PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh Barrett Placed on Injured Reserve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Barrett to IR: Niko re-signed

I agree with all these notions but why release them when you don't have any back up players who can step up. Not contributing on other teams does not translate to we cannot use them in our system.

With sanders and Merriweather I don't think our D would be dead last in the league, atleast it was not last year, but hey what do I know :rolleyes:

The consensus on this board, particularly for Meriweather, was that he was a complete liability.. and had no value.

The consensus on this board, particularly for Meriweather, was that he was a complete liability.. and had no value.

and in this instance, the evil we knew was better than the evil we didn't know

if the pats are in the process of eliminating liabilities, they have a long way to go......

Last edited:

I don't see that.
Not a Merri booster but both he and Sanders were better than what we have now. That's the real issue, not the apparent fact that nobody would give us a pick for either one. I would have opted to keep Sanders FWIW.

Why BOTH had to go continues to be a mystery to me. Sanders was a bit expensive but we have no cap problem. Abstractions like 'value' when you're not at cap risk possibly led to bad decision making.

You can repeat this fiction as many times as you wish. Meriweather and Sanders were not liabilities as #3 and #4 safeties. Belichick had the injured wannabee Barrett and special teamer Brown who he wanted to develop. Fine! That did NOT mean that we should have cut our #1 backup safety, one of our most dependable defensive backs for years, James Sanders. Judging that Sanders isn't good enough to start is one thing. Cutting Sanders is another.

And to point out that Sanders isn't succeeding elsewhere is irrelevant. Sanders knew our system well, better than any of our defensive backs. He could have continued to be our #3 safety (and start as necessary).

And Meriweather was also good enough to be our #3 or #4 or #5 in his last season for us. He wasn't good enough to start, but he was worth keeping as insurance.

Last edited:

That's not the problem though. It's what you replace them with.

Last edited:

its funny how many players last as long as they do simply because there's nobody to replace them with........

gary guyton is a perfect example

Niko Koutouvides is exactly what the doctor ordered for this defense! This move has me excited to be a fan again!!!!:rocker:

Niko Koutouvides is exactly what the doctor ordered for this defense! This move has me excited to be a fan again!!!!:rocker:

this is going to shift the scales on the defense, and ron brace will join in and feast on anyone who gets in his way

Yes, Guyton is a fine example.

He has been an inexpensive backup LB, our #3 or #4, since he arrived. he has preformed well in that role. He is now number #3 or #4, along with Fletcher. Spikes is clearly the #2.

Guyton is doing his job.
===========

I'm fine with our linebackers (and the rest of the front seven) with ONE glaring exception: Cunningham. Most thought that Dunlop was a better choice. Cunningham has had injuries, but it seems that the choice simply didn't work out.

its funny how many players last as long as they do simply because there's nobody to replace them with........

gary guyton is a perfect example

Yes, Guyton is a fine example.

He has been an inexpensive backup LB, our #3 or #4, since he arrived. he has preformed well in that role. He is now number #3 or #4, along with Fletcher. Spikes is clearly the #2.

Guyton is doing his job.
===========

I'm fine with our linebackers (and the rest of the front seven) with ONE glaring exception: Cunningham. Most thought that Dunlop was a better choice. Cunningham has had injuries, but it seems that the choice simply didn't work out.

well, as long as you think so, then what the hell was I thinking?

the LB's suck.........and they're even worse when you stick in a 4-3

I would have take sean lee over eithe cunningham or dunlap

Last edited:

We should all be thrilled to see sergio brown play more.

Might as well start Sanchez at first and goal each drive, no need to waste flags.

This is a typical ignorant post.

Niko has been activated because of injuries at ILB. Three of our four ILB's are injured. The Practice Squad exists so that we activate guys like Niko when we need them.

This is a typical ignorant post.

Niko has been activated because of injuries at ILB. Three of our four ILB's are injured. The Practice Squad exists so that we activate guys like Niko when we need them.

I wouldn't talk about ignorant posts.......koutouvides was not on the practice squad

I agree with all these notions but why release them when you don't have any back up players who can step up. Not contributing on other teams does not translate to we cannot use them in our system.

With sanders and Merriweather I don't think our D would be dead last in the league, atleast it was not last year,
It was recently impressed on most of New England how little the media and the fans actually know about what is going on inside a sports organization.

No one had a clue what was happening inside the Red Sox. And the Patriots are even more closed.

Some of you might reflect on that, on how little we actually know, when complaining that Brandon Meriwether was released. His lack of success with the Bears might be a clue.

but hey what do I know :rolleyes:
That is my point. None of us know.

Last edited:

Having read this thread I can see that there is no need to watch Sunday, as the denizens of this thread have declared defeat. What a difference two losses makes.

Really folks don't they have to play the games? Anything can happen.

On this board, it is pats fans who have the least respect and lowest expectations for the patriots.

Folks actually betting on the game have the game about even, perhaps with the jets having a small home field advantage.

Having read this thread I can see that there is no need to watch Sunday, as the denizens of this thread have declared defeat. What a difference two losses makes.

Really folks don't they have to play the games? Anything can happen.

Meriweather was almost run out of town on this forum, both this year and last year, cointinually ragged on about how poorly he was playing bad angles was a recurring theme, complete with stupid penalties.. in June he was convicted of first degree murder by the posters here.. now he is benched in Chicago.

Sanders was not doing all that much here, now he is in Atlanta and not doing much there either...

Bodden is looking for work..

Hindsight is always 20-20...

Well they stunk too, somehow the Pats managed to find three complete stiffs who'd make them look good in retrospect, I would think the idea would be to get players who would be an improvement over the exsisting. That should not have been difficult whether talking about last years pile of crap or this years pile of crap.

Last edited:

Amazing how many people her think that because Meeriwether and Sanders were disappointing it meant that Josh Barrett and Sergio Brown were automatically a better option.

If someone's arm is hurting, amputation is not the only option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST