's more valuable to us than to many teams, no doubt - and there's always someone willing to overpay.

But ask 9 out of 10 GMs if the players on the above list are better than Graham and I think most would note Graham's excellent blocking, but take the consistent production from that position every time.

Basically my breakdown has Graham exactly where I think he should be - a top 10 TE - specifically, #10.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results