PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Journalistic mathemathics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kato

On the Roster
Reaction score
OK, I'm eating up every article about the Pats like I do every season.

The thing that is killing me is the different Tom Brady TD projections that I see in various places. Now, I'm an engineer, so I may have the math thing down pat.

He has 21 TDs in 6 games which is 3.5 per game.

3.5 TDs/game times 16 games is EXACTLY 56.

Yet, some are saying he's on pace for 57, or 58, or 55. See Rich Eisen's article on NFL.com for an example of the 57 TD projection.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story?id=09000d5d8035a479&template=with-video&confirm=true

"Brady now has a stupefying 21 -- 21! -- touchdowns through six games, easily on pace to throw for a silly 57 touchdowns -- 57 touchdowns! -- which would disintegrate Peyton Manning's record of 49."

Don't you think that these guys would check their math? Or am I being too much of an critical engineer?

Re: journalistic mathematics

It would be understandable if it were a rounding problem, but it's not.

Looks like some folks need to lrn2math...hehe.

Maybe their factoring the Moss one that was improperly called back? :confused:

If they could do math, they wouldn't have become journalists...

The thing that is killing me is the different Tom Brady TD projections that I see in various places. Now, I'm an engineer, so I may have the math thing down pat.

Yet, some are saying he's on pace for 57, or 58, or 55. See Rich Eisen's article on NFL.com for an example of the 57 TD projection.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story?id=09000d5d8035a479&template=with-video&confirm=true

"Brady now has a stupefying 21 -- 21! -- touchdowns through six games, easily on pace to throw for a silly 57 touchdowns -- 57 touchdowns! -- which would disintegrate Peyton Manning's record of 49."

Don't you think that these guys would check their math? Or am I being too much of an critical engineer?

a) The zero effect makes them off by one.

2) They count by 3's and you really can't divide that second to the last portion before you get to 60, so they rounded up like anybody would. You know that.

iii) Umm, they have once again proven that they simply follow along like sheep without checking one single thing for themselves. If one says, "the chowdacheatas are cheatas." Then, they all simply start nodding their collective heads like the bobble-heads dolls they play with while they are alone in their little mahogany panelled sports den at home.

Brady's playing so well, I think some people expect at least one TD, probably two, during the bye week :)

a) The zero effect makes them off by one.

2) They count by 3's and you really can't divide that second to the last portion before you get to 60, so they rounded up like anybody would. You know that.

iii) Umm, they have once again proven that they simply follow along like sheep without checking one single thing for themselves. If one says, "the chowdacheatas are cheatas." Then, they all simply start nodding their collective heads like the bobble-heads dolls they play with while they are alone in their little mahogany panelled sports den at home.

Rofl. Reminds me of that Mr. Show sketch where these mafia guys are trying to decide what the highest number is.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RkP_OGDCLY0

I loved the Mr Show show!

Those dudes kill me.

These are the same guys who insisted the Pats wouldn't win SB38 because it was "too hard to win 15 in a row". This after they had already won 14 in a row.

Americans are mathematically challenged as a nation; we poke fun of engineers, scientists and mathematicians as uncool geeks and nurds, and the average reporter is the kind who got a C- in math and figured it was ok because he was an English or journalism major.

These are the same guys who insisted the Pats wouldn't win SB38 because it was "too hard to win 15 in a row". This after they had already won 14 in a row.

Americans are mathematically challenged as a nation; we poke fun of engineers, scientists and mathematicians as uncool geeks and nurds, and the average reporter is the kind who got a C- in math and figured it was ok because he was an English or journalism major.

Well come on man!

15 is the biggest number. Sheesh!

"Scientists estimate that there may be as many as...24...stars in the cosmos."

Americans are mathematically challenged as a nation

Sad but true. I mean, I bet 24% of our 24 citizens couldn't even figure out that they make up...uh...24? people.

OK, so not all journalists give 110%.

OK, so not all journalists give 110%.

It's 24%!!!!

Actually, I one time gave 111.2%

I will never do that again.

And yes, it left a mark.

It's 24%!!!!

Actually, I one time gave 111.2%

I will never do that again.

And yes, it left a mark.
And for what percent of the time did you give 111.2%? HMMM? :p

And for what percent of the time did you give 111.2%? HMMM? :p

ummm,

24%?

I guess 24% of my time I gave 111.2% effort.

So, if we multiply 4X2, and get 8, and 2X1 = 2 (but that one is behind the decimal point so it really dosn't count that much, so there are 3 (2X1's) in there, which is really like three times the 8 from earlier, which is 24, so yea, 24%

-------
24%

I think that I got it Write?

ummm,

24%?

I guess 24% of my time I gave 111.2% effort.

So, if we multiply 4X2, and get 8, and 2X1 = 2 (but that one is behind the decimal point so it really dosn't count that much, so there are 3 (2X1's) in there, which is really like three times the 8 from earlier, which is 24, so yea, 24%

-------
24%

I think that I got it Write?

My bad...yes, you're right. Just like the other 24 posters here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes