PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jerome Bettis on Suggs Penalty

Status
Not open for further replies.
No you're right, you asked how I would feel if Suggs brushed close to Manning like he did Brady and to come back and let you know.

Manning has been playing since 98. Do you honestly think he hasn't taken shots that make Suggs falling towards Brady and barely touching him look like the joke it was?

If Manning gets hurt, by playing football, so be it.

Joe Theisman got hurt. Joe Montana got hurt. Johnny U got hurt. Dan Marino got hurt. McNabb got hurt. Aikman got hurt. Young got hurt.

QB's get hurt.

Yeah! Lets screw all rules and go back to three yards and a cloud of dust! Seriously, what's your point?

No you're right, you asked how I would feel if Suggs brushed close to Manning like he did Brady and to come back and let you know.

Manning has been playing since 98. Do you honestly think he hasn't taken shots that make Suggs falling towards Brady and barely touching him look like the joke it was?

If Manning gets hurt, by playing football, so be it.

Joe Theisman got hurt. Joe Montana got hurt. Johnny U got hurt. Dan Marino got hurt. McNabb got hurt. Aikman got hurt. Young got hurt.

QB's get hurt.

QBs do get hurt. Not a lot of them get hurt on attempted dirty hits. If you don't think it's dirty then perhaps you can try to explain how Suggs went from an upright running position to falling without tripping over anything or being pushed by ANYBODY? Please feel free to watch the video and let all of us know...

YouTube - Suggs Cheap Shot on Brady

Good luck as well. Bronco fans really couldn't figure it out either. They just kept coming back and said, "it wasn't dirty. It was a weak call", without really explaining ANYTHING that they saw from the video. I suspect you'll probably do the same. :rolleyes:

Responding with insults. Imagine a Pats fan doing that.

The call was ridiculous (IMO). Maybe it was within the rules, but the refs have to use discretion. If they called every penalty the game would be one nonstop flag fest. The refs use discretion on most calls right? There isn't a machine that makes calls or a formula they use.

Calling a penalty on that Suggs play is a joke.

Was talking about the hand to the head Ngata penalty.

Called correctly, just like the similar penalty on Wright that perhaps you haven't noticed not many here are complaining about.

But the Ngata one is the only hand to the head penalty that happened, right? Stop being disingenuous. There was the same call on Wright. Ignore it all you want, but it occurred.

Yeah, Manning has never had a low shot thrown his way before. No other QB in the league has ever had to step out of the way of a rusher like Brady.

No other QB has ever been hurt before.

I wonder how non-Patriot fans would respond to something like that?

Like Bill (Rules Committee) Polian?

What a ridiculous hypocrit!

Get a clue.

Last edited:
I haven't ignored anything, I said I didn't get to see the game. Just the Suggs play.

The rule is horrible. That's my point. Doesn't matter if it's called on the Pats or against them.

This isn't a Pats thing, it's a dumb rule thing.

You sure did ignore my post though. Go back to my last one, watch the video, and please explain IN DETAIL why that was not a dirty shot.

I haven't ignored anything, I said I didn't get to see the game. Just the Suggs play.

The rule is horrible. That's my point. Doesn't matter if it's called on the Pats or against them.

Here's Tedy Bruschi with his answer to Bill Polian :)07-:20 of the video)

YouTube - Bruschi - You wanna to change the rules? - version 2

As I said REPEATEDLY, the RULE may be bad. The refs however, have to call by the rulebook. The CALLS were correct.

Why is anyone arguing with this clown?

The only reason this event is relavent is because the Pats benefitted. Where was this clown after the week one call on Wilfork?

What Dolt Boy doesn't want to admit is if it Manning vs Brady, the booth monkeys at ESPN and NFLN would be creaming over themselves to explain how smart Manning was for knowing the rules and officials.

Why is anyone arguing with this clown?

The only reason this event is relavent is because the Pats benefitted. Where was this clown after the week one call on Wilfork?

What Dolt Boy doesn't want to admit is if it Manning vs Brady, the booth monkeys at ESPN and NFLN would be creaming over themselves to explain how smart Manning was for knowing the rules and officials.

I've been reading his nonsense. Let him drift off into irrelevent-land as you would treat your 4 year old who is having a tantrum and don't even acknowledge the behavior (speaking from experience). You can fight, scream and debate and he'll never get it b/c he doesn't want to. Hes been drugged just like Irsay was when he had a little bit of a tussle with painkillers and coke.

His insinuations aren't even worth offering a rebuttal too.

Let him argue with the other uneducated fans who yap all day on how much they long for the days of Tarrick Glenn on the IndyStar boards....

Last edited:
Well, since we're making ridiculous comments how about just giving the QB's flags?

What's your point?

My point is that your argument makes no sense. Arguing against a rule to protect quarterbacks by listing all the great quarterbacks that have had their careers shortened by injuries is not a point in your favor.

And if your only issue is that you don't like the rule, why come here to argue it? Polian is the one that put it in place, not Brady.

I didn't see the game so the only play I can comment on is that Suggs play and that wasn't a dirty play.

If Suggs was actually trying to hit brady he did a piss poor job of it. From what I've heard Brady said it wasn't a dirty play, he just knew he could get a penalty called. Someone told me that so I don't know if he actually said it, but it didn't look dirty to me at all. He barely even touched Brady.

Go ahead and say it's my "hatred of the Patriots" (like I don't hate the Ravens) that makes me say that but it's true.

That was a joke of a penalty. Sooner or later the Brady Rule is going to be called in a game that will cost a team a PO game or a PO win and it's going to blow up in the leagues face.

The way it is now is ridiculous. QB's should get hit too.

Last time I checked, colts fans should not be whining about rule changes.

I didn't see the game so the only play I can comment on is that Suggs play and that wasn't a dirty play.

So why did he dive at his right knee? He didn't fall, wasn't pushed, didn't stumble and somehow ended up "falling" at Brady's knee...It's right there on video.

I'm not saying he was seeking to cause injury, only he can answer that but it's clear as day he was around Brady's knee because he put himself there. Call it a bit of gamesmanship, dirty, whatever it was thats going to be flagged nine times out of ten this season so you have to deal with that and don't put yourself in a position where your going to be flagged, Suggs did so it got called.

FWIW I think QB's get too much protection but it is what it is.

Look this is a Pats board, I get it. Pats homers, all of you. But that was a joke of a call.

And for the talk about other teams whining for penalties and things you sure don't seem to mind when Brady did it.

But it was a bad call.

How do you feel about illegal contact calls where the defender hardly touches the receiver? Are you going to say those are joke calls as well? Or should we follow those calls to the letter of the rule?

I believe what your trying to say is..

Look this is a Pats board, I get it, (yet I'm still here arguing away). Anyways Pats homers, all of you (duh) but that was a good call based on the ruling for this season.

What I'm trying to say is I don't agree with the rule, not the call based on the rule....no wait, yeah thats right hehe, nearly confused myself there.

I didn't ingore your post he was falling and barely touched Brady. How is that dirty?

Ugh. You're being intentionally dense I see.

#1. He barely touched Brady because Brady had released the ball three seconds earlier and was watching the play. Because he was just standing there, he could get his leg out of the way. If Suggs had been three seconds earlier, Brady would have been out for the season.

#2. You've still yet to explain how Suggs fell. He sure as hell wasn't pushed. If anything, you can see Koppen holding him... and not succeeding. He sure as hell didn't trip over his own feet. You can see that by watching the replay. So how did go from an upright position to suddenly falling without so much as a stumble? It's a rhetorical question, of course. The answer is that he fell to the ground on purpose. Face it: it was a cheap shot. Like we've all been saying, if it were Manning you'd be saying the exact same thing as we are.

Does anyone else wonder if BigTimeColtsFan is actually Bill Polian's Multiple Split Personality #6 argung internally with Bill Polian's Multiple Split Personality #4?

You're being overly literal and you're doing it on purpose. We both know why the rule was set up, and it wasn't to prevent pansy little slaps to the helmet. The rule was set up for helmet-to-helmet contact.

I've been playing and following football my whole life, and I can't honestly remember one time where a defender has drawn a flag for a slap to the helmet on a sack. However, since you're saying this with such conviction, I'll assume you do. Please feel free to tell all of us about an instance in the NFL (hell, I'll give you college to) where you remember this happening WITHOUT using Google. Sorry to say, but I think you'll be hard pressed to do it. I think you'd be hard pressed to do it even WITH Google.

I agree wholeheartedly with what you are saying and the reason you are saying it, but Shmessy is right. Your problem is with the rule, not the call. The rule states in part,

15 Yards (and disqualification if flagrant)

3. Striking opponent on head or neck with forearm, elbow, or hands whether or not the initial contact is made below the neck area.

This is different than the "helmet to helmet" rule.

You may disagree that these brushes to the head in the Wright and Ngata situations don't qualify as "striking the opponent", but the rule is in place and at least the officials were consistent in their application.

Do I think these situations follow the spirit of the rule? No, but they follow the rule literally and as such they were the correct call. IMO it is much like the tuck rule. Raiders fans may not like it, but the call was right. The rule was/is sh!t. Anyone who ever played sandlot football knows what is and isn't a fumble. The NFL for whatever reason, decided to change that. In this Ngata/Wright case, any "blow" to the head gets called for a penalty. Since you wanted some other examples of this being called in similar situations, I will give you one recent one and one not so recent. It was called on Abidi(sp?) for the Texans against Favre (Vikes)this year in the preseason and a couple years ago, EJ Henderson for the Vikes was called for a similar penalty when he ran by Favre and tapped him on the helmet. I think he was actually just acknowledging Brett and it was kind of a "hello" type thing. My wife actually kisses me harder than Favre got hit but the penalty was still called. If you want I can check my DVR because I know similar calls were made in a couple Raiders games this year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft