PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh Gordon wants out of Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive come to the conclusion that the only way Gordon gets any substantial targets here is if Amendola is gone because the players you mention aren't going anywhere and will get their touches.
You're right that one extra "starter" could work, with injuries and the way McDaniels likes to vary personnel.

Trying to read between the lines why the league is dragging their feet with this kid. I have to assume there is some level of angst the league has over it's ability to legally enforce punishment and whatever they decide on Gordon can or will be challenged in the future in the courts

Nice job, Goody.
Or the league heard from a little bird that the Pats want Gordon so they have made things drag out as long as possible to make the offseason and free agency harder for the team.

I still don't get the hogan move. We have enough of those guys on the roster

No they don't. Hogan is essentially going to play the role David Givens, Jabar Gaffney, and most recently LaFell did as the outside the hashes possession receiver, and that's exactly what they were lacking. He's not a smurf receiver he's 6'1 220 and runs sub 4.5 and should be able to stretch the field some and give Brady a bigger target outside and downfield.

Ive come to the conclusion that the only way Gordon gets any substantial targets here is if Amendola is gone because the players you mention aren't going anywhere and will get their touches.

So if we base it on 600 passes (Brady has averaged 616 a year since 2011)
Gronk- 110
JE-110
Hogan-80
Bennett-80
Gordon-80
Lewis-70

Thats 530 targets and you can divide the remaining 70 targets among White, Brown, Martin, Develin, Williams, Bolden. etc.
I agree, I think that if Gordon was acquired then Amendola would probably get the axe and Hogan would take his place as the third WR. IMO, if both Hogan and Gordon picked up the offense, this would be a nice upgrade because obviously Gordon is a serious threat at receiver and even if he or Edelman were hurt, Hogan can be a decent threat on the outside too, so they wouldn't be screwed since he can step up into the WR2 role. Plus they would still have Martin as the fourth (or third in this case) guy too.

So if we base it on 600 passes (Brady has averaged 616 a year since 2011)
Gronk- 110
JE-110
Hogan-80
Bennett-80
Gordon-80
Lewis-70

Thats 530 targets and you can divide the remaining 70 targets among White, Brown, Martin, Develin, Williams, Bolden. etc.

Fair distribution of targets. However, I'd see Gordon being an every snap player along with Gronk + Edelman and Hogan being relegated to a part time role like Gaffney/Stallworth in 2007. Bennett would probably come out at times for 3 WR sets to get Hogan on the field.

Thinking Moss/Welker for the hypothetical Gordon/Edelman.

Fair distribution of targets. However, I'd see Gordon being an every snap player along with Gronk + Edelman and Hogan being relegated to a part time role like Gaffney/Stallworth in 2007. Bennett would probably come out at times for 3 WR sets to get Hogan on the field.

Thinking Moss/Welker for the hypothetical Gordon/Edelman.
Yeah I would probably put Gordon around 95 and Hogan around 65 in that scenario.

Toys I cannot see them parting ways with Gordon after losing Benjamin...maybe wishful thinking now. I think the odds are better for Dropson turning it around than a Gordon trade here.* Cannot believe I just said that*:)
I don't know. From the various media reports, they say if and when he is restated he is gone.Cleveland will get what they can get. This other stuff like "we are gonna keep him" is a bluff to drive up the price. He is cheap money this year as his contract was all up front so maybe Hue keeps him. Who knows?

But if you are is a we need young talent mode, get what you can get. Problem is they need at least a few players as place holders if anything if they are going into this new analytical "money ball" type system and are going to Draft for success. But........... as they told Dansby, they are going young and rebuilding.

With no QB. A roster full of holes. A red flag player who can screw up any second, do you need Manziel II as another albatross? Or do you get some now players who have youth and a couple of games under their belt from a winning culture and a pick?
Adds:

Kline: is an Ohio kid. Had a good half year in 2015. Second, not so much. Was a starter.
Dobson.: Snake bit here. Had a good rookie year. Honestly might be their best WR on the Bronws roster (scary) if traded (potential anyway) He is still cheap this year for them. Hartline was hurt last year and they cut Bowe. Benjamin went the FA route.

With Joe Thomas and Bitonio they have some good pieces on the O Line. Kline would probably start or move to center. They have a decent TE in Barnage and as good RB in Crowell.

I'd make the same offer for Joe Haden who is only 26, but he just had an ankle operation and two dingers last year. He is a risk with All Pro credentials but he has a $10mm salary plus three more years over $10mm. I don't know. Maybe that is cheap for a CB now.
DW Toys

Is there any smoke to this fire?

Last edited:
Enough quality WR ? No we don't. Especially not ones under 30 years old.
With size. He is our biggest and maybe one of the fastest WR on our roster. JE times slightly better.
DW Toys

I want Gordon on this team bad. I'd give up that 2nd we got for Jones for sure. He's an incredible talent. Would make this offense unstoppable.

I want Gordon on this team bad. I'd give up that 2nd we got for Jones for sure. He's an incredible talent. Would make this offense unstoppable.
At that point it would make the trade Jones for Gordon and Cooper. I still think that's okay value. But, that 2nd could also be a receiver on its own. Or they could package their two seconds to trade up and try to draft a top tier receiver. So they probably won't.

Is there any smoks to this fire?

-The Browns are cleaning house. It almost seems as if this new analytics regime is set on tanking.

-Schefter thinks Gordon will play in 2016, but is not convinced it is with the Browns.

Gordon favorites a good amount of anti-Browns tweets, as well as a ton of Pats fans and Giants tweets.

I'm not convinced pairing a rookie QB with someone like Gordon is a good idea.

It comes down to this: An All-Pro WR with a 1 million dollar cap hit in 2016 and a 4 million cap hit in 2017 (with a 1st round RFA Tender) may be available for trade. This isn't like trading for a player with crazy cap hits.

If Gordon was a saint he wouldn't be available. Same thing with Bennett.

It comes down to this: An All-Pro WR with a 1 million dollar cap hit in 2016 and a 4 million cap hit in 2017 (with a 1st round RFA Tender) may be available for trade. This isn't like trading for a player with crazy cap hits.

If Gordon was a saint he wouldn't be available. Same thing with Bennett.
Great point!
DW Toys

Is Lombardi back in Cleveland? This article is also from 2014. Times have definitely changed.
He's with the Patriots. My point was that he wanted to trade him away in Cleveland so he may not recommend trading for him here.

He's with the Patriots. My point was that he wanted to trade him away in Cleveland so he may not recommend trading for him here.

I thought he was still here. I now see the dots you're trying to connect. Sorry I missed that initially. I wonder if he's changing his tune with a better run organization and a staff that should keep him in place, not feed him alcohol that got him his suspension. The big question I have is, if you trade for him with a 2nd or 3rd, and he gets suspended again, you're pretty much screwed and have lost a pick.

I believe the desire to trade Gordon was before he eventually put up insane numbers (2013 season). That might've changed Lombardi's view on him a little...

I remember when I didn't post here, instead I just read through threads, and in pre-season/early regular season, people were mentioning that Gordon might be a trade target. Especially due to the Pats' needs at WR that year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore