PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Just updated my 2015 salary cap preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice work, Miguel.

A couple of thoughts:

1. I don't think it is accurate to say that Branden Bolden will figure in any future plans to be a starting HB in New England, or anywhere else. He's an excellent 4 way STer, though.

2. I would list Marcus Cannon as a T, not a G. And I agree that he'll be elsewhere as a starter next year.

3. I think Ridley's injury mean he is almost a lock to stay here on a 1 year deal. He'll want a good, healthy year under his belt before hitting FA - why not do it where he knows the system and his QB is TFB?

4. Vereen might be tougher to hold onto depending on how the Patriots value James White - and how Vereen performs for the rest of the year.

5. Mayo's position depends largely upon his ability to start next season healthy. Will his salary be pro-rated if he starts the year on I.R designated to return or some other injury designation?

6. Vince is worth that money for sure. He's the main reason the Broncos couldn't run on Sunday.

7. Amendola will restructure or be cut - at this point is a No.3 wideout on an offense that likes to use 2 TE's.

8. Browner will be back. He brings a Rodney-like confidence to the D.

9. Wendell's versatility make him a lock for 2015.

10. Arrington will restructure or be gone. Logan Ryan or Dennard are capable of fulfilling his role as nickel back.

Thanks Miggy fabulous work as usual. As you mentioned, pretty easy to free up about 30m. Get that Revis deal down to 14m for this year. Saves 11m. Roll-over and Hernandez another 8m. Brady 4m. Hate to say it. But, might be time to say good-bye to Vince. I have Amendola out of here too.

We've had such trouble putting a secondary together since the glory days. I want to keep what we've got together. That's the key to having a good defense IMO. Your secondary. Re-do Revis contract. Sign Chung. Of course, extending McCourty is a no-brainer. Also, want to keep Solder, Slater, Vereen and Gostkowski. Willing to let Connolly, Ridley, Bolden and Cannon walk. Haven't seen enough of Ayers or Casillas to decide.

Keeping Browner. Gronk will keep as is. Mayo will be back in 2015. Might be able to save there too.

I don't think we are going to lose any valuable pieces if Revis is reasonable.

"LB Nate Solder($7,438,000 cap charge) – His $7,438,000 salary becomes fully guaranteed the first day of the 2015 League Year - See more at: http://www.patsfans.com/salary-cap/?p=894#.VFj8WPnF-m0"

Didn't know Solder played LB ;)

Also no way in the world the patriots cut Gronk.

"Also no way in the world the patriots cut Gronk.

If Gronk ends the season on IR, I doubt that the Patriots will pick up his option.

1. I don't think it is accurate to say that Branden Bolden will figure in any future plans to be a starting HB in New England, or anywhere else. He's an excellent 4 way STer, though.
Don't know what Bolden thinks of himself.

2. I would list Marcus Cannon as a T, not a G. And I agree that he'll be elsewhere as a starter next year.
Fixed
3. I think Ridley's injury mean he is almost a lock to stay here on a 1 year deal. He'll want a good, healthy year under his belt before hitting FA - why not do it where he knows the system and his QB is TFB?
If I were a RB on an one-year deal, the Patriots would be among the last places I go looking to maximize my value for the only big free-agency contract I may get.

5. Mayo's position depends largely upon his ability to start next season healthy. Will his salary be pro-rated if he starts the year on I.R designated to return or some other injury designation?
I doubt that Mayo's contract has a split-salary provision.

Hey Miguel, bit OT but do you expect Denver to have the cash to retain both Thomas'?

Regarding some of the big money decisions:

• Pick up Revis’ option? No.
    AGREE - Picking up a $25mil contract is silly
  • Extend Revis’ option? Only if the APY of the real money in the deal is $14 million or lower.
    I think he will get a top deal either here or on the market. But i think we will have the propensity to make it happen here
  • Pick up Browner’s option? If he plays well in 2014, Yes. Otherwise, no.
    YES. His play over the last 3 weeks has been stellar and has set a tone.
  • If Revis and Browner are part of the Patriots’ long term plans, Arrington will probably be released sometime in 2015
    Agree. Ryan and Dennard are cheaper options. Arrington might renegotiate and extend.
  • Release Gronk before the start of the 2015 League Year? Yes, only if he misses a good number of games in 2014.
    No chance IMO.
  • Keep the running back duo of Ridley and Vereen? No. One will remain a Patriot. The other will attempt to find success elsewhere in the NFL.
    Agree. IMO Ridley is gone. White has been a bit of a dissapointment in his development (10 games in to his career). IMO we draft Ridley's replacement next year if Gray doesn't find out.
  • Keep the trio of Lafell, Amendola and Edelman for the 2015 season? One maybe two will have to go to create cap space and roster space for the younger wideouts on the team.
    Edelman and LaFell are here. Amendola is the ??? will the cap savings be enough to get rid of him? I am not sure.
  • Keep Mayo? If Mayo has a repeat of the 2013 season and Jamie Collins steps up in 2014 Mayo may be too expensive to keep in 2015 so I expect him and the Patriots to reach an incentive-laden deal for the 2015 season.
Agree. But i would be surprised if Mayo was gone. I think he would do a Vince and renegotiate a contract (even extend)
  • Reach a deal with McCourty? Yes
    Agree. This might be tougher than we think but hopefully we can get this done.

The Hernandez trial for Odin Lloyd will begin in 2015, and the trial for the two murders that occurred, and Hernandez allegedly commited before we extended him back in 2012, will begin in 2016. Guess people shouldn't hold their breath for any cap space back from Hernandez in the near future.

Michael McCann ‏@McCannSportsLaw 46m46 minutes ago
Aaron Hernandez trial for Odin Lloyd murder to begin on Jan 9 2015. His trial for Daniel de Abreu and Safiro Furtado murders likely in 2016.

CORNERS
I see us keeping Browner and Arrington in any case. I agree that $14M AAV is about the right number for Revis. My disagreement is with regard to Arrington not being worth $3M to a team with Revis and Browner. Dennard and Ryan are poor replacements as slot backs. In our passing league, it is worth quite a lot to have a great set of corners. Having acceptable backups and dime backs is a major plus (Ryan, Dennard and Butler). So, Belichick could fire Arrington, but after his performance this year, I don't see it happening.

RUNNING BACKS
I have never understood the Ridley OR Vereen approach.

To me, they play two separate positions. We have Gray and Blount as the 1st down back tandem. We can add Ridley, but I don't see him playing for us in what would be his prove it year.

It is an open question whether the team will pay enough to keep 3rd down back Vereen. They didn't for Woodhead. Also, White is considered a backup for this position. Bolden was the backup in 2013.

WIDE RECEIVERS
I don't understand the idea of one OR TWO wide receivers being cut to make way for the teams young receivers. I understand Amendola being cut (or being signed a seriously lower new contract). IMHO, Edelman and LaFell are an inexpensive pair of starting wide receivers. I don't think that any thought will be given to cutting them to make way for Dobson, Tyms and Boyce. In fact, I just don't understand the argument. We have TWO acceptable starting wide receivers under contract. We'll keep them. The reality is that we will need a #3 plus backups. Maybe we have enough in Tyms, Dobson and on our Practice Squad. That seems unlikely to me.

SAFETIES
The open question is one of same as it has been for years. Who are our safeties? Both McCourty and Chung are free agents. We need both to return. Harmon is an OK backup, as long as he don't have to play much. The rest of safeties are special teamers.

McCourty will be Franchised if we can't come to an arangement. he isn't going anywhere IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back