PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh McDaniels has a lot to learn (went conservative since breaking record)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree and disagree at the same time. We didn't take advantage of our receivers ability to block rather efficiently and run screens well, and we could certainly have gone underneath more often considering how open the middle was. However, tom didn't play all that well in the two games our offense sputtered while he missed a lot of throws.

Yeah, I agree. If Belichick was concerned how McDaniels called the game, the last thing he would be doing is having his back to the field working with the starting defense to make adjustments when Brady and the offense are on the field.

I have been wondering for a while whether a new defensive coordinator is on the way. It seems that Pees has been stripped of at least some of his duties since he is usually watching Belichick work with the defense. I thought Pees did a great job in 2006 running the defense, but I wondered about the defense this year.

Maybe BB thought the Offense would take care of itself.

If he knew they would score 14 points, maybe that would have changed.

14 points! I still can't belive it. We scored 38 w/o two linemen.

The offensive play calling was poor and predictable - I agree. Far too often the whole world knew what we were going to do - especially when we lined up to run. Welker was not used enough - especially on the inside slants, thus the G-men could keep sending the LBs on the blitz. And once we started getting creamed up front, why didn't we at least try the 3 TE formation and hammer the Giants down a bit?

Two first half decisions really stick out -

Punting from the Giant's 42 on 4th and 2 in the 1st quarter. We've gone for that virtually every time this season and kicking there sent a limp wrist message when we should have been reaching for the dagger. A horrible decision that haunted the Pats the whole game. One of the top two or three worst moves of the game.

Running Maroney on 3rd and 1 in the second quarter from our 45 (or right near there). First of all, like I said before the entire world could read RUN from they way we lined up, so the Giants completely sold out on a run blitz and dumped Lomo for a 2yd loss. It wasn't a matter of blocking really, not when 8 guys run right to the hole. It was already clear by this point that the Giants had a read on our formations, so this play was the perfect time to go play-action out fo the same set and try and burn the Giants deep. But no - the ultra conservative game plan won out and we got pushed back and punted.

And on our final TD drive-

We should have used more running plays once we got close!!!! We should have been conscious of forcing the Gints to burn TO's by grinding out a play or two inside the ten. On top of this, Brady ran the team up to the line and snapped the ball with 20+ seconds on the play clock after one play when the G-men faked a injury. he should have noticed the game clock was moving...

McDaniel was off his game, way off and maybe panicked a little under the pressure. It was his first SB as a OC, but that's no excuse because the same was true for Gints.

Last edited:
McDaniels stinks. Always has too. Coaching lost the game Sunday.

Running Maroney on 3rd and 1 in the second quarter from our 45 (or right near there). First of all, like I said before the entire world could read RUN from they way we lined up, so the Giants completely sold out on a run blitz and dumped Lomo for a 2yd loss. It wasn't a matter of blocking really, not when 8 guys run right to the hole. It was already clear by this point that the Giants had a read on our formations, so this play was the perfect time to go play-action out fo the same set and try and burn the Giants deep. But no - the ultra conservative game plan won out and we got pushed back and punted.

This play drove me nuts. I'm not a jump up and down kinda guy but I saw the Pats line up in a very predictable run formation and the Giants putting 8 men in the box and yelled, "Don't run! Audible!".

I've never been a big McD fan (even after 50/23) and after this game I really don't like him. Too bad he didn't take one of those head coaching jobs.

BTW, I know everybody loves Dante Scarnecchia but where was the coach when his guys were acting like human turnstiles? Just saying...

McDaniels stinks. Always has too. Coaching lost the game Sunday.

And yet he's considered one of the brightest young coaches in the NFL, and guided the Pats to a season where they scored more points than anyone and set a few records regarding passing and scoring.

You're right, he does suck.

:confused:

Why didn't they roll Brady out? To me like I stated the offense seemed scaled back after the broke all those records. Why rethink everything when what you did early on got you to 16-0? I don't care what kind of pass rush that was the offense didn't look anything like it had all season. It's not like they didn't see the same pass rush in week 17!

I don't think tom was rolling to well.

JM didn't call enough running plays. You saw Maroney shredding the tired Giant's front 7 late in the game. Just so terribly disapointed.

Loss of words.

But today at work, JM was exactly the person I was thinking off. WAY too many check downs and Screens.

It's ok. Alway's next year.

Only 1 Team can talk ****. That's the Giants. All other teams say one thing. "Always next year"

Bingo.

If they'd gone with the big lineup heavy on TEs or Evans, they give the line a chance to beat up on the Giants. They were totally pumped to pass rush and a little beating wuld have sent some to the trainers table. They were already cramping up.

Pass happy, it's always their downfall, like in 2002.

I agree. McD had earned the right not to be questioned...but honestly, there's no defense of the lack of adjustments in that game plan the other night. You have the greatest offense in history, if you can't do something to make that work, no matter how bad your offensive line is playing and how good their defensive line is playing, you're F'd.

Go 3TE, power formation and try and run over them. If you're going to pass, put RBs in the backfield to block, something anything. Or as Grogan said, even try spread them out and go with quick passes, don't try and stretch the field, just quick releases. Just try SOMETHING different.

Last edited:
McDaniels was the goat of the game. end of story. Why did the o-line look so bad? Because they did nothing to burn the giants for being so agrressive and they let brady sit back there and get eaten alive.

Two first half decisions really stick out -

Punting from the Giant's 42 on 4th and 2 in the 1st quarter. We've gone for that virtually every time this season and kicking there sent a limp wrist message when we should have been reaching for the dagger. A horrible decision that haunted the Pats the whole game. One of the top two or three worst moves of the game.

The Pats had only one possession in the 1st quarter, and it resulted in a TD on the first play of the 2nd quarter. Perhaps you mean punting on 4th/2 from the NJG 44 on the opening drive of the 3rd quarter. That was indeed a gay call, but it didn't hurt us because of the penalty on the jints for Too Many Men. The really, really bad call of the game came on that same drive, on 3rd/7 from the 25. Everyone on Earth knew that the pass-rush was coming. A draw play for some positive yardage would have been the perfect call. Instead, TB takes a 7-step drop and, predictably, a sack. Absolutely awful.

I am in general agreement with the Skippy- and OL- bashing. TB also needs to share the blame; he could have called his own plays at the LOS if he thought that something else would have worked better. If 5- and sometimes 6- man protections weren't enough vs. the jints front 4 & 5, then some gadget plays - which I hope are always at their disposal - should have been called, at least to keep the DL on its heels.

This loss has - or should have - proven that an upgrade at LT, RT, or both, is needed sooner than we had hoped. Sammy Morris and, especially, David Thomas would also have helped.

Yup considering how successful the offensive game plan was against the Redskins earlier in the season. Balanced attack between Maroney running the ball and the short passing game moving the chains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes