PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jonathan "Moneybags" Kraft gets into fight with Jerry Jones over social media clips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I thought for sure when I saw the headline that the sides would have been different, with J. Kraft taking the side of a lenient social media policy of allowing teams to post their own clips/gifs. However, the opposite was true, with Kraft being part of the evil NFL empire looking to squeeze every penny out of its "customers" by refusing to release any footage if fans are unwilling to cough it up. I'm sure as a business move, J. Kraft is on the right side here, but it's just yet another episode of a dysfunctional group of greedy owners who bicker about everything and the idea that the NFL views its customers at ATM machines. The fact this got leaked to the press goes to show just how much the threads are coming out of the seams at Park Ave.

Report: Jonathan Kraft, Jerry Jones get into disagreement at owners meeting over NFL social media policy

J. Kraft is on the wrong side, though. If you want to boost ratings let people share gifs and clips via social media. Get people excited about their team and players. Putting unnecessary restrictions on this kind of thing is so behind the times that it borders on the insane.

Last edited:
I thought for sure when I saw the headline that the sides would have been different, with J. Kraft taking the side of a lenient social media policy of allowing teams to post their own clips/gifs. However, the opposite was true, with Kraft being part of the evil NFL empire looking to squeeze every penny out of its "customers" by refusing to release any footage if fans are unwilling to cough it up. I'm sure as a business move, J. Kraft is on the right side here, but it's just yet another episode of a dysfunctional group of greedy owners who bicker about everything and the idea that the NFL views its customers at ATM machines. The fact this got leaked to the press goes to show just how much the threads are coming out of the seams at Park Ave.

Report: Jonathan Kraft, Jerry Jones get into disagreement at owners meeting over NFL social media policy

I don't think JK fully understands the business model or economical value of social media.

J. Kraft is on the wrong side, though. If you want to boost ratings let people share gifs and clips via social media. Get people excited about their team and players. Putting unnecessary restrictions on this kind of thing is so behind the times that it borders on the insane.
As someone who enjoys making highlight videos and such, I totally agree. How could me putting together a short video with some music, making the nfl footage even more compelling, be bad for the league? We're endorsing and spreading your product... of course the NFL has to eff this up.

So, THIS is the thing that makes J Kraft flip out and take on another owner? REALLY!?

I'm assuming the story is true and if so, I thought JK was a little bit more controlled than that.

With that said, it is my understanding that Jerrah can be a real pit bull in owners meetings.

Kraft is also on the tv committee, so I imagine his position is affected by his role.

Not to say he's right, cause he's not, but just another showing of the league protecting their business relations over the fan experience.

So, THIS is the thing that makes J Kraft flip out and take on another owner? REALLY!?
Money at stake here. Tom Brady getting railroaded didn't stop Gillette stadium from getting sold out for 3 of the 4 weeks he was suspended.

I too was surprised that J Kraft was on the side defending the NFL policy. In my opinion it's another stupid policy designed to remove individuality. It's sad that sometimes I get an image of Hitler standing behind a podium while soldiers march in perfect uniformity goose-stepping with arms raised. It's sad that sometimes I think of messages coming from the NFL as propaganda. A dictatorship strives to control the message and the NFL is no different. It's alot easier to control the message if the NFL has control of social media content.

The Krafts and Jones are friends so I don't think it is anything personal. I actually side with Jones on this one.

As someone who enjoys making highlight videos and such, I totally agree. How could me putting together a short video with some music, making the nfl footage even more compelling, be bad for the league? We're endorsing and spreading your product... of course the NFL has to eff this up.

Yea that and in theory posting highlights would cannibalize the, "Just the highlights, ma'am." viewership demographic and lower subscriptions to NFL Red Zone.

The problem is that posting highlights on Twitter or the team web site is a different viewer profile.

JK is really being short-sighted here.

Last I checked my Rob Gronkowski Draft video was at 300k views. My MJD rookie year highlight reel was also a popular hit until it was taken down but has 25k views a second time around, and it's absolutely trash. How could this be bad for NFL promotion?

I'm not exactly sure what the issues are in in this mini conflict. I DO know that the Pats have always been in the forefront of technology issues and new methods of reaching their consumers. The web site was a first for the league as well as model for the rest of the league after they took over control of that medium. So was Patriots All Access. So this doesn't seem to me to be about closing access of highlights to the fans, since there are tons of them readily available on several platforms. And don't forget we get that thread that gives us replays of very play (and thanks to that poster BTW for all doing the work to give us that). So I'm wondering what exactly Kraft would be "restricting" us from seeing.

Now I'm an old man who isn't even on Facebook, let alone all the other social media platforms, but I'm not too old to know what they are. ;) So I would hope that there is someone out there who will explain to me exactly what I'd be missing if Kraft wins this debate, and/or what I'd be getting if Jones does.

I could be wrong, I think it isn't if the MFL is not going with this policy, but that Jerruh wants each team to reap the profits individually. Kind of like he wanted with jersey sales. JK wants to share the profits with the poorer teams. The Pats are actually being fairer here because they are one of the more profitable teams. If you consider getting fleeced by these greedy bastards fair. In the big scope they are all wrong, but among the greedy owners, I think JK is right. F em all anyway. They're not getting any of my $ anymore

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes