PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

JoJo LaFell

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just heard on 98.5 that LaFell practiced with the "ones" last night and that he has been on the field in limited action for the past couple of practices.

Until he is released from PUP, this isn't allowed. It wouldn't shock me that teams play a little fast and loose, but I seriously doubt anyone would tell the media about it.

Unless he was officially activated from the PUP list I doubt he actually practiced. He might have been present at practice but I think whoever is reporting that is confused.

Opps, beaten to the punch! :)

IMO they have enough receiving talent, they should try to trade Dobson to someone like Cleveland for a 3rd. I still believe Dobson can be good but I also think New England has too many good receivers to wait around for him right now.
Can never have enough good players on the team at any position. Dobson is still young while Edelman, Lafell and Amendola are getting up there in age. Keep him now for depth and if needed they can always shop him towards trade deadline.

Until he is released from PUP, this isn't allowed. It wouldn't shock me that teams play a little fast and loose, but I seriously doubt anyone would tell the media about it.

Pats are cheaters. No other teams do this. No one ever tried to see if a player is ready to come off the PUP

Ted Wells is on speed dial.:rolleyes:

It would be great if he can go. It would mean that Dobson would not have to see the field.
Normally you and I are in the same ballpark with our ideas, but I actually want Dobson on the field early in the season. Just from afar, it seems the young kid is suffering with some confidence issues and seemingly does not like contact. My line of thinking is let's get this kid in the games early and try to help him build. We saw flashes of what he could potentially be before the foot in his rookie season. Let's see if we can bring that back. A guy with his physical tools could make this offense truly an unstoppable thing (also need good health). Anyway, I could go on, but suffice to say I disagree on this one. I actually want him to play early and, if he still can't muster, see what you can get for the dude or just cut bait.

Last edited:

I hear you, Os. But I am telling you I heard it and excitedly came home to post it. LOL Do we know with certainty that he is still on PUP? I'm not saying you're wrong at all. I'm just the messenger, I guess.

Last edited:
Two things: first, I think Dobson needs to see the field, develop a rhythm, and build up some confidence. I still see a lot of potential with him and think a lot of it is mental.
Second: What is the origin of the nickname 'Jojo'?

I hear you, Os. But I am telling you I heard it and excitedly came home to post it. LOL Do we know with certainty that he is still on PUP? I'm not saying your wrong at all. I'm just the messenger, I guess.

The team would have needed to formally take him off PUP, which would have been passed along by someone. The fact that we haven't heard about it means it almost certainly hasn't happened yet.

Normally you and I are in the same ballpark with our ideas, but I actually want Dobson on the field early in the season. Just from afar, it seems the young kid is suffering with some confidence issues and seemingly does not like contact.

This is the reason why I wouldn't want to see him on the field as a starter. The shying away from contact thing is nothing new. He did it at Marshall as well. I don't want a guy on the field full time that's going to alligator arm it when he hears the safety coming down on him. As depth? Cool. As a starter? Nope. Give me LaFell all day, every day... and twice on Sundays.

I thought I read JJ was good to go week one. So if that is the case he will be activated today and that is my guess. Or they want to play it safe and have an extra roster spot they will leave him on it. If he stays on PUP its 5 games they have to live without him.

LaFell not training today apparently. I think he's a safe scratch for Thursday.

This is the reason why I wouldn't want to see him on the field as a starter. The shying away from contact thing is nothing new. He did it at Marshall as well. I don't want a guy on the field full time that's going to alligator arm it when he hears the safety coming down on him. As depth? Cool. As a starter? Nope. Give me LaFell all day, every day... and twice on Sundays.

honest question. Is there anyone saying Dobson should be ahead of LaFell?

I'm not that concerned about LaFell. Worst case is that he takes 6 weeks off an needs a month to ramp up. I doubt there would be any long term effects and even in that scenario, I think NE has enough weaponry to be no less than above average offensively. Plus it allows the team to spend a couple months figuring out with to do with Dobson and Harper.

I'm not that concerned about LaFell. Worst case is that he takes 6 weeks off an needs a month to ramp up. I doubt there would be any long term effects and even in that scenario, I think NE has enough weaponry to be no less than above average offensively. Plus it allows the team to spend a couple months figuring out with to do with Dobson and Harper.
As per usual, NE won't be at its peak at the start of the season. BB and the staff will tinker and move guys in and out and continue to coach to improve the product on the field as the season goes along. It's also useful to have solid reinforcements come in around the mid season mark (guys coming off PUP).

BB sets his team up for success in many ways throughout the year. Whether it's drafting or signing free agents to sit and learn then contribute when the chips are down or stash some players on PUP or a guy on IR/DTR to give them a chance to get healthy and add another layer to the team later in the season. Sure, the guy makes mistakes along the way but, by and large, he has the pulse on this team and its players and sets them up for great success more than any other coach/GM.

Wouldn't be surprised if LaFell is kept on the PUP list for a few more days simply for the roster spot. The team knows what they have in him.

And this guy still blanked in weeks 1 and 2 last year and still gave us nearly 1k yards and almost 10 TDs

Wouldn't be surprised if LaFell is kept on the PUP list for a few more days simply for the roster spot. The team knows what they have in him.

You cant do that. Its now or never. Today they either reactive to roster or lose until the end of week 6. There is no 3rd option.

You cant do that. Its now or never. Today they either reactive to roster or lose until the end of week 6. There is no 3rd option.

My mistake, I thought they had until the final practice to activate him before the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes