PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Just call New England Patriots QB Tom Brady, who can be one nervous cat, Tom 'Fraidy'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Just call New England Patriots QB Tom Brady, who can be one nervous cat, Tom 'Fra

I get it!
Rhymes with Brady!

My favorite Elisha, much harder to sack.
Here plays D, in a cover two:

Great pic....lol...when I see that, I assign a whole new meaning to the term "strip sack".... :D

Re: Just call New England Patriots QB Tom Brady, who can be one nervous cat, Tom 'Fra

I wasn't being provocative. As a matter of fact, my first post was pretty clearly one that was limiting, and mostly minimizing, the issue. And your claim that this is a non-issue is clearly not true.

If you can supply evidence to support this I'd love to see it. As noted earlier, I've seen a majority of Brady's snaps live since he donned a Patriots uniform and since early '09 have seen nothing of what you allude to.

what do they call wilfork.....yeah, that's what I thought.....****ies

I've seen Myers on YES Network's "This Week In Football" show and he seems like he doesn't really know what he's talking about. The other guys there seem to be annoyed that he's on with them and clowns him for the most part.

When did Gary Meyer go from anti-Giants contrarian to homer douche?

As soon as he got a chance to SLAM Brady AGAIN AGAIN & AGAIN!!!

43 rushes, his 2nd highest total in his career
109 yards rushing, one off his career high of 110
3 rushing touchdowns, his career high

Thanks for bringing that up. I think TB is doing a much better job this season at taking a few yards rushing if it is given to him. 2009 and 2010 I thought he was too hesitant to run at all, but I really like the way he has been playing this entire season.

He is never going to be a great rushing QB, neither should he be and running really only should happen if throwing is not an option, or not the better one (note: this won´t happen a lot with this Patriots Offense). However, I think he has done enough of it this season to keep the D honest, because he has shown that he willing to take off if you give him too much space.

I thought he has been very good at this this season.

If you can supply evidence to support this I'd love to see it. As noted earlier, I've seen a majority of Brady's snaps live since he donned a Patriots uniform and since early '09 have seen nothing of what you allude to.

I think that Deus has a valid point here. I can't think of many players that have come back from the type of injury TB had and be totally unaffected by the risks of runs or hits in the pocket. The fact that he has done so well despite that history is never mentioned, and why comparing him to the injury free eli is an unfair comparison.

I checked his rushing stats over the years and taking out the outlier in 2005 there is a noticeable decrease in his attempts after the hit. It has taken him 3 years to get some of that confidence back and his rushing figures support Deus' observation that he has been less likely to run in 2009/10

Year Att Yds TDs
2001 36 43 0
2002 42 110 1
2003 42 63 1
2004 43 28 0
2005 27 89 1
2006 49 102 0
2007 37 98 2
2009 29 44 1
2010 31 30 1
2011 43 109 3

The only other player I can think of that could be compared is Palmer but the only thing in common is the injury - Palmer has never been the same as he was before his hit.

I do think it is disgraceful that journalists of the age and experience of Myers create such pablum, but then I guess he can't choose either his employer or his readership.

PS while Eli deserves kudos for taking all those hits in the NFCG and getting back up again, how effective was he at advancing the ball in the second half?

Last edited:

It's been discussed numerous times. It's been brought up by media analysts both "pro" and "anti" Patriots. I'm not going to go back and pull up links about it.

And seeing it live means nothing, in this case. In fact, seeing it on television, with all the replays, is likely to be a much better barometer.

When did Gary Meyer go from anti-Giants contrarian to homer douche?

It took Myers a couple of weeks to jump off the Jets bandwagon and onto the Giants bandwagon apparently.

I know the New York Daily News is never going to be considered a bastion of higher literacy, but using terms like 'Tom Fraidy' - whether it be Myers, or the editor that came up with the headline - is something that would be called out for even if it was on Bleacher Report.

Myers also makes the mistake of not understanding the usefulness of maneuverability within the pocket versus scrambling outside of the pocket. For somebody that gets paid to cover the sport of professional football he should realize this.

He also lets perception cloud reality by portraying Brady as being as seldom being hit, and therefore can't take a hit because he's not used to it. I recall a stat from a year or so ago that Brady had been hit more often than any other NFL quarterback. Ironically Meyer even used the word perception in his description, because that's what it is - a perception, not reality.

I also find it ironic that he calls Brady out for having a 57.5 QB rating last week while lauding Manning - and not mentioning that Eli threw 26 incomplete passes, completing only 55% overall and 5.4 yards per pass attempt on the very same day. But hey, there's no reason for letting facts stand in the way of a good story.

Again, this is something I would expect from a site like Bleacher Report, but Myers and the newspaper succeeded in what they set out to do: say something outlandish and get people to talk about it and link back to it, generating plenty of web hits.

Myers and the newspaper should be very proud.

Last edited:

Brady has 2 issues post-knee:

1.) Much more hesitant to run

2.) More likely to start feeling the rush if he's hit early

It is what it is.
I'll agree with the second point, but not the first. Brady has run a lot more than normal this year.

I think it's fair to say that Brady has shown an occasional tendency to be more affected by multiple early hits than he was before his knee injury. I think it's foolish to go much further than that.

It's also foolish to act like Brady is the only QB that gets 'rattled' when he can't trust his OL to do their job and keep him upright.

(Not saying you implied that, I'm just tired of the media acting like Brady is the only one)

I'm also not sure why this article deserved a thread, I have 0 interest in reading anything put out by the NY specific media, at least places like the Boston Herald and Globe attempt to be fair to everyone.

I'm also not sure why this article deserved a thread, I have 0 interest in reading anything put out by the NY specific media, at least places like the Boston Herald and Globe attempt to be fair to everyone.

I love this stuff. Emotional momentum is a huge thing.
I really believe in it.

Signs are NY will be over the top by next week, snowballing,
becoming like the Jets.

I hope...I hope...

Speaking of Green cheese,
where is the fat baastid?

Rex, to the podium please.

Of all the obnoxious, nausiating, over the top stories ive seen this week this takes the cake.

Tom Brady is a "fraidy cat" Tom Fraidy Brady I hope TB reads this, it may not be directly from a Giants player but some have implied it.

Just call New England Patriots QB Tom Brady, who can be one nervous cat, Tom 'Fraidy' - NY Daily News

Tom Brady may be NFL royalty with three Super Bowl rings and his super model wife and the SoCal mansion big enough to have a sleepover with all his Patriots teammates, but sources say he is still human.

I spoke to an NFL assistant coach Thursday whose team did extensive film study of what the Jets did to Brady in their playoff victory last year.The coach’s report was startling for a future Hall of Famer who might be the second best quarterback in NFL history after Joe Montana.

The problem i have with these *** holes is that they'll disappear if and when the Pats beat the Giants, they'll be nowhere to be found.

Gary Myers is a Jets fan, so I wonder if he's written this article just to get the pats fired up. But, why would he be helping the patriots? maybe he hates the giants THAT much.

Wow...

We have an article that adds far too much drama to a minor issue in Brady's QBing.

Then we have several posts that add far too much drama to a post pointing out minor issues in Brady's QBing.

I think it's okay
1. To think TB12 is the GOAT
2. To think #1 and also think parts of his game have changed for the worse since the injury
3. To think #1 and #2 and also think parts of his game have changed for the better since the injury or even since last season

You end up nitpicking a guy like Brady because he is so close to the perfect QB. But you can take that too far which is what that article did by leaps and bounds.

I'm thinking the short passing game might be better for the giant's game this year than whatever the pats had last time. Brady doesn't get hit when he gets the ball of in only a few seconds. It's the long developing plays that need a lot of protection that are dangerous.

Not sure if that means more running, more screens (if that's possible, maybe with the giants defensive speed it isn't), or what. If the Giants don't fear the deep ball at all maybe they can bring everyone up and no one will be open.

The article was incendiary but I think it was true that Brady got rattled after he threw the int in the jets game. He seemed to sulk a bit. But maybe it was my imagination.

I just hope they win. That would be so great. I'm kind of dreading the game in a way b/c I get so nervous. The ravens game just about wiped me out. I just hope they pull some magic out to neutralize the defense. They've had years to think about it.

Last edited:

Brady moves around the pocket better than any QB since Marino.

this one is more good natured...

Osi Umenyiora still has beef with Matt Light
Osi Umenyiora still has beef with Matt Light - Extra Points - Boston.com

"I don’t know what it is but it’s something he does that really gets under my skin,” Umenyiora said.

“It’s kind of funny because Osi isn’t a fighter whatsoever," said fellow defensive lineman Justin Tuck, who called it the battle of the 72s since both players wear the same number. "I have a very vivid memory of both [fights]. We give him flack about it. I say Light beat him up.”

If another confrontation comes, Umenyiora joked that his Giants would actually reap the benefit.

“He’s more important to his team than I am to mine," said Umenyiora, whose nine sacks were second on the team this season. "So us fighting and getting kicked out, Tuck and [Jason Pierre-Paul] can have a field day.

It's been discussed numerous times. It's been brought up by media analysts both "pro" and "anti" Patriots. I'm not going to go back and pull up links about it.

And seeing it live means nothing, in this case. In fact, seeing it on television, with all the replays, is likely to be a much better barometer.

Fine, stick with your unsubstantiated conjecture/opinion, just don't try passing it off as anything more than that. And if you think you can see more of what happens on a football field on television vs. live, you simply have never been to a football game.

<hands gloves back to tunescribe> :D

I'm sure the Giants' secondary appreciates Meyer immensely. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes