Joel Collier is no Eric Mangini

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcyPatriot

Wall of Fame
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
What I was thinking the entire 1st 1/2 of Sunday's game was what if we had a Mangini coached secondary out here? To be honest, i have thought that all year. I don't see the same style of play we had last year and years before back there.

A great front 7 has helped make up for this so far IMO. If it's a choice of which assistant is struggling to get up to speed McDaniels or Collier...i choose Collier.....Mangini would have Manning going nuts Sunday...like he always did.

If Mangini could do it with Poteat, Randall Gay, Earthwind Moreland, Dexter Reid, Je'Rod Cherry and others .... then Collier should be able to do better with this current group who are better.

2005 : Manning 28-37-321
2006 : Manning 20-36-326

BelichickFan said:
2005 : Manning 28-37-321
2006 : Manning 20-36-326

Our D-Line was a hospital ward for that game.

Randall Gay was our safety....Seymour did not play.
Beisal and Matt Chatam on the field ...

That game was a nightmare due to injuries....not bad coaching.

F.B.N. said:
Our D-Line was a hospital ward for that game.

Randall Gay was our safety....Seymour did not play.
Beisal and Matt Chatam on the field ...

That game was a nightmare due to injuries....not bad coaching.
You said Mangini did it with those guys. He didn't. Losing Mangini is not the problem. Maybe not having Ty Law in his prime is, but losing Mangini isn't.

Mangini got many kudos as DB's coach in 2004 when a pro bowl CB and a veteran cb were lost and replaced by no-names like Samuel and Gay on the way to a superbowl. Last year as DC and DB's coach he didn't look quite as genius without Rodney in that secondary and an injury ridden front 7. It would appear that the system and Rodney had as much to do with the success of the unit in 2004 as Eric ever did. Because it didn't even improve to marginal under his continued tutelage until week 10 last year when Hawkins and Hobbs were added and Tedy and Richard were healthy enough to stabilize the front 7.

This secondary is what it is. Servicable when Rodney is part of it and the front 7 is on their game. Hopefully Hawkins has enough time in now to keep it stable for the next 6-8 weeks.

It may indeed be a factor FBN, I'll have to mull that over some, but I give Mangini credit for doing a good job with the secondary when he was here.

Box_O_Rocks said:
It may indeed be a factor FBN, I'll have to mull that over some, but I give Mangini credit for doing a good job with the secondary when he was here.

He did a good job in 2004 but last year the team was 31st in the NFL against the pass so I wouldn't say he was successsful. Overall the system has changed very little but the players have, what I like about this year is the versatility of the players (Scott, Hawkins, Wilson and Gay before he was injured can play multiple positions, Andrews may also fall into this mold) What I don't like is the lack of planning and proactive approach to improving the personnel, Hobbs & Samuels are a above average tandem but after them it drops way down. No CBs drafted, Eric Warfield brought in, they pursued Law at the very end of free agency.

I don't know if there is a silver lining, the front seven played great on Sunday and the secondary was torched. Hopefully through adjustements and more playing time as a group this area can be improved.

I don't see how you can possibly think our defense got torched, they absolutely kept us in that game even though Manning was ridiculous. A couple of those plays were simply unstoppable. If our offense had showed up we could most certainly would have won that game, the D was NOT the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News