PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jonathan "Moneybags" Kraft gets into fight with Jerry Jones over social media clips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last I checked my Rob Gronkowski Draft video was at 300k views. My MJD rookie year highlight reel was also a popular hit until it was taken down but has 25k views a second time around, and it's absolutely trash. How could this be bad for NFL promotion?

If they were smart what they would do is strike a deal with Youtube and so forth allowing fans to post video clips, but the NFL get a certain(large) percentage of the ad revenue for views of the video.

As someone who enjoys making highlight videos and such, I totally agree. How could me putting together a short video with some music, making the nfl footage even more compelling, be bad for the league? We're endorsing and spreading your product... of course the NFL has to eff this up.
They just can't stand the thought of letting something get by them without squeezing every penny out of us. Long live Mark Cuban

J. Kraft is on the wrong side, though. If you want to boost ratings let people share gifs and clips via social media. Get people excited about their team and players. Putting unnecessary restrictions on this kind of thing is so behind the times that it borders on the insane.

Twenty years ago, the Star Trek universe was more popular. Lots of ST fan sites with pictures and sound bites. Then Paramount got greedy and had it's lawyers to tell those sites to take it all down...if they are out there enough, they won't be copyright protected. ST almost died from being too greedy and lack of imagination. It's recovered somewhat, but the NFL is making the same mistake if they want to live long and prosper.

Please clue me in here. How exactly is the new NFL policy going to generate additional revenue in the real world?

Krafty Jr. and Jones were so pissed at each other they sent their butlers out to brawl

So this is the 2nd times I agrees with Jerrah. First time is the whole wanting the "gloryhole".....ahem...

As someone who enjoys making highlight videos and such, I totally agree. How could me putting together a short video with some music, making the nfl footage even more compelling, be bad for the league? We're endorsing and spreading your product... of course the NFL has to eff this up.
I'm not a regular watcher of soccer. I'll tune in every four years for the World Cup, but that's about it.

However, I've fallen down a rabbit hole on watching soccer compilation videos on YouTube. Turns out if you only show the most exciting 15 minutes of a soccer game, it seems exciting. It's interesting to learn about strategies and personalities even if I'm not a regular watcher. Who knows? Maybe I'll eventually go through that gateway. But it will never happen if the soccer powers that be spend all their time taking down fan generated content.

Please clue me in here. How exactly is the new NFL policy going to generate additional revenue in the real world?

I'll take a stab at it. I'm sure that I'm missing some angles here...

It's all about 345 Park Ave controlling the distribution of it's product and content and protecting the revenue deals it has in place. They want to have a path to monetization for EVERYTHING.

Football is evolving into a business based on highlights and scores. They are losing casual fans and they don't know why. IMO the casual fan doesn't give a rat's behind on a 2nd and 7 running play that gains 4 yards. They care about scoring plays.

The problem teams like Dallas, PHI and CLE have with the policy is that they cannot reach out to its current and potentially new fans and followers and show samples of it's product (if I were CLE I would refrain from doing so but thats another conversation) which in their assessment, would drive viewership and attendance (which is on a downswing.)

What I'm not sure about is how big of a fissure exists between guys like Jones, other owners and 345Park Ave.

Does Jones think the league is doing a crappy job and he is trying to protect what he can and almost take matters in his own hands?

What Jonathan doesn't get is snippets/social media, etc can drive all kinds of additional direct/indirect revenue streams. I'd like to think he gets that but they just haven't executed at a league-level yet and he wants to be a little more cautious.

Messy...

Last edited:
It is all a proxy Draft Kings (Jerry) vs Fan Dual (Krafts) fight. Protecting Fan Dual is why I beleive Kraft folded so badly. Business wise he was looking at FanDual (at the time) being a billion dollar plus win.

So, THIS is the thing that makes J Kraft flip out and take on another owner? REALLY!?

I totally agree...that was my first thought.
After everything that's happened, been said, been insinuated....you make a stand on THIS issue???
Maybe I just don't get it...

It's all about 345 Park Ave controlling the distribution of it's product and content and protecting the revenue deals it has in place. They want to have a path to monetization for EVERYTHING.

Football is evolving into a business based on highlights and scores. They are losing casual fans and they don't know why. IMO the casual fan doesn't give a rat's behind on a 2nd and 7 running play that gains 4 yards. They care about scoring plays.

The problem teams like Dallas, PHI and CLE have with the policy is that they cannot reach out to its fans and followers and show samples of it's product (if I were CLE I would refrain from doing so but thats another conversation) which in their assessment, would drive viewership and attendance (which is on a downswing.)

What I'm not sure about is how big of a fissure exists between guys like Jones, other owners and 345Park Ave.

Does Jones think the league is doing a crappy job and he is trying to protect what he can and almost take matters in his own hands?

What Jonathan doesn't get is snippets/social media, etc can drive all kinds of additional direct/indirect revenue streams. I'd like to think he gets that but they just haven't executed at a league-level yet and he wants to be a little more cautious.

Messy...
I agree with everything you say, but you haven't answered my question. I understand that NFL HQ is a controlling bunch, but how exactly are they losing money by allowing teams to post in-game highlights?

I agree with everything you say, but you haven't answered my question. I understand that NFL HQ is a controlling bunch, but how exactly are they losing money by allowing teams to post in-game highlights?

They aren't adding cost but they believe that they are potentially missing out on revenue opportunities and do not want to set the precedent that it is ok to freely distribute NFL content without some form of monetization strategy or back-end compensation model in place.

That can potentially give the networks and cable operators leverage during negotiations as they can use that as an argument that the NFL is shifting to redistributing its broadcast rights across a broader spectrum of partners and chose not to pay as much to the NFL as they had in years past.

The problem teams like Dallas, PHI and CLE have with the policy is that they cannot reach out to its fans and followers and show samples of it's product (if I were CLE I would refrain from doing so but thats another conversation) which in their assessment, would drive viewership and attendance (which is on a downswing.)

Messy...
If the NFL is interested, I can provide them with a dossier and point to the single biggest issue at the heart of their problem. Here's a hint, it rhymes with Dodger Cuhntdell.

I guess the NFL admires how well central control worked for the Soviet Union.

It is all a proxy Draft Kings (Jerry) vs Fan Dual (Krafts) fight. Protecting Fan Dual is why I beleive Kraft folded so badly. Business wise he was looking at FanDual (at the time) being a billion dollar plus win.

Jonathan wanted FanDuel and DraftKings to merge and it got shot down. Not sure what Jerrah wanted. That might be a source of contention.

I don't think the Kraft Group has a stake in Fan Duel I would need to double check. I do know they are all-in on DraftKings

Fan Stool and Daft Kings? yup...sounds like the NFL alright

They aren't adding cost but they believe that they are potentially missing out on revenue opportunities and do not want to set the precedent that it is ok to freely distribute NFL content without some form of monetization strategy or back-end compensation model in place.

That can potentially give the networks and cable operators leverage during negotiations as they can use that as an argument that the NFL is shifting to redistributing its broadcast rights across a broader spectrum of partners and chose not to pay as much to the NFL as they had in years past.
I guess I get that, but it seems a stretch and marginal at best. Bunch of greedy a-holes. Seeing someone incur a season ending injury in seemingly almost every game for the monetary benefit of these jerks is killing the game for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes