PR......yards...avg....long.....TD
6 41 6.8 17 0

2004 (9 games)
KR.....yards....avg....yards...TD
1 28 28.0 28 0
PR.....yards....avg....yards....TD
9 157 17.4 70 1
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6973
If Willie Andrews is hurt, and Troy Brown is too important to PR, somebody's gotta do it.

Last edited:
Now that we've had some time to digest this move I would ask BB why this dude makes more sense than Darius Watts? Watts is bigger, more experienced, alledgedly has more upside and comes from a much better club that BB respects. maybe Watts didn't make through waivers...

Brady'sButtBoy said:
Now that we've had some time to digest this move I would ask BB why this dude makes more sense than Darius Watts? Watts is bigger, more experienced, alledgedly has more upside and comes from a much better club that BB respects. maybe Watts didn't make through waivers...

If it makes sense, dismiss it. Pioli and Belichick make moves all the time that make me scratch my head, yet a lot of their moves wind up in those two gentleman holding the Lombardi trophy at the end of the year. So I stop wondering, and just sit there in amazement.

Brady'sButtBoy said:

I hope I am proven wrong, but right now, this WR swap makes no sense whatsoever. If I took a pen with one hand, and paper with another, I could write the names of at least two dozen WRs whom I would have claimed before I came to Mr. Smith. In fact, as I was reading yesterday's transactions, not a blink of recognition was produced by my mind's eye when Jonathan Smith's name passed before me. In two years, this jag has a total of 8 catches at 9.6 yards per.

What was wrong with Tim Dwight? Or Bam Childress? Is Willie Andrews no longer the PR/KR? Did Smith sneak out with Buffalo's playbook?

The pats need full-time, professional-grade WRs, but instead have Reche Caldwell as the #1, and Jonathan Smith as the #5. And that's assuming that Chad Jackson, who has yet to play even one preseason game, can fill the #3 spot. And that's assuming that Doug Gabriel, he of the wonderlic score of 12, can grasp the playbook quickly enough to fill the #2 spot. And that's assuming that Troy can rest his body, and limit his snaps, as befitting the #4 spot. Never assume, as Felix Unger said, because when you assume, you make an... nevermind.

Now on to the Bam Childress appreciation thread...

Last edited:
Brady'sButtBoy said:

That's easy. BB was not at all happy with the team's kickoff/punt return situation, and Smith is very good at both. Watts doesn't play teams.

captain stone said:
I hope I am proven wrong, but right now, this WR swap makes no sense whatsoever. If I took a pen with one hand, and paper with another, I could write the names of at least two dozen WRs whom I would have claimed before I came to Mr. Smith. In fact, as I was reading yesterday's transactions, not a blink of recognition was produced by my mind's eye when Jonathan Smith's name passed before me. In two years, this jag has a total of 8 catches at 9.6 yards per.

Key word - I.

You.

Not Beioli.

You.

And I seriously doubt Bill or Scott just randomly threw their finger down on a player from the cut list and decided to pick him up.

Last edited:
You know BB and Co. have watched every piece of film on this guy, and really liked what they saw. I bet anything, he's a tremendous return man for the Pats.

Don't get me wrong, I was big on Bam even last year, and hope somehow he ends up back on the team. He might too. Stand by.

P.S. - My guess is the team still appreciates Bam, but thought perhaps there would be less chance of him being claimed then say Rech Caldwell. Relax, our boys know WTF they are doing.

captain stone said:

What was wrong with Tim Dwight? Or Bam Childress? Is Willie Andrews no longer the PR/KR? Did Smith sneak out with Buffalo's playbook?

The pats need full-time, professional-grade WRs, but instead have Reche Caldwell as the #1, and Jonathan Smith as the #5. And that's assuming that Chad Jackson, who has yet to play even one preseason game, can fill the #3 spot. And that's assuming that Doug Gabriel, he of the wonderlic score of 12, can grasp the playbook quickly enough to fill the #2 spot. And that's assuming that Troy can rest his body, and limit his snaps, as befitting the #4 spot. Never assume, as Felix Unger said, because when you assume, you make an... nevermind.

Now on to the Bam Childress appreciation thread...

I think that BB/Sp know exactly what they are doing...don't you? Can you really name one move that did not work out for them? Hell, Borges has been trying since 2000 and three Championships later - he is STILL trying.

Are we doubting that Smith was the best returner available?

I think what we seem to be disagreeing with the future of Childress. Posters see a great future, bb disagrees.

We are playing Buffalo in less than a week. Maroney is nicked. Andrew is wearing a red shirt in practive. Who exactly did you think was returning punts and kicks this week? Faulk and Hobbs?

Maybe we should have re-signing Bethel Johnson; but we needed a returner (even with Andrews healthy). The #5 receiver SHOULD be a returner.

Brown and Caldwell are likely starting, with Graham and Watson starting at TE. We have Faulk and Mills if we need more receivers. Gabriel and Jackson could be ready, or not. Childress was going to get exactly zero playing time, and likely not have been active for the game.

fgssand said:
I think that BB/Sp know exactly what they are doing...don't you? Can you really name one move that did not work out for them?

I appreciate the spirit of this, but these guys aren't infallible. I can name WAY more than one move that didn't work out for them. Let's see...

Steve Martin
Duane Starks
Donald Hayes
Monty Beisel
Chad Brown
Antuan Edwards
Tim Dwight
Andre Davis
Marquise Hill

Tim Dwight was ok, and Andre Davis was not bad either... Just not what we should have gotten in return...

patsox23 said:
I appreciate the spirit of this, but these guys aren't infallible. I can name WAY more than one move that didn't work out for them. Let's see...

Steve Martin
Duane Starks
Donald Hayes
Monty Beisel
Chad Brown
Antuan Edwards
Tim Dwight
Andre Davis
Marquise Hill

Thank you, patsox. I would, however, remove Tim Dwight from the list. I thought he worked out quite well for us; the FO just didn't re-sign him. Inexplicable. In fact, remove Jonathan Smith and add Tim Dwight, and remove Reche Caldwell and add Andre Davis, and the result is this:

Troy Brown
Tim Dwight
Andre Davis
Chad Jackson
Doug Gabriel

Not only do Dwight and Davis have a full season of playbook knowledge, and of working with Brady, but they also play STs: Dwight as KR/PR, Davis as gunner/returner. And don't forget the catch that Dwight made in Miami, and that Davis made in Denver.

Belichick and Pioli have done a terrific job of building, and maintaining, a championship-level organization. However, like all of us, they are human beings. They have made (multiple) mistakes in the past, and will make mistakes in the future. The problems at WR and LB are evidence of their fallibility. Let's hope that the eventual corrections to these problems will be evidence of their humility and adaptability.

Buffalo has one of the best special teams in the league, in fact it may be the one area of the team that the Bills are better than the Pats (on paper). Bringing in Smith gives BB someone that has been involved already in special team's game planning for the Pats. Even if Smith lasts just one week (say until Maroney is ready) - he can help with game prep.

Belichick and Pioli make their share of mistakes, but even though I thought Childress had some upside, I'm willing to see how this works out before I start condemning it as a mistake.

What BB/SP always do is try and improve the team..and this move certainly will do that for the return game...Andrews may be more hurt..so it makes much sense...Childress can return to the PSqd. It makes sense...moves to stregthen the team..

fgssand said:
I think that BB/Sp know exactly what they are doing...don't you? Can you really name one move that did not work out for them?

Fgssand, I trust this front office plenty but the above is a pretty bizarre statement. Haven't you noticed that none of last year's FA acquisitions are still with the team, including the ones we traded picks for?

For all of the disappointment about cutting Childress, if BB and SP gave any of you the option to undo this move would you do it? How about changing last year's unpopular pick of Mankins in the 1st round?

BB and SP REALLY DO know more than we do.

Andrews is currently hurt, and with his fearless returning style, will probably get hurt again in the future. I seem to remember Smith as a very fast deep threat. At worse, he's Bethel Johnson with a much better attitude.

dryheat44 said:
Andrews is currently hurt, and with his fearless returning style, will probably get hurt again in the future. I seem to remember Smith as a very fast deep threat. At worse, he's Bethel Johnson with a much better attitude.

Smith isn't a burner. He is very quick, which is why he does a good job on punt returns, but doesn't have deep threat speed (like Bethel).

He actually fits the profile of the other smaller, quicker WR the Pats have had, which looks as much for change of direction as straight-line speed.

Jonathon Smith, or Fast Freddie, is a very skilled return man. He doesn't have great speed, but he has nice moves. He isn't great on kickoffs, but on punts he can make something out of nothing. He will make guys miss in the open field.

As a WR he's iffy. He doesn't run great routes, has so-so hands, and doesn't have great hands, but if you can get the ball in his hands, he's a thread to take it to the house. Its kind of funny really that the Bills have Davis and the Pats have Smith.

The only reason smith was cut is because the Bills are VERY deep at WR (Evans, Reed, Parrish, Davis, Price) and have the best special teams in the history of football, and have a returner who lead the league in return yard average in roscoe parrish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes