PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets want officials to give defense more time to substitute against Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't understand why so many people hate the Jets so much. They're just not relevant enough to hate. They're like the mentally challenged kid who lives down the street. Sure he's a pain and yeah, he threw a rock through your garage window that one day, but he's something more to be pitied than hated.

The Jets, as a franchise, have thrown rocks through the Patriots' window more than once.

This is another example of the Jets making a move off the field to try to get Commissioner Goodjet to put the Patriots at a disadvantage. Spygate backfired on their sorry butts.

If there is a clear slowdown in the placement of the football and the referee waits to blow the whistle to signify the start of the play clock, we'll know the league is helping opponents adjust to the Patriots' hurry-up.

The hurry-up is two-edged sword if you ask me. The Patriots cannot close out games now because they're so gassed by the 4th quarter. What we thought was genius is just not viable with professional players who are older and more physically worn down from lengthy careers in football than college kids.

To enlist the referees to baby sit the defenses on other teams while they have meetings about who should be on the field to stop the Patriots is just wrong.

Last edited:
As expected breer has to chime on this with his slant

https://twitter.com/albertbreer

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
RT @MMehtaNYDN Are the officials bending rules for Patriots? The Jets think so... & they're not happy about it Done with Patriots games: Rex Ryan and NY Jets can't wait to sink Bill Belichick's subs, no-huddle 'O' - NY Daily News #nyj

What's interesting about that ... Jets players told me during the week that the Dolphins no-huddle is as fast or faster than New England's.

Will have more on Jets' readiness for no-huddle on GDM ... But NYJ players told me Miami's fast-break prepared them for NE pace.

The no-huddle rule, BTW, is that the ref stands over the ball until defense has chance to sub. Was a BIG problem w/replacement refs

Austin French ‏@Frenchy180
@AlbertBreer reading that pisses me off... Patriots finding another way to skirt the rules.

and he doesnt correct people assuming pats are bending rules. its the job of the officials to see the D has subbed..not the pats to check and ask the defense if they are ready
Never in the history of mankind has anyone been more aptly named than Albert...

Could Brady line up the team, let the Jets sub, and snap as soon as they are on the field? Out of position?

Once the official steps away from the ball the offense can snap it whenever it wants.

Wait so jets want people to believe Ryan Tannenhill in his 3rd game runs a quicker no huddle than Tom Brady?

Last edited:
What's interesting about that ... Jets players told me during the week that the Dolphins no-huddle is as fast or faster than New England's.
... But of course no challenge on the rules

The no-huddle rule, BTW, is that the ref stands over the ball until defense has chance to sub. Was a BIG problem w/replacement refs

Now this is an interesting point. Remember a few years ago when they made some changes in emphasis and the offense couldn't go until the refs said so? And P Manning was so upset? IIRC, there was an outcry about the league messing with poor Peytie's style — and Polian actually made a stink and got the refs to ease up a bit.

Also ... if the refs are doing this ... how could what the Pats are doing be "illegal"?

I just don't understand why so many people hate the Jets so much. They're just not relevant enough to hate. They're like the mentally challenged kid who lives down the street. Sure he's a pain and yeah, he threw a rock through your garage window that one day, but he's something more to be pitied than hated.

I used to hate them a lot more in prior seasons. Now I hate the Ravens more than the Jets.

I think they do this times. For example sometimes when a play is over
the one RB goes out and a different comes in as they are getting to the line.
Almost sure I saw something like this happen.( it might have be a WR sub)

Yes PATs do sub. Watch the Denver game with about 5 mins left in the 1stQ.
Riddley goes out then, play run no RB then Bolden is in on next play.

Unfortunately, you are right. And, that play is the example that is cited in the New York media.

If the Pats substitute and go no-huddle, as they did in that case, the rule clearly states that the Defense gets the chance to adapt, which it did not, resulting in a "12 men on the field" penalty as they scurried to make adjustments. They don't get time to sit down and order a four course dinner, but they do get a reasonable chance to get players on the field to match up to the changes on the Offense.

Solution: play Hurry Up and don't substitute; then the Jests have nothing about which to whine.

Last edited:

Anyone who has a child with an emotional or learning disability would take exception to your use of the word "pitied." If you want to discuss further, let's meet in the Political Forum, though, so as not to hijack this one.

I honestly have never seen a no huddle offense like the one the Patriots have run, especially in the Broncos game. That was insane.

It's now being reported that they actually called the NFL

It's now being reported that they actually called the NFL

Can imagine the conversation....

Jets : Uncle Roger, the big bad Patsies are mean and make us rush without getting substitutions in. They CHEAT!

Jetdell : Dont worry Rexy, we will handle them.

Per ESPN, the New England Patriots have been BANNED from the remainder of the season. Bill Belichick has been fined eleventybillion dollars and Tom Brady was sniped getting into his car.

:bricks::bricks:

im expecting a lot of flopping in this game after reading this.

So its OK that Peyton has been doing this all these years , but its wrong only when the Pats do it?

It would really take a massive hypocrite to obviously cheat after calling out someone else for it. If Rex does this, it is beyond loathsome.

So I'm reading Sal JetsPalantonio's regurgitation and a few things come to mind:

- How much time is the defense supposed to have to substitute? Does the D's coach need to give som sort of a-ok sign?
- The way they're throwing around the word "illegal" -- is this something for which the Pats could actually be flagged? Or is it something that the refs are supposed to control ... so not technically illegal. (I know they have to be set at snap ... but most of the discussion seems to be about substituting).

Anyway, nice to know the Jets are so afraid of this.

I didn't have time to look through the whole thread, so don't know if this was already discussed. I think this complaint, combined with the fact that Jeff Triplette is the ref for today's game, does NOT bode well for the Pats. Now we are going to have to play above the officiating too. Triplette is the ABSOLUTE WORST in the NFL (think Denver playoff game, 2005). Not saying we are doomed, but we are going to have to play even better than we thought to overcome the inevitable bad calls that will arise. McCourtey, we could use a return to your rookie form for this game.

i hope the pats put up 50 on this whiny team

Anyone who has a child with an emotional or learning disability would take exception to your use of the word "pitied." If you want to discuss further, let's meet in the Political Forum, though, so as not to hijack this one.
Ha ha wolfie take that. :D He can't go to the political forum to duke it out cause hes been BANNED :rocker:

Last edited:
Or attempted flopping. Wasn't it the jests that started the whole flap over flopping in a game against the pats, or was that the giants?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes